N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Calgary 1 San Jose 9. Alex Burrows needs 2 tomorrow night to take the lead.

Lol.

Ooh, a close one.

Edited to add; the Sharks are playing well this week. They beat the Kings 5-1 too.

Edited by Jim Pansy

Good to see us bounce back with a 2-1 win at home to Florida. The Panthers took the lead midway through the 2nd but Comeau equalised minutes later. In a tight game Schremp and Moulson scored in the shootout to make it 6 wins in a row at home. :D The result is more impressive considering they gubbed us 7-1 last month. Bring on the Devils(again :lol: )

Wings doing well enough just now, Filppula's been looking good since coming back from injury and although we're still missing a fair few players, guys like Helm and Drew Miller are stepping up and playing far beyond what you'd expect from grinders. Should be able to hold on to the lead in this game, and move ahead of the Kings in the standings as well.

Good to see us bounce back with a 2-1 win at home to Florida. The Panthers took the lead midway through the 2nd but Comeau equalised minutes later. In a tight game Schremp and Moulson scored in the shootout to make it 6 wins in a row at home. :D The result is more impressive considering they gubbed us 7-1 last month. Bring on the Devils(again :lol: )

Just watched the full re-run there (without knowing the score) as I'm now officially fed up watching the Devils live on current form!

Very good win on the back of poor form, a poor record at the Islanders and the home sides winning streak.

A game of three halfs as well! Started well then had some luck with 3 or 4 off Brodeur's posts in the 1st. Only one shot for Devils in the 2nd and then only three for Islanders in the 3rd. The big swing in fortunes partly explained by White (of all people) taking a major penalty and being thrown out the game. That cost us two goals in the 5 min pp in the 2nd. Commentary mentioned he'd only had 4 minor penalties against him all season. Not bad for a top line defender. Can't believe the NHL.com tag on our game -'White ejection provides spark.' Yeah, to Islanders!

2nd period I think I was beginning to feel physically sick watching that it was so bad. Then the possible turning point as Devils got a fortunate late pp goal and maybe just took the wind out of the sails of the then dominant home side.

3rd period Devils really settled down and once again one side dominated in the shots. Good to see Salvador score to make up for his og. Parise notched the empty netter for almost a shock 4-2 win.

The Islanders certainly have every chance of making the play-offs. Like Devils, I wonder if it'll be worth it!

Senators on a good streak now. Devils next game unfortunately.

Toronto lose again, 2-0 to Florida last night with Vokoun making 39 saves for the shutout.

Leafs, after suddenly being in playoff contention, are back to losing most of their games :(

Without a really top class centre, I don't reckon the Leafs have any chance of making the playoffs.

Just watched the full re-run there (without knowing the score) as I'm now officially fed up watching the Devils live on current form!

Very good win on the back of poor form, a poor record at the Islanders and the home sides winning streak.

A game of three halfs as well! Started well then had some luck with 3 or 4 off Brodeur's posts in the 1st. Only one shot for Devils in the 2nd and then only three for Islanders in the 3rd. The big swing in fortunes partly explained by White (of all people) taking a major penalty and being thrown out the game. That cost us two goals in the 5 min pp in the 2nd. Commentary mentioned he'd only had 4 minor penalties against him all season. Not bad for a top line defender. Can't believe the NHL.com tag on our game -'White ejection provides spark.' Yeah, to Islanders!

2nd period I think I was beginning to feel physically sick watching that it was so bad. Then the possible turning point as Devils got a fortunate late pp goal and maybe just took the wind out of the sails of the then dominant home side.

3rd period Devils really settled down and once again one side dominated in the shots. Good to see Salvador score to make up for his og. Parise notched the empty netter for almost a shock 4-2 win.

The Islanders certainly have every chance of making the play-offs. Like Devils, I wonder if it'll be worth it!

Senators on a good streak now. Devils next game unfortunately.

Saw the highlights and thought we were a bit unlucky in the 1st and 2nd period, Devils dominated most of the 3rd. First loss at home this year, could be two in a row with us playing the Captials on Tuesday. We can make the playoffs, but still too early to say. Well done to the Devils RWB.

J.S. Giguere is likely on his way out of Anaheim with the Ducks re-signing Jonas Hiller today for 4 years/$18 million. With Giguere's $6 million cap hit gone, Bobby Ryan will likely re-sign here. It'll be sad to see both Giguere and Selanne depart this off-season. Those two are easily the most popular and best Ducks in the short history of the franchise.

Positively thinking, though, I'll be sitting ice level for the Ducks' thrashing of the Queens next week.

Edit: ^^ If you don't count OT losses, then there are five teams with losing regulation records.

And there it goes...

Giguere to Toronto. Toskala/Blake to Anaheim. A shame because Toronto is one of the few teams I can't bring myself to root for. Ever.

sad.gif

Edited by kyle*

After winning an amazing total of three games in January, the Leafs have made a good few changes.

We've traded Ian White, Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman and Jamal Mayars for Calgary's Dion Phaneuf, Keith Aulie and Fredrik Sjostrom.

We've also traded Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake for Anaheim's JS-Giguere .

Very glad to get Giguere in. An excellent experienced netminder like J.S. will be great for Jonas Gustavsson's development. Also glad to get rid of Toskala, he just wasn't good enough.

Don't know much about the Flames players expect that Phaneuf is a big signing. Stajan, White and Hagman will be losses, while Mayars is useless.

It'll be too late for us to make the playoffs, but at least we are making an effort to try and improve things.

Phaneuf is an absolute beast of a player. Somewhat lacking in technical ability but he hits hard, shoots hard and will certainly add a physical dimension that the Leafs were chronically lacking last night when things started going against them. Although I think he's overrated, I'm quite glad he's out of our division.

The Islanders are up shit creek at the moment - a 5 game losing streak. Apart from last night's 2-0 loss against the Panthers, we have been outplayed in the others. Unless this run changes, our once decent chance at a play-off slot could disappear.