N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Good to see the NHL is back, the Isles took on Dallas for the first game of the season. The Stars won 5-4 with a shootout win, but we were pretty unlucky to lose. Lehtonen played a blinder in goals for the Stars with 43 saves. I was fairly downbeat before the game having seen the Stars beat the Devils the other night looking quite good and with injuries to Okposo and our best defenseman out for 6 months also. Benn and Robidas put the Stars 2-0 in the 1st period and were the better side. Matters were also not helped when our star forward Tavares got nailed from behind by some Dallas thug leaving him with a concussion and ending his game. :angry: Into the 2nd period and the Islanders played fairly well with new boy from the Ducks James Wisniewski bagging a superb goal, Morrow scored a good one also to put Dallas 3-1 ahead. 2 minutes later the old boy Doug Weight scored on the power play to make it 3-2. Into the 3rd period and despite numerous chances to score the game looked over when Morrow scored again to make it 4-2. However the Isles rallied back 2 minutes later when Comeau scored, and a great finish from Moulson on the powerplay tied the game - hopefully he continues where he left off last season. Lehtonen was the difference in the shootout with Riberio sealing the win for the Stars.

Overall, a point was a decent result on the board and good spirit was shown when they could have chucked it in at 4-2 down. A good contibution from Weight with a goal and two assits which he didn't do much last season. A New York derby next on Monday night - can't wait. :D

Just saw about half the Islanders game. Gutsy performance to win it 6-4 v Rangers. Score swung round a couple of times with lots of PP goals and the Isles added two more late on with a 5v3 and 5v4 and then finished it with an empty net goal. Couldn't see it in the 2nd period as Rangers dominated and looked very good.

Devils up next in a few minutes. Only 6 defenders and 9 forwards listed tonight with a suspension, injuries and the cap situation restricting them.

Hope Devils find something on the PP as we can hardly get in over the blue-line never mind shoot. Same as last season. Same struggle on face-offs as well at this early stage. I think Penguins might be looking for a good win after we swept them 6-0 last season. We had 3 wins in 4 versus Caps last season and they put us away when the chances came the other night. Not hopeful.

Great win for the Isles in the New York derby. :lol::D To be honest we should have been dead and buried in the 2nd period as the Rangers dominated and DiPietro made a great save on a Gaborik penalty shot also. Good to see Comeau and Moulson continue with their good form and a good 1st goal for ex-Ranger Parenteau. :D:D

Good start 2 but 2 really tough road games at the Caps and Pens might bring us back down to earth. C'mon you Islelanders!

On another note me and my mate were at the Braehead Clan game on saturday - some good action, decent standard of hockey, some good goals and a nice dust up at the end of the game. The Clan won 6-2 - not a bad first ice hockey game live.

"New York Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski has been suspended for two games and will forfeit $79,268.30 in salary for directing an inappropriate gesture toward New York Rangers forward Sean Avery during Monday's game at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The incident occurred during a stoppage of play in the first period."

I didn't know such a thing existed. :huh::P

Couldnt have done it to a better person. He should be given that amount rather than being fined that amount :lol:

As for the Habs we lost our home opener this morning in OT to Tampa, not great to lose your home opener but at least get a point out of it. Just finished watching the Anaheim vs Vancouver game and the Ducks came back to win 4-3, caused Luongo a fair few problems in goal to win their first match.

"New York Islanders defenseman James Wisniewski has been suspended for two games and will forfeit $79,268.30 in salary for directing an inappropriate gesture toward New York Rangers forward Sean Avery during Monday's game at Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The incident occurred during a stoppage of play in the first period."

He should have just went over and punched the cunt in the face.

Gotta love hockey. Fighting other players and constant body checks are legal, whereas things like delay of the game result in 2 minute penalties :lol: and in this case, a fine and suspension for a gesture :lol:

Leafs go 4-0-0 after an overtime win against NY Rangers last night. Clarke McArthur nets his fifth goal in four games and is the first ever Leaf to score in all of his first four games. Phil Kessel netted twice and Mike Komisarek scored the other.

Once again, Sean Avery acted like the fud he is with two slashes on Komisarek when the referees weren't looking.

