N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Got to love how everyone follows suit with the North American dislike of Crosby and the Penguins. Why? Because they've got a really good team? I'm not a Penguins fan but I've got no problem with them, certainly prefer the Pens to the Flyers in any case.

I dont dislike Crosby at all, I just have never really liked the Pens even before they made the Stanley Cup final two years running.

I read today that the NHL will be using a draft type system for the All-Star game where two team captains will be voted for and then they have a night where they do a draft like system picking players for their team, could be quite interesting.

Devils finally win their 1st home game with a 4-3 OT win v Oilers. Man of the moment and my own personal favourite Kovalchuk fired home the winner in OT with a PP goal. Pretty poor penalty call with Kovi, as I like to call him, drawing the alleged foul for a trip. Very lucky.

This was also a meeting of the worst powerplay (Devils) v the worst penalty killers. Devils grabbed 2 PP goals!

Oilers 6'6" backup goalie Dubnyk made a stunning glove save in this game to deny Mattias Tedenby a 1st ever NHL goal. He went on to get that goal after Vasyunov managed the same feat earlier in the game. The crawl back to credibility may have started but using Oilers as a guage isn't much use!

We since the last time I was hear the Islanders have slumped to 9 defeats in a row. Streit in defence has been missed as I expected, the worst defeat IMO was a 7-2 loss to the Hurricanes. The last 3-4 games we have played we, created lots of chances but were not able to take them. Roloson coming in for DP has helped as he IMO is a better goaltender. Finally got a point at the Shark tank, which is good but we need to start picking up wins to bring back confidence. All these away games are not helping and another tonight at the Kings is going to be tough. The Isles have only played 5 home games out of 16 this season WTF :blink::o !

Got to love how everyone follows suit with the North American dislike of Crosby and the Penguins. Why? Because they've got a really good team? I'm not a Penguins fan but I've got no problem with them, certainly prefer the Pens to the Flyers in any case.

You've firmly walloped that nail on it's tungsten tipped head.

Stamkos has the best one-timer in hockey today. Stamkos imo will be the NHL top goals and points scorer this season and in the last 2 years nobody has scored more goals than Stamkos and it's goals that matter.

(This has nothing to do with me having Stamkos in my NHL fantasy league team ph34r.gif)

Of course, there's no debate whatsoever that Stamkos is an incredible hockey player, I just think that at this stage its premature to say that he's better than Crosby.

How's your fantasy team doing anyway?

Interesting controversy regarding Colin Campbell (Director of Hockey Operations) and his use of his position to look out for the interests of Gregory Campbell (spot the similarity). Generally being swept under the carpet by the NHL (surprise) and more disappointingly by the media. There is an excellent piece on it though in my favourite Canucks related hockey blog, although it's quite a long read.

Pass it to Bulis

Watched the Habs-Flyers game yesterday too and was good to see us get a shut-out. Carey Price was umbelievable in goals aswell. Looking forward to the Leafs coming to the Bell Centre on the weekend, bring them on!

Edit: NY Rangers vs Boston Bruins looks like it could be a good game, hope the Rangers belt them.

Edited by Bluenose5

I think the dislike is more to do with the fact he is a moany little know it all who has the potential to be one of the games true greats but he's still a boy and shouldn't be a captain. Also Ovi and Stamkos are better players and this season argueably play in better teams, I'd very suprised to see the Pens get passed the first round in the play-offs, sid and malkin have been playing poor and without them two the pens are a mid table side.

Oh dear. Crosby is the best player in the NHL, look at the numbers he puts up with the guys he plays with. Ovechkin regularly plays with at least one of Backstrom and Semin, Stamkos plays with St Louis and Lecavalier. Crosby plays with Kunitz and Dupuis. And he is still 2nd top in points and 3rd in goals. I appreciate he's gone on a bit of a run since you posted this, but it's still nonsense. Crosby is also by far the most rounded of the 3, he can do everything.

The point was "Crosby is unpopular because he is so good" I'm saying just look at the other good players, they are respected and Crosby would be too if he didn't act like a tit.

VI, do you think Luongo has had his day now? Still a top keeper but doesn't look as strong as he did a couple of seasons ago, is it time to give the number 2 some more games as he looks as if he can hold his own.

Act like a tit? In what way does he do that more than any of those other players?

The point was "Crosby is unpopular because he is so good" I'm saying just look at the other good players, they are respected and Crosby would be too if he didn't act like a tit.

VI, do you think Luongo has had his day now? Still a top keeper but doesn't look as strong as he did a couple of seasons ago, is it time to give the number 2 some more games as he looks as if he can hold his own.

You said Stamkos and Ovechkin are better than Crosby, I just don't agree with that. Also throw in that Stamkos plays in the most ridiculously easy division in the NHL.

As for Luongo, he's on a 12 year contract so his time better not be gone. Schneider is a great backup and he will be getting in the region of 20 games during the regular season this year, but Luongo has always thrived on being busy. His best years were arguably at Florida and his early time with the Canucks where the defence in front of him wasn't great and he was facing a lot of shots. I think there are questions over his consistency certainly, but hopefully with 20 games off this season he will be better placed than ever going into the playoffs. I'd only swap him for a 3 or 4 goaltenders in the NHL.