N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

It's good to see the NHL back. What a great result for the Isles last night with a 5-3 win against the Blackhawks. :o:o:D8)

Comeau bagged a hat-trick and Roloson was great in goals with 41 saves. Only 5 points off 8th -it's a longshot but the play-offs are still possible.

Does it not seem totally false to suggest to someone that they just suddenly start supporting a team? If you watch hockey, and no particular team grabs you, then you don't support a team but it hardly means you can't watch hockey. I started watching a few years ago, and I got into Detroit because of their players and their history plus the city of Detroit itself, but it wasn't a conscious decision I made.

I kind of agree, but if someone just goes "right, they're my team" then I suppose that's fair enough.

Following the Penguins came pretty quickly to me after watching a few games, I just like everything from the logo, to the city to the players. Made perfect sense.

With baseball though, I watched on and off for a couple of seasons and never really settled with the one team. I probably had 4 or 5 favourite teams at different points, before finally settling with the Blue Jays, which was cemented when I bought a jersey.

So just go for whichever team you take a liking to, even if it's only because of something like their jerseys. The main thing is that you stick with them whether they're in the cup final or finishing bottom of their division.

I find it difficult to follow a sport if I don't have particular favourites, usually based on tenuous family connections or whatever else is available, so I think if you want to get into hockey that's the best way to do it. Picking the Red Wings though is a bit like deciding you like soccer and adopting Man U. If you want a team with history, try Toronto.

You're missing the point. I didn't say "Hey, I want a team with history", I saw a few Red Wings games, and started supporting them for the reasons I gave earlier. And to be honest, picking Toronto is more like picking Man Utd. You're more likely to see a Leafs jersey in Glasgow or any other city than a Wings jersey.

I was a big Bret Hart fan when i was a kid, so naturally supported the Flames because of that :lol:

Moving over to Quesnel, BC soon enough, to live out my life. Going to be proudly wearing the red, in Canuck central :D

I was a big Bret Hart fan when i was a kid, so naturally supported the Flames because of that :lol:

Moving over to Quesnel, BC soon enough, to live out my life. Going to be proudly wearing the red, in Canuck central :D

They'll probably take pity on you. Not looking too rosy for the Flames at the moment, just wonder if they got rid of Jokinen too soon, I thought he looked like he was coming onto a game again at the Olympics and even if they'd still wanted rid it would probably have upped his trade value marginally. Canucks look like they've benefited from the Olympics with Kesler looking hungrier than ever, Luongo hopefully with increased confidence from his run and Pavol Demitra showing how good he can be, hopefully he carries that form forward in the NHL.

In fact I'd say the Canucks (alongside unfortunately probably the Blackhawks) should benefit more than any other team from the Olympics. Only negative is Ryan Kesler is an UFA come summertime and there is now the potential for him to receive some seriously tempting offer sheets.

Right, I've decided to follow the NHL in the NFL off season and also after that great Olympics, where ice hockey was pushed into my consciousness and I've selected three teams that I like and your recommendations will help me choose whom I support. So, these are the three teams:

Atlanta Thrashers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Phoenix Coyotes

Any help would be appreciated.

Right, I've decided to follow the NHL in the NFL off season and also after that great Olympics, where ice hockey was pushed into my consciousness and I've selected three teams that I like and your recommendations will help me choose whom I support. So, these are the three teams:

Atlanta Thrashers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Phoenix Coyotes

None of them have ever had any real success or have much of a history. The Blue Jackets and Thrashers have each only made the playoffs once, and the Coyotes have never made it past the first round. The Coyotes used to be the Winnipeg Jets and relocated when the NHL expanded into untapped US markets, but I wouldn't bet too much on them still being in Phoenix in 5 years time even though the NHL are saying they won't sell them to anyone who wants to relocate the franchise again.

The Blue Jackets aren't having a good year but out of those teams are probably the one given the most coverage and support in the local area. The Coyotes are having a good year, sitting fourth in the Western conference but they have the lowest average attendance in the league, the Thrashers are also in a playoff spot at the moment but aren't much better than the Coyotes at attracting fans.

Just watch a few games and see, you might find none of these teams really appeal to you and end up rooting for the Carolina Hurricanes or Edmonton Oilers or someone else you never expected, you never know.

Is he a bandy legged tosser as well.

That's one team struck of the "will I support" list

Good. Everybody hates the Flyers :D

Whatever you do, don't pick the Toronto Maple Leafs. They are honking. I had the misfortune to pick them in NHL 2004, got hooked to them, and now check up on their results regularly. They are f*cking gash <_<

Leafs are generally a hated team but they have a massive fanbase, one of the biggest in the league, no matter how sh*te they are on the rink.

I watched the odd game on ESPN and enjoyed the olympic final, but not got a team as such so not that much interest for me. Most of you guys seem quite passionate about the teams you follow, how did you end up with these teams, I've tried to find a reason to support someone but as yet Calgary Flames are the best I can do because they're nearly Claret and Amber (well their website linked to NHL seems to be anyway)

Who should I be supporting, might make me watch more games if I've a team.

