N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Three straight defeats for the Islanders, with the last two defeats being rather unlucky 3-2 losses to the Bruins and the Flyers. Blew a 2-0 lead last night in Philly. Our lingering hopes of the playoffs depend on our next 4-5 games. Lose 3 or more and we are goosed. :(:( . A slight positive last night was Tavares breaking his run of 17 games without a goal.

Canucks finish their 14 game road trip with a shootout loss in Phoenix the night after a huge 6-4 win in Colorado after being 3-0 down after 1. Having an 8-5-1 record on the longest road trip in history is pretty impressive, now we've 10 home games and 5 away left and are 5 points clear in the division, although the Avs have a game in hand. Starting to look towards the playoffs already, would prefer to avoid Calgary and the Red Wings in the first round.

The Devils looked like they were let of the leash for a change last night in the 6-3 win v Rangers. Defence still awful, but for once they got bodies in front of the opposition goalie and we get the deflections and rebounds. Much more life about them anyway. Long overdue. They reverted to defending in the 3rd which is not so clever but shut Rangers out. Lundqvist got pulled after the 4th goal. :lol: First time in his career v Devils at our place. He's usually a major obstacle for the Devils.

Couple of great goals by Rangers I have to admit.

Wee snippet from the match report on NHL.com

Six players scored goals. None were by Kovalchuk.

Ten players had points. None were by Kovalchuk.

Twenty-seven shots on goal -- just one by Kovalchuk.

Punt him! :P

Next up? Penguins on Friday night. They've picked up lately so I doubt they'll be the easy 2 points they've been so far! Wonder if Skoula will try anything against his old team? Maybe helping our terrible defence would be a start.

PS. Apparently there were 'one or two' incidents in the stands and on the way out which seems fairly common with our neighbours. Words, beer & punches thrown.

Edited by RWB

GIRFUY Fife Saint. :D:P

5 out of 5 against Pens this season. 8) Couldn't quite get the usual 4 goals this time but the plucky Penguins held us to three. :P

Pens came to mix it tonight and still couldn't find a way to beat us. God knows how with that ropey defence of ours. Lots of shots for Brodeur to deal with (he's picked up again the last two games) but I wasn't that aware of Malkin & Crosby in this fixture yet again. Fair bit of work for Fleury as well at the other end too.

3rd goal was a belter. :lol: Lucky (illegal) stick poked the goalies hand out of the way and the puck flew in instead of a glove save. At least Kovalchuk did something right by shooting. He's a liability with his carefree wheeling about and long risky passes. Not the Devils way!

5 minute major for the Pens guy wasn't the right call but in the same week they discussed new rules about hitting I suppose officials are more aware. Loved Langenbrunner taking the 'fight' into the Penguins bench.

Bottom line is Penguins will go further in the play-offs than Devils. They skate & pass better and have more flair. Just seem to have a major issue with Devils this season. (Caught Pens on back to back games a few times) Still, only 3 goals v Devils in five games! Is that right? [Edit: Yes it is!] Mental.

Edited by RWB

Brilliant comeback win for the Sharks on Thursday. 4-2 down to Nashville going into last period but 6 goals from Sharks including 2 from Pavelski and 40th goal of the season from Marleau see them turn it round to win 8-5. Surely not going to choke post season this year.

Edited by Jute

Bottom line is Penguins will go further in the play-offs than Devils. They skate & pass better and have more flair. Just seem to have a major issue with Devils this season. (Caught Pens on back to back games a few times) Still, only 3 goals v Devils in five games! Is that right? [Edit: Yes it is!] Mental.

Yep, in terms of getting the results the teams have been pretty much even this season so far but, and I know I'm biased, there's just something about the Pens which is superior to NJ.

Hopefully the OT loss to Carolina and then the Devils game was just a wee blip though and we can get things back on track today at Tampa Bay.

