Jump to content
Savage Henry

N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Recommended Posts

Got a friend who works in the hospital a block or two away from the rioting and he said it was mostly just a handful of people causing the trouble, the rest was people cordoned in by the police making the area look mobbed by rioters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a friend who works in the hospital a block or two away from the rioting and he said it was mostly just a handful of people causing the trouble, the rest was people cordoned in by the police making the area look mobbed by rioters.

They had tons of possibilities to make their way out of troubled areas. They were even given instructions on how to do so via loudspeakers (in case they couldn't navigate their hometown), read the riot act (which threatens life imprisonment), and given half an hour to get the f**k away. There isn't too much of an excuse for those who stuck around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had tons of possibilities to make their way out of troubled areas. They were even given instructions on how to do so via loudspeakers (in case they couldn't navigate their hometown), read the riot act (which threatens life imprisonment), and given half an hour to get the f**k away. There isn't too much of an excuse for those who stuck around.

That wasn't my point, what i was saying is, 99% of the crowd were in the area and causing no trouble the other 1% were the ones destroying property etc. It looked worse than it was.

Vancouver is a place I have been several times, each time in the midst of hockey season and i saw no trouble in any of the times i visited. Coudln't have been anymore friendly a place. Even contemplating moving there once me and the Fiance are married in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That wasn't my point, what i was saying is, 99% of the crowd were in the area and causing no trouble the other 1% were the ones destroying property etc. It looked worse than it was.

Vancouver is a place I have been several times, each time in the midst of hockey season and i saw no trouble in any of the times i visited. Coudln't have been anymore friendly a place. Even contemplating moving there once me and the Fiance are married in the summer.

I'm not saying everyone was violent, but that everyone there was there by choice and not caged in. And standing around taking photos of people smashing up cars and windows doesn't exactly help anything. Vancouver is indeed a great city filled with great people, but anyone apart of those mobs didn't have a fully-functioning brain in their head. I think had the Canucks won that night, the number of disorderly people would have been much, much lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharks trade Devin Setoguchi for Brent Burns. Not overly impressed by that, they must have great faith in Logan Couture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sharks trade Devin Setoguchi for Brent Burns. Not overly impressed by that, they must have great faith in Logan Couture.

Burns is overrated, I'd much rather have Setoguchi, a really clever, really dangerous forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these contracts that are being handed out are ridiculous.

6 years/$33 million for Wisniewski

9 years/$60 million for Brad Richards

10 years/$40 million for freaking Christian Ehrhoff

And I'm surprised the front loaded contract that Bryzgalov was given was even allowed, it looks they'll have the easy option buy him out or move him in the final three years but will still soften that cap hit for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these contracts that are being handed out are ridiculous.

6 years/$33 million for Wisniewski

9 years/$60 million for Brad Richards

10 years/$40 million for freaking Christian Ehrhoff

And I'm surprised the front loaded contract that Bryzgalov was given was even allowed, it looks they'll have the easy option buy him out or move him in the final three years but will still soften that cap hit for now.

It was allowed because it's within the rules that were drawn up following the Kovyalchuck shenanigans. The cap hit can drop year on year by half of the salary in either of the first two years (whichever is lower), the biggest drop in his is $3.25m, which is exactly half his salary in 12-13. Richards is worse in my opinion, dropping from $7m to $1m, clearly cap circumvention but within the guidelines the NHL drew up, while Max Talbot's contract wasn't (dropping $1.25m from $2.25m to $1m).

I actually think Ehrhoff's contract is ok, certainly from a cap hit point of view and since Buffalo has a new billionaire owner he is the only one really suffering. A $4m cap hit on Ehrhoff is good business, I'm sure the Canucks would have taken him at that but not committed to that length, and he could have got (indeed he was offered) a fair bit more elsewhere albeit on a shorter contract. $18m in the next 12 months though which is pretty sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these contracts that are being handed out are ridiculous.

6 years/$33 million for Wisniewski

9 years/$60 million for Brad Richards

10 years/$40 million for freaking Christian Ehrhoff

And I'm surprised the front loaded contract that Bryzgalov was given was even allowed, it looks they'll have the easy option buy him out or move him in the final three years but will still soften that cap hit for now.

I'm glad that Calgary never signed anyone during the first couple of days, some overpriced players going to clubs.

Glad we were able to sign Babchuk again, $2.5 million per season is a good price.

Edited by a_mac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter DeBoer named as the new Devils coach today. Wonderful name to fit the alleged Devils hockey ethos. :lol: Hope he hits it off and he does seem motivated to show people he's worth another chance after a couple of bad seasons with Florida. He did always strike me as a worried, lost man behind that bench. Great first season with them though. Expecting us back on course for the play-offs this season.

Have added some strength (and mindless violence?) to the squad with the return of Cam Janssen. Eric Boulton adds strength, if no goals, to our lightweight forwards and defender Adam Larsson comes in as a top draft selection. Need to see who gets shipped out now but looks not too bad so far if not spectacular. Not quite the big money nonsense of last pre-season anyway. Perhaps getting Parise on board again shortly still makes it a pretty successful week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...