N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Making my first trip to an NHL game tomorrow for the first game in the Bruins - caps tomorrow, was at the Celtics game at the garden tonight and enquired About availability thinking they would be long gone. Not cheap but really looking forward to it. Been to fenway tour as well and Mets - Braves at the weekend so overdosing big time on sports I know little about.

Playoffs Upon us, as follows:

West

Canucks v Kings

Blues v Sharks

Coyotes v Hawks

Preds v Wings

East

Rangers v Sens

Bruins v Caps

Panthers v Devils

Pens v Flyers

Good to see the Flyers get one over the Pens today away from home.

My predictions are Canucks, Blues, Hawks, Wings, Rangers, Bruins, Devils and Flyers.

I subscribe to NHL vault which works out at less than £4 a month. I don't get to see games live but can watch them in full (minus annoying breaks) and an average game can be seen in about 1 hour 40 mins. Also they have condensed highlights (10 to 12 mins) of each game and by default it is set not to show the final score of the games you are watching. Also you can watch all NHL games for at least the last 3 years in full and there is a classic section where you can watch hundreds of classic games from the 1960's up to the present day. Great value and makes a lot of sense with the time difference and not needing to hang about between periods and being barely awake to enjoy the game. I've picked the Pens v Flyers series to try and watch all or most in full and can catch all the other 1st round games in highlights which is more than just goals that you would get on NHL.com while trying to cover half the screen so not to spoil the score. For the hardcore there is NHL gamecentre which costs a lot more but can offer games live and in high def worth it from the start of the season if you use it enough I guess but I'm happy with vault.

Stunning start to the play-offs for Devils. 1st period and a 3-0 lead in Florida from 26 shots! Crazy. Haven't played with that intensity all season.

Theodore was fantastic in goal for them with some great saves as well. Lots of rebound chances though.

Saw Pens throw it away the other night and we already lost from a 3-0 lead in Florida at the start if the season. Hope we keep after them in the next 2 periods.

A thing of beauty even if their defence stood and watched!

Oh well, held on for a 3-2 win. You take that every time in the play-offs though. At least we held a lead!

I see Penguins still can't shake off the Flyers. 5-5 at the moment.

Edited by RWB

....For the hardcore there is NHL gamecentre which costs a lot more but can offer games live and in high def worth it from the start of the season if you use it enough I guess but I'm happy with vault.

Gamecentre Live for me. Don't usually miss a Devils game one way or another. Love it but annoying if the scores are turned on 'cause you left them on from last time. Ruined a couple of games for me including a 6-4 win.

Watched Devils collapse to defeat last night from a 3-0 lead and just tuned in to see Pens v Flyers tonight.

Was 2-1 for Pens but they were under the cosh for a few minutes due to consecutive penalties (4v4, 3v4 then 4v5) and it cost them 2 goals. Oh, back to 3-3 now!

Life in them yet but...never mind, 4-3 Pens! I'll get this post finished yet!

Was going to say they'll need to keep their nerve and discipline and that it could be a tense finish!

Edit

Ah, what do I know? 10-3 for Pens. Mental. Just looking down the scoresheet, PPG, PPG, PPG etc

Edited by RWB

So for the 4th game in a row in the series, and the 3rd time by the Devils, the score went to 3-0. This time Florida looked slower to the puck as Devils played 3 periods instead of half of one period. The 4th goal finished it and Brodeur got another assist with his shut-out. Good stuff. I expect another response from Florida. Can it go to 3-0 again? 2-2 in the series now just as it was during the season.

Is this the day that Pittsburgh & Detroit fall at the first?

"Almost time for some wide open, undisciplined, crazy hate filled hockey." - Flyers fan on NHL website

Canucks on the verge of trashing their city on Sunday as well?

Devils were outpaced again and went down 3-0 last night (yes 5 games in a row it's gone to 3-0 now). Below par effort and got what we deserved. Be lucky to get through as Florida's breakouts are far superior to ours. Generally dump and chase for us while they carry it in with pace and menace. Our passing and control looks sloppy far too often.

Watched Flyers sending the Pens out. It'll be really good team that beats the Flyers. I thought their 'keeper(s) would cost them but Flyers really took advantage of the PP & a suspect Fleury/defence in this series.

Sharks gone as usual, Devils won't be far behind, as usual. Red Wings gone, Rangers and Canucks on the verge of going and Boston need a game 7 v Caps. Some surprises at least.