N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Islanders got beasted by the Flyers 6-2 last night :(. We only made a game of it in the 2nd period after going 4-0 down. Tavares pulled 2 goals back to make it 4-2, but the Flyers got the crucial 7th goal of the game to seal the victory. Now bottom of the Atlantic division (only on goal difference and on the same points as the Flyers and Rangers). Got Toronto away tonight, big game for both teams who have been inconsistant over the last 3-4 matches. I'm sure The_Belgian will be an intrested spectator for this one as well as myself. :lol::lol:

On a separate note, what a comeback from the Ducks against the Stars last night, 0-3 down and won 4-3 in overtime.

Edited by Brierie Bud

The_Belgian how are the leafs getting on these days? We still bottom of the league?

I saw a bit of a game a couple of weeks ago and we were winning 3-0 in the 2nd period and i thought amazin but i feel asleep and missed the end.

No, Carolina are starting to fall miles behind now :lol:

I think we are six points clear of the 'Canes, and only 7 points off the playoffs. It's pretty tight from 8th-13th, we are three points behind Florida. We are still pretty inconsistent (just see our last three results), but we are starting to take more of our chances, we do create a lot of shots.

Playing the Islanders tonight. Brierie, c'mon the Leafs :P

Am i right in saying to make the playoffs its the Conference Standing that counts and you need to make the top 8? Then do you have a winner for the Eastern Confrence and the they play the winner from the Western Conference?

Also how many points do you get for a win and on many for OT?

The Islanders slumped to a third straight defeat with a 3-2 loss in Toronto. :( The Maple Leafs dominated the 1st period(probably the 2nd also) and raced into a 2-0 lead. In the 3rd period, the Islanders started to show belief and Tavares made the most of a couple of powerplays and level the match at 2-2, 4 goals in 2 games for the rookie. Toskala made some big stops in the Toronto goal, before White capatilised on a break near the goal to score the winner. It was a hard one to take, but we can't keep giving ourselves mountains to climb. My main concern is that only Tavares and Moulson seemed to find the net on a regular basis. Got the Bruins at home on Saturday, tough game but we managed to beat them 4-1 in Boston a few months ago so it is possible. :unsure:

Am i right in saying to make the playoffs its the Conference Standing that counts and you need to make the top 8? Then do you have a winner for the Eastern Confrence and the they play the winner from the Western Conference?

Also how many points do you get for a win and on many for OT?

Conference standings are important, top eight from each go into the playoffs. Divisions are important as well, the divisional winners are guaranteed a playoff place. Playoffs are best of seven games, and Western Conference playoff winner plays Eastern winner in Stanley Cup final, again best-of-seven.

3-0 this season against Montréal after last night's 3-2 win, currently level on points with the Devils in the division having played three more games.

What do people think of Washington? Coudl this actually be their year?

Funnily enough, Devils are 3-0 versus Caps this season. (3-2, 3-2, 5-2) Caps were 2-0 ahead in two of those games! Ovechkin missed the last two meetings certainly but Devils were missing a few key players, mainly in defence. I wonder if that sequence goes some way to answering the questions.

Not sure how they've done against some of the big contenders or if they've had other injuries to test their squad. Obviously a contender but I feel that there are teams that could live with them over 7 games. Those with a more defensive outlook perhaps.

Edited by RWB

Another blip from the Devils last night. 2-4 v Panthers at home.

This on the back of struggling to see off Carolina 4-2 with a short-handed 4v6 empty netter at the death.

With so many players coming back into the team recently they'll need games to get back up to speed. Still more to come so the pattern will repeat.

Interesting statistic time. The worst team in the West at the moment (Anaheim) is still better than the 9th placed team in the East (Tampa). I hope you Pens and Devils (and even diddy Leafs and Isles) fans realise how lucky you are. It's rather unfortunate that the best players in the league just happen to keep showing up in the Eastern Conference.

Gutted I didn't stay up last night to watch the Leafs. I checked the score at the end of the 1st period, noticed they were 2-0 down to the Caps, then thought we would get humped. In the end, the Leafs won 6-3.

Just seen we are 4 points off the play offs which i am quite delighted at.

Hopefully we can make it because i would love to see them in the play offs.

When i was in Toronto about 8 years ago they were playing in the play offs and the whole city as just going mental for it and i watched most of the games on the tele.

Tried to get tickets but it was impossible, did get one of the jerseys though.

Just seen we are 4 points off the play offs which i am quite delighted at.

Hopefully we can make it because i would love to see them in the play offs.

When i was in Toronto about 8 years ago they were playing in the play offs and the whole city as just going mental for it and i watched most of the games on the tele.

Tried to get tickets but it was impossible, did get one of the jerseys though.

And they're still waiting for the cup....

:lol: :lol:

Just watched the highlights of Saturday night's game against the Bruins, Islanders won 3-2 in OT. Schremp put the Isles 1-0 after a bugger up by the Boston goalie. Boston then came into the game and found themselves 2-1 up in the middle of the 2nd period. Moulson then equalised after a terrific backhand pass by Tavares to tie the game, his 15th goal of the season (equaling Tavares's tally). The Isles gabbed the win 26 seconds into OT when Rosseu sent Nielsen away to finish well. Vital win with a home game against Florida tonight.

Gutted I didn't stay up last night to watch the Leafs. I checked the score at the end of the 1st period, noticed they were 2-0 down to the Caps, then thought we would get humped. In the end, the Leafs won 6-3.

I caught the end of this game after watching the Devils. Stupid by Caps at the end although I doubt they were about to score two. Had to push to get a goal back anyway and then hope for the best. They only pulled the goalie with a minute to go, got down the ice and Capitals' Green got decked away from the puck. He got up and charged into the nearest guy he could find to even things up and off he went. 6v5 advantage down the pan and Leafs scored quickly with the powerplay. Good result against a team that doesn't lose many.

Just watched the highlights of Saturday night's game against the Bruins, Islanders won 3-2 in OT. Schremp put the Isles 1-0 after a bugger up by the Boston goalie. Boston then came into the game and found themselves 2-1 up in the middle of the 2nd period. Moulson then equalised after a terrific backhand pass by Tavares to tie the game, his 15th goal of the season (equaling Tavares's tally). The Isles gabbed the win 26 seconds into OT when Rosseu sent Nielsen away to finish well. Vital win with a home game against Florida tonight.

Islanders might just make the play-offs if they have the staying power. Might be Devils v Islanders play-off but getting ahead of myself.

Devils bounced back from the 4-2 defeat to win comfortably 4-1. A rare win v Flyers. Cheap goal conceded by Brodeur. Should've been the record. Elias picking up some points now and scored a couple of good goals.

Interesting statistic time. The worst team in the West at the moment (Anaheim) is still better than the 9th placed team in the East (Tampa). I hope you Pens and Devils (and even diddy Leafs and Isles) fans realise how lucