N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Interesting situation last night in the Pens Leafs game, where Gonchar scores a goal which the refs don't see, and then one of the Leafs guys gets hooked on the breakaway (by Gonchar) and the refs award a penalty shot. On review, however, they notice that the puck did in fact cross the line and award the goal to the Penguins, and Gonchar gets to celebrate by spending two minutes in the box since the hooking call still stood, but there was no penalty shot since the rules state that there cannot be two goals on the one stoppage.

I read about that on the Leafs site, very odd indeed. I'd say he shouldn't have got the penalty, because if they noticed he had scored right away he wouldn't have hooked Ponikarovsky.

Leafs going back down again after bringing themselves into the playoff race. Not been easy though, that was our fourth game in five days.

Don't know why I was nervous, Islanders won 5-4 against the Coyotes with another shootout win. Roloson back in goals for us, was very good in the shootout with 3 saves. Pheonix took an early lead from a powerplay but two goals in the last 3 minutes of the 1st period from Comeau and Okposo put the Isles into the lead. We totally dominated the 2nd period and two powerplay goals midway in the period from Streit and Bailey put us 4-1 up, which promted a change in goaltender with Bryzgalov being replaced by Labarbera. The 3rd period saw the Coyotes dominate, with 3 goals being scored (2 powerplay goals) and tying the game. In the shootout it went to the 6th round of shooters and Moulson kept his cool to seal the win, at a difficult venue.

Overall, happy with recent performances but watching the Islanders could give you a heartattck. A few games have gone to shootout when we have been 3 goals up and had the game won. Oh well, bring on the Red Wings :D

I read about that on the Leafs site, very odd indeed. I'd say he shouldn't have got the penalty, because if they noticed he had scored right away he wouldn't have hooked Ponikarovsky.

It was definitely the right call because you can't get away with the infraction at all during play, and technically it was, even though the clock was put back.

Canucks lost 3-2 to the Predators. More interestingly, Alex Burrows has come out after the game and directly accused Stephane Auger, one of the refs, of having a personal vandetta against him and deliberately cheating. Pretty huge allegations, apparently Auger is being investigated by the NHL.

Last night was the Islanders best performance of the season(and of what I've seen as a fan so far) when the Red Wings were on the end of a 6-0 gubbing. :D8):thumsup2

Moulson scored after 71 seconds, and we never looked back. Schremp scored a brace, with his second a total gift from Detriot midway through the 2nd period. Osgood replaced Howard in the Reg Wings goal, but couldn't stop the rout. Striet added another in the 2nd from a powerplay. Okposo and a thunderbolt from Gervais in the 3rd completed an incredible night at the Coliseum. We limited Detriot to only 16 shots at goal, meaning that the Isles recorded only their 2nd shutout (Roloson's 1st in 81 games :o ) Very happy! :D

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Olympic hockey tournament? Given that the Leafs are just terrible (Get Burke and the Americans out!) I have switched my focus to the Olympics. Based on the teams that have been selected it should be a really exciting tournament. Will you guys get olympic hockey games on the TV over there or will you need to use the interweb or go to bars? I imagine the BBC focuses their coverage on British athletes, which would exclude hockey.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Olympic hockey tournament? Given that the Leafs are just terrible (Get Burke and the Americans out!) I have switched my focus to the Olympics. Based on the teams that have been selected it should be a really exciting tournament. Will you guys get olympic hockey games on the TV over there or will you need to use the interweb or go to bars? I imagine the BBC focuses their coverage on British athletes, which would exclude hockey.

Was wondering that myself, the BBC are probably unlikely to show it.

Thanks to Virtual Insanity for the tips. I got hold of NHL 09.

Used to love watching the hockey at the Winter Olympics in the dim and distant past but it was usually an action packed round-up rather than extended highlights. The latter stages had reasonable coverage but there was more chance of seeing a ski-jump event. :( Gave up looking for glimpses of it over the years. Will look for feeds on the net to keep up. Not too bothered about who wins it but just hope the Devils guys stay clear of injury.

Back on the NHL I watched a rousing 0-0 before the shoot-out win at Rangers last night. Play-off hockey with bags of action, tense finish and an amazing 51-45 shot count in favour of Rangers. Fair to say the keepers did well despite offering a few nice rebounds. One narrow angled shot even slid under Marty and took the slightest touch to trickle it onto the post and away. For all the combative hockey it was a pretty clean game with few penalties.

Anyway, Elias was the match winner finally putting a shot passed the glove of Lundqvist at 2:40 am.

Who were the teams that took a dozen or so rounds to win in shoot-outs recently? As bad as me on NHL10!

Edit - "Lot of shots that went wide that just hit me, or my glove, or my knob. But they were pretty wide. But we'll take it. It's good for the save percentage." Marty shows how tough goalies really are. :P

Edited by RWB

Three in a row for the Islanders after a 3-2 win at home to Buffalo with a shootout win. The Isles dominated the 1st and 2nd periods, and had Ryan Miller to thank in the Sabres goal for only being 2-1 ahead. Tavares and Berginhiem scored for us, both ending fairly long goal droughts. Buffalo tied it in the 3rd period with some good attacking hockey. Hunter got the winner in the shootout (finished 4-3), with Rick DiPietro getting his 1st win this season while in goal. Devils and Penguins coming up on Monday and Tuesday night, tough fixtures but if we play like we are at the moment we have a good chacnes of picking up some points. C'mon you Isles!! :D8)

Edited by Brierie Bud

Aw jeez, was looking for a feed on adthe.net for Newcastle v WBA and noticed the Devils game was on early. Hadn't realised this so clicked in and it's 4-0 Islanders half way through the 3rd. Devils are having a Penguins like dip in form just now. Think teams have maybe worked us out. Pace usually opens us up.

The only upside is an earlier night!

Aw jeez, was looking for a feed on adthe.net for Newcastle v WBA and noticed the Devils game was on early. Hadn't realised this so clicked in and it's 4-0 Islanders half way through the 3rd. Devils are having a Penguins like dip in form just now. Think teams have maybe worked us out. Pace usually opens us up.

The only upside is an earlier night!

Don't suppose you know why the game was on earlier RWB? :blink:

Just watched the highlights as the Isles make it 4 in a row with a great 4-0 over the Devils. :D:D8) 2 goals in the first 4 minutes from Moulson and Streit(powerplay goal) sent us on our way as we dominated the game, the 1st and 2nd period in particular. We forced Brodeur into a number of fine saves, was quite surprised he was replaced in the 2rd period The game was won by the end of the 2nd period when Bailey and Moulson's 19th goal of the season put us well ahead. Good to see DiPietro get his first shutout in almost 2 years. Two shutouts in a week after only one all season previously. It's nice to see us continuing our good form (only the Blues are on a four game streak at the moment), keep this up and the play-offs is a real possibility. Hard game tomorrow night away against the Penguins though.

Don't suppose you know why the game was on earlier RWB? :blink:

<snipping all that other bad stuff out>

Originally I didn't but after you asked I did a search. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Game was a sell-out as well apparently.

Devils hadn't failed to score in regulation time until the 0-0 last week with Rangers. Now another blank against an Atlantic team. Sabres could be top of the East soon, they've hung in there.

Not NHL but a shocking hit from the QMJHL here ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoFY0owFXc&feature=player_embedded# ). The guy was the captain of Canada at the recent World Junior championships and has been drafted by the New Jersey Devils. Threw a couple of elbows during the Worlds too, hopefully he gets a lengthy ban for this one as its pretty horrific.

Well it finally happened, the Islanders went down 6-4 to the Penguins last night. Actually managed to see most of this game live. Crosby and Malkin tore us a new one, with the 2 goals and a hat-trick respectively. I thought we actually played pretty well, outshot the Penguins in their own back yard. Too many penalties meant they scored 3 powerplay goals and the last an empty net one. We showed good character coming back to make a game of it at 3-0 down. Defencemen Sutton and Meyer scored but Crosby made it 4-2 at the end of the 2nd period. Once again we came back with Hunter and Park scoring to tie the game, but the penalties at the end just killed us. Special mention to Okposo who had a mare, missed 3 one-on-ones with the goalie including a penalty shot.

Oh well it was good while it lasted. Next up the Panthers on Thursday.