Devils revert to current form and crash 4-2 to some team from a crumbling old stadium. Good start, then downhill from end of 1st period. Our generally slow, sloppy defence were easy for the hard working Islanders who pinned us back with their continual checking helped by some stupid penalties. Strange that the defence has actually produced a good amount of points recently. Not a good game for Danis in goal either. No wonder Brodeur plays almost every game.

No chance for Devils in the play-offs if they can't string 3 reasonable periods together. Even then...

Brilliant comeback win for the Sharks on Thursday. 4-2 down to Nashville going into last period but 6 goals from Sharks including 2 from Pavelski and 40th goal of the season from Marleau see them turn it round to win 8-5. Surely not going to choke post season this year.

Mmm. Having watched Devils go 4-0 up at Sharks the other week I'd be wary! Good fightback that night too from Sharks but not enough. Can't be relying on the forwards every game. Couple of other teams in the West with +50 odd goal difference will fancy their chances too.

Devils revert to current form and crash 4-2 to some team from a crumbling old stadium. Good start, then downhill from end of 1st period. Our generally slow, sloppy defence were easy for the hard working Islanders who pinned us back with their continual checking helped by some stupid penalties. Strange that the defence has actually produced a good amount of points recently. Not a good game for Danis in goal either. No wonder Brodeur plays almost every game.

No chance for Devils in the play-offs if they can't string 3 reasonable periods together. Even then...

:lol::lol: After a narrow shootout defeat against the Blues the Islanders managed to beat the mighty Devils.....again. :lol: 1-0 down after 3 minutes, we rallied with Meyer leading a break from the back to end up scoring from close range. Two well taken goals from Sim and Streit midway through the 2nd period put us 3-1 up. A great strike from Kovalchuk brought the Devils back into the game at the start of the 3rd period. Then a shorthanded break up the ice from Comeau played Bergenheim in to score from close range and seal a 4-2 victory. A vital game tonight against the Leafs, win that and we still have a chance at the playoffs.

Mmm. Having watched Devils go 4-0 up at Sharks the other week I'd be wary! Good fightback that night too from Sharks but not enough. Can't be relying on the forwards every game. Couple of other teams in the West with +50 odd goal difference will fancy their chances too.

Hi. I really don't fear any team in the West at the moment, but I do think the depth in the West and the difference in quality between the two conferences is more striking this year than ever before, I think any of the teams could potentially be knocked out in the first round, and I suspect that whoever does come through the West will be battered and bruised and most likely picked off comfortably by the Caps in the finals.

The Isles make it back to back victories with a 4-1 win against the Leafs at the Coliseum. Another shocking start for us with Kulemin leading a break to score for the Leafs after 57 seconds. Jackman equalised 2 minutes later after a close range shot. Great work from Comeau shorthanded set up Park to hit a belter past Giguere to make it 2-1. It was 3-1 near the end of the 2nd period, when good work from Sim and Comeau set up Nielsen for a tap in. The result was sealed at the end of 3rd period when Bailey setup Moulson on the powerplay to score his 25th goal of the season. Good win, 3 road games against the West next starting on Tuesday against the Canucks.

Also I see Brian Campbell is probably out for the remainder of the regular season at least after a nasty hit by Alex Ovechkin. A nasty part of me is slightly happy at this news, but I also hope (but don't exepct) that Ovechkin gets suspended for a couple of games, potentially handing the initiative to Henrik Sedin in the race for the Art Ross.

Edited to include video of Ovechkin hit/push on Campbell:

Edited by Virtual Insanity

Also I see Brian Campbell is probably out for the remainder of the regular season at least after a nasty hit by Alex Ovechkin. A nasty part of me is slightly happy at this news, but I also hope (but don't exepct) that Ovechkin gets suspended for a couple of games, potentially handing the initiative to Henrik Sedin in the race for the Art Ross.

Edited to include video of Ovechkin hit/push on Campbell:

It wasn't really that nasty TBH.

More unfortunate than anything else.