Linky Highlights, plus Avery's slashes at 1.08. I read on the Leafs site that Komi got Avery back with a cross check later on, but it wasn't involved in the video.

Gotta love hockey. Fighting other players and constant body checks are legal, whereas things like delay of the game result in 2 minute penalties :lol: and in this case, a fine and suspension for a gesture :lol:

Tolerated, not exactly legal. Especially since fighting can land you a major + game penalty if you're the instigator/agressor.

And hooray. The CONSOL Center finally sees a Pens win. Even if it was an OT victory over the Islanders.

Edited by TheTodd

Another game, another defeat for Devils. Familiar story. Pile up the shots in the 1st and struggle to score, cave in during the 2nd and play out the 3rd. Devils and Clyde are some combination this season. :bairn

Very pleasing past 2 games for the Habs :) Especially against 2 division rivals in Buffalo and then Ottawa last night. The win against the Sens last night was good after being 3-1 down to show that kind of fightback and good to see Plekanec get on the board for us. Sits us in a decend position this early on in the season just a point behind the high flying Leafs so far but long way to go, but its crucial we beat our division rivals along the way however Boston beating the Devils wasnt great though. Good wins also for the Islanders and Flames last night too.

Not a bad week for the Isles, a narrow defeat by the Caps 2-1 away and losing 3-2 in overtime to the Pens away was followed by a good 5-2 win over the Avs at home. Good to see Tavares back playing and scoring as well as Grabner opening his account for the Islanders. Bailey continued his great start to the season with another goal and Roloson made some good saves for his first game of the season. Next up the Leafs who are on fire at the moment.

Marc-Andre Fleury, 0-3-0, 3.41 GAA

Brent Johnson, 4-0-0, 1.49 GAA

Quite an interesting situation for the Penguins here. I'm a big fan of Fleury's but right now I can't see any reason to play him over Johnson. It was a really good win last night against the Sens, and everything just seems to be working better with Johnson.

Narrow defeat for the Leafs against the Islanders, OT loss of 2-1. Referees didn't help us out at all, denied a perfectly legit goal from Kris Versteeg, and from what I read on the Leafs site one of the NY players covered the puck with his hand in the crease to stop us from scoring (which, according to the site should have resulted in a penalty shot). If that's not enough, the penalty that lead to the Islanders winner was very harsh too.

Still, 4-0-0-1 is an excellent start. On a side note, Sean Avery has gotten away with his double slash on Komisarek, because both blows were below the knee and Komi didn't end up injured. It's a f*cking disgrace if you ask me, how Wisniewski gets banned for a gesture towards Avery, yet Avery gets away with a deliberate attempt to injure a player. NHL should be ashamed of themselves for that.

Marc-Andre Fleury, 0-3-0, 3.41 GAA

Brent Johnson, 4-0-0, 1.49 GAA

Quite an interesting situation for the Penguins here. I'm a big fan of Fleury's but right now I can't see any reason to play him over Johnson. It was a really good win last night against the Sens, and everything just seems to be working better with Johnson.

The worry is of course that Bylsma will want to get Fleury playing in order to get his form back, seeing as he is going to be the number one this season. If he rolls with Johnson and leaves Fleury out it's just going to mean it'll take Fleury longer to get back to his best when he ( inevitably ) returns. It is a tricky situation though, because it's hard to ditch a keeper with as good a record as Johnson has the now.

Good win in Toronto on Monday with Tavares coming back to haunt his boyhood heroes in overtime. Roloson played an absolute blinder in the goals with some great saves. We got lucky to be honest but we showed great spirit to dig in and get a result. A bit of a grudge match tonight against the Bolts as my mate supports them.

Atlantic division is upside down! Some going by the Islanders. More so with key players injured. Reminds me of Devils start last season.

Speaking of which a 3-0 win in Montreal. Big improvement in all aspects of their game. Sticking by some youngsters which is good with another getting his first start. Taormina has 2 goals and 2 assists now and he's a defender.

Vancouver should get tossed out the league by the way. It's just not safe to watch them if their players are prone to wading into the crowd for a fight. Shocking. :P Must have been some taunt to get that reaction though. :lol: