N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Big one tonight for the Pens - looking to extend the current winning streak to 13 against the Flyers. And to think some Pens fans were calling for Bylsma earlier in the season. Shows that some fans are never happy in ANY sport.

Amusing to see OV and the Capitals get their asses handed to them on a plate against the Rangers the other night, however.

The Pens winning streak has come to a crashing end today losing to the Flyers 3-2. Philadelphia were much stronger on the forecheck which helped them today, lots of good pressure by them.

Was good to see OV get in a bit of a bust-up in the Rangers game obviously trying to spark his team to life, same thing Sid did back in November to get them on a winning streak. As for the Habs I just hope we get our game back tomorrow when the Flyers visit as they will be looking for revenge from their last visit to the Bell Centre.

You're American right?

No.

And sigh. End of the streak, oh well. Time to start a new one, no time like the present! I haven't watched last nights game yet, but I'll probably watch it tonight. Always hard to watch a full match the next day when you know you've lost already.

There was talk last year that a team would be set up in Hamilton in Ontario if there was going to be a spot left by Phoenix if they folded there but nothing came of it. I would much rather see the old Quebec Nordiques enter the NHL again if this was to happen rather than a team in Hamilton or Winnipeg but I agree it should go to Canada though.

The guy who has been poised to buy the Coyotes for a few years, I forget his name, would ideally move them to Hamilton but the Maple Leafs were having none of it. I suspect the same would be true if he tried to revive the Nordiques, Winnipeg was settled on as a compromise.

Feel free wink.gif Called the Flyers beating the pens (again) as a correct result, I'll see you at new year to take the gloating up after the winter classic tongue.gif

Still thinking Ovi and Stamkos are better than Crosby?

Edited by Virtual Insanity

The guy who has been poised to buy the Coyotes for a few years, I forget his name, would ideally move them to Hamilton but the Maple Leafs were having none of it. I suspect the same would be true if he tried to revive the Nordiques, Winnipeg was settled on as a compromise.

Yeah thats very true, I was living in Toronto at the time and working at the Maple Leafs when all the news broke out and plenty of Leafs fans live in Hamilton as it's not too far from downtown Toronto and the GTA and no NHL team there to follow so Leafs looked at it as another team nudging into a big market for them. With the Quebec Nordiques however it wont be quite the same situation as they have already previously played in the NHL and in Quebec City not all of them are Habs fans as lots of them were old Nordiques supporters. Quebec City is obviously an entirely different city to Montreal and their residents are very proud to identify themselves as being from the capital fo Quebec and the rivalry would resume between them plus its a hockey mad place. All 3 places would be great for the NHL and I'd like to see any of them get a spot in it.

• 2 weeks later...

The winter classic was a good game. Caps fully deserving of their 3-1 win and could easily have had another if Chimera hadn't of missed that wrap-around. Some decent hits in the game too.

As for the Habs, we haven't been faring too well lately and have gone into a bit of a rut. Our 7 game roadtrip wasn't great and we got beat in OT today by the Thrashers at home. Still hanging in the playoffs spots though and would rather us go into a slump now rather than later.

The Maple Leafs are currently up 8-1 in Atlanta against the Thrashers at the end of the 2nd period.

First game of 2011 I'm watching, this surely can't be happening? EIGHT? With 20 more minutes left? It's been so bad for the Thrashers they hooked their first choice netminder during the 2nd period, and by the end of the period he was back on the ice.

Edited by The_Belgian

Leafs finished the game with a 9-3 win. Five powerplay goals, 9 goals in 34 shots, and two horrific save % from Pavelec (.792) and Mason (.600), in contrast to the Leafs .932 for Reimer.

The key moment was the six goal blitz in the final eight minutes of the 2nd period which saw the Leafs take it from 2-1 to 8-1, which saw 3 powerplay goals, a double for Kulemin and two goals in the last minute for Clarke MacArthur.

Even though we've been sh*te this year, that was f*cking sublime. Go Leafs Go!

The Canucks have:

Two of the top 5 points scorers in the league (Daniel and Henrik Sedin)

Two of the top 5 goalscorers in the league (Daniel Sedin and Ryan Kesler)

The second best faceoff man in the league (Manny Malhotra - although he's really the best)

The best team faceoff percentage in the league by a distance

The best powerplay in the league (25 PP goals on the road, 6 ahead of the 2nd placed Sharks)

The third best penalty kill in the league

The highest goals per game average

The fifth lowest goals conceded average

One loss in regulation in their last 20 games!

Not bad. Facing up to 2nd in the Western Conference Red Wings tonight, should be a cracker.

Edited by Virtual Insanity

Got £20 on the Canucks at 16/1 for the cup at the start of the season, massively overpriced. 888 have now brought them down to 4/1 which is ridiculously short. Think the Flyers are the best bet available at 10/1, even without Pronger they have a decent lead (in games at least) over the Pens in the Atlantic, think the winner of that division will probably win the East.