N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I've decided to take an interest in hockey since i Randomly bought NHL12, I've also decided that the NJ Devils are my team.

i have a few questions. What Is Icing? What is Offsides? (think that has something to do with the puck being behind the player in possesion, not sure though)

I've decided to take an interest in hockey since i Randomly bought NHL12, I've also decided that the NJ Devils are my team.

i have a few questions. What Is Icing? What is Offsides? (think that has something to do with the puck being behind the player in possesion, not sure though)

Icing is basically when someone dumps the puck through two red lines, usually they would be in their own "half" and it will go through to the back wall. Icing isn't enforced when a team is short-handed.

Offside is if a player enters the attacking zone before the puck does, played by their own team of course.

Good man. :D It was EA Sports NHL game that got me into this properly too (I played as Devils because of their Clyde colours and I stuck with them) although I used to love watching it in the olden days of World of Sport, Grandstand & Scotsport. That was generally British & international hockey though. The Stanley Cup would only be briefly covered if memory serves.

what channels show Ice hockey and when dos the season start?

ESPN had it on cable I think but they've sold the rights. Not sure if anyone is picking it up here. I paid to watch it online via ESPN Player for a couple of years after getting a wee bit fed up hunting the web for decent feeds. Looks like Gamecentre Live on NHL.com will have it outside America at last. Apparently there will be updates at the end of September about this. If the price is similar to ESPN (£70 for regular season if you buy early) then I might go for it. Couple of links later in this thread show the better quality you can end up with if you pay. Plenty of free streams out there though.

Season starts on 8th Oct for Devils but 2 days before that for some other teams. Pre-season games start today, Monday 19th, but Devils not playing big rivals NY Rangers until Wednesday and again on Friday. NY Islanders on Saturday. Check HFBoards for GDT (Game day threads) for possible video streams of games. NHL.com for schedules, news, stats, etc and a link to all the clubs across the top of their home page.

Looking forward to a more stable season for Devils and a play-off place. The new coach will maybe need time but we really need to hit the ground running this season. Parise is back after missing last season with injury so that should help on the goal front. 6m55s v Canadiens was a great OT win after equalising with seconds to spare I'm sure. Jumped out of bed for that one I think! You can tell from Doc Emrick's commentary how exciting that game was. May as well throw in the

. While I'm at it,
. Never looked on that night but what a finish.

Pity that Doc Emrick the commentator has left the Devils now for another network and we're getting the horrible Steve Cangelosi. Shat scaaars = shot scores.

Just trying to get you into the swing of things. :D It's working for me too! You can look up Youtube for the Stanley Cup wins and the wiki for more history.

Just ignore all the insults for choosing Devils when they come your way . :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Been into the NHL off and on for years, really dependant on what TV coverage there is, the NASN deal with Setanta was superb. nhl.com played out a fantasy season via the EA game engine with these results: click

Realistic?

Jaromir Jagr back in NHL action for a hugely revamped Flyers side tonight. 11 of 20 players who played in the play-off loss to Boston have now moved on.

Ok, signed up for GameCentre Live ($19.95 a month) and impressed already! Pretty much a TV quality feed for me just as ESPN was. Difference is all the extra options. Up to four games on screen at once and PIP option as well with ability to swap them. Can hopefully avoid the ads that way! Pause/rewind live games. Archive for watching games at a sensible hour.

Leafs are struggling to get out their own half so far v Habs. Both sides seem a bit sluggish.

Bruins only now getting to the anthems after all the speeches etc. (Edit - Much better pace to this game compared with the game over the border)

Edited by RWB

Just watched the highlights. Flyers upset the Bruins on banner-raising night, great goal from Giroux, even better goal-line clearance from Timmonen.

Leafs shut the Habs out, but what about all the empty seats? Any reason for that? I thought the Leafs sold out every game, regardless of how bad they are/have been.

Looked like a fine game in Vancouver, Pens nicking the SO win. They`ll be happy to pick up as many points as possible until Crosby returns.

Some good action last night

Jagr & Giroux linked up well last night for the Flyers added with a decent netminder they might be in with a shout this year

Thought (Optimus) Reimer was outstanding for the Leafs - I think they will make play-offs if he stays healthy

I believe it was a sell-out at ACC for HabsvLeafs but I think many were slow getting back to their seats for the 1st goal.

There's some amount of dross making up the numbers on the San Jose roster. Brad Winchester? Michal Handzus? Still they are thumping the Coyotes 6-1. For whom I, note, have Mike Smith in goals. I remember seeing him lose the plot completely for Tampa Bay in New York one time, most amusingly.

Leafs back in action tomorrow after a week without any games. Good start to the season beating the Habs 2-0 and the Sens 6-5 (after nearly chucking a 5-1 lead). Hat-trick for Phil Kessel in the Sens game, hoping for plenty of the same from him rest of the year.

Hopefully we can sneak into the playoffs this year, but the aim is to keep building for the next two or three seasons until we've got a team capable of challenging for the Cup.

Leafs beat the Flames 3-2 on Saturday to go 3-0-0, great start for us. Phill Kessel added another 2 goals, he's had an amazing start to the year, 5 goals, 3 assists, 8 points in 3 matches with a +/- of 7 alongside Dion Phaneuf. Kessel has netted 5 out of 11 shots too, giving him a 45% shot tally. Joffrey Lupul has started well too, with 5 points (2+3).

Next up, home game vs Colorado tonight.