I haven't been on here since the Olympics started so my delayed answer is I follow the Devils because of the Clyde colours. (See user name!) That simple for me. I got into the PC game a number of years ago and wanted a team in that. Had no idea who New Jersey Devils were or how they ranked. Could've been Chicago or Ottawa but I'd played as Devils for a bit and my allegiance was set! We had to swap home & away kits 2 or 3 years ago, as all teams had to, so we now play white shirts away from home.

I think I 'bonded' with the Devils with the game and also when I started to listen to NHL radio commentaries online. It was something different and sounded great/confusing. Incredibly in the first season I did this (02/03) Devils went all the way to the final to win the Stanley Cup. Amazing feeling despite my general lack of knowledge and no vivid impression of the games! Of course I now know they're a negative team set up to trap & counter. No skill or ability, just thugs and journeymen. Year after year. :D That's the general attitude Devils get slung at them anyway. Some truth to it but not as bad as they once were. Usually assured of making the play-offs every year. One fail in last 20 years or something.

Having picked up a PS3 over a year ago NHL 09 was high on my (very short) list. Played a lad at work on that a fair bit and he follows NY Rangers for the obvious reason. Was good fun. Bought NHL10 too but not been gaming as much.

Signed myself up for ESPN online this season as last year. Pleased to see their service has gone higher resolution post Olympics and we can also pause/rewind live coverage now. Always good to have the archive to watch the late face-offs at another time.

It's good to see the NHL back. What a great result for the Isles last night with a 5-3 win against the Blackhawks. :o:o:D8)

Comeau bagged a hat-trick and Roloson was great in goals with 41 saves. Only 5 points off 8th -it's a longshot but the play-offs are still possible.

Watched a fair bit of that game with the new fangled online ESPN player.

Good strikes by Comeau, always in the right place. Commentators could hardly stop talking about Roloson maybe going to 'Hawks as they were so bad for goalies just now. Good news for Isles that he stayed by the looks of it. I think 'Hawks picked up a GK elsewhere.

Watched Pens at Rangers too. Fair old battle with Penguins unrelenting, especially in the 3rd period, to come from behind and win 5-4 in OT. 50+ shots to Pens, Rangers had 15 or so and Fluery got hooked. A bit harsh. Noticed that even the bitter, moaning faced Pens commentator got a laugh at everybody's favourite player Sean Avery acting the clown as he was sin-binned for 'fighting' Talbot.

PS. I watched Avatar this week and spent the whole film thinking the main guy looked like someone. I know who it was now!

Noticed that even the bitter, moaning faced Pens commentator got a laugh at everybody's favourite player Sean Avery acting the clown as he was sin-binned for 'fighting' Talbot.

PS. I watched Avatar this week and spent the whole film thinking the main guy looked like someone. I know who it was now!

God I hate that cunt so much.

They'll probably take pity on you. Not looking too rosy for the Flames at the moment, just wonder if they got rid of Jokinen too soon, I thought he looked like he was coming onto a game again at the Olympics and even if they'd still wanted rid it would probably have upped his trade value marginally. Canucks look like they've benefited from the Olympics with Kesler looking hungrier than ever, Luongo hopefully with increased confidence from his run and Pavol Demitra showing how good he can be, hopefully he carries that form forward in the NHL.

I would love to know what the Sutter's are on, must be some seriously good shit. Although today the guys looked good against NJ, but still letting in some easy goals to keep the Devils in it late on.

What happened in the first period against Chicago? let 5 in.

Just purchased a Iginla Team Canada jersey, can't wait for it to arrive.

Edited by a_mac

Atlanta Thrashers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Phoenix Coyotes

Pick the Canadiens.

Devils bad form continues. From a 4-0 lead at Sharks to a 4 goal deficit at Flames. The other way around would be more understandable. Shipping goals to the West as usual. Don't think either keeper will be happy about their displays in the 5-3 game.

So many Devils fans on HFboards thought this would be easy as Flames 'are a mess just now'. Hey ho.

Marty needs to sharpen up. Too many rebounds. Hopes not high that Skoula is going to fix the fragile defence.

Watched Canucks cave in to Chicago as well. Bad memories of Devils doing the same thing not so long ago. Too many penalties for Canucks early on and then a quick goal rush.

Devils bad form continues. From a 4-0 lead at Sharks to a 4 goal deficit at Flames. The other way around would be more understandable. Shipping goals to the West as usual. Don't think either keeper will be happy about their displays in the 5-3 game.

So many Devils fans on HFboards thought this would be easy as Flames 'are a mess just now'. Hey ho.

Marty needs to sharpen up. Too many rebounds. Hopes not high that Skoula is going to fix the fragile defence.

Watched Canucks cave in to Chicago as well. Bad memories of Devils doing the same thing not so long ago. Too many penalties for Canucks early on and then a quick goal rush.

No need for the quotation marks mate, it's true!

BTW Brodeur is terrible ATM.