N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Anyone following the new hockey season?

As a bay area sports fan, I've followed the San Jose Sharks for the last few seasons.

This year we get a full season from Joe Thornton, last season's MVP who they took for daylight robbery from the Bruins. He and Jonathan Cheechoo will cause no end of trouble on offense. Sadly our defensive line hasn't been improved much, or at all even, since last year. But we'll no doubt make the post season again, as our division isn't terrible strong.

Detroit, Hockeytown is where it will happen, we're comin back for our Stanley Cup

post-28132-6883_thumb.jpg

Detroit, Hockeytown is where it will happen, we're comin back for our Stanley Cup

That shirt alone's enough reason to hate Detroit, bloddy Accies :angry:

Sharks are chokers. Order of most likely to win goes like this

1. Capitals

2. Penguins

3. Blackhawks

4. Canucks

5. Sharks

Cue this coming back to bite me in the arse, but I think whoever wins the East will win it, more likely to be fresh come finals time.

Would love to see Sharks bite you in the arse and win the Stanley cup this year but sadly you are right and they will choke again.

Would love to see Sharks bite you in the arse and win the Stanley cup this year but sadly you are right and they will choke again.

I can only hope that Marleau, Thornton and Heatley hit form at the right time for once. It's quite a good time to go a bit quiet, right about now, because over 82 games you will go cold. Last season they started the playoffs cold and couldn't recover. Hopefully not twice in a row, because they won't have big Joe forever.

Personally, I feel that Detroit have just as good a chance as any other team of winning the Stanley Cup this season. Experience of big game situations is always going to count in their favour, and while they may not have started the season strongly, since the team returned to a recognisable state after injuries they've been fantastic. You only have to look at the fact that they've won 9 of their last 10, and have won the last 6 games in a row. It's way off the mark to suggest that they're "barely making the playoffs".

In fact, the only teams that I would rank with having as good a chance as Detroit of going the distance are San Jose, Chicago, Pittsburgh and possibly Washington.

You just can never rule out Detroit.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Flames didn't make the playoffs, the curse of my support strikes again.

Who can I jinx in the playoffs?

Sabres perhaps as I like Buffalo chicken wings.

OK I'm changing my order slightly to put the Sharks ahead of the Canucks, on account of the fact that they will beat us if we meet them in the playoffs. Detroit will not win the Cup, going through Vancouver, San Jose, Chicago and Washington (their most likely route) is too much for them (and probably too much for any team).

If I was to make a prediction right now, I don't think I would necessarily say Detroit to win the Cup, or even make it to the final. That said, I would be in no way surprised if either were to happen - I genuinely do feel that as an overall team, they're as good as anyone.

The real difficulty I see for the Wings is that, finishing in the bottom 4 of the playoff teams means that they lose home ice advantage, something which has worked in the Wings favour in the last two playoff runs. Obviously most teams benefit from having last change but it seems to work particularly well for Detroit when their top offensive lines which feature the likes of Zetterberg and Datsyuk are also their strongest defensive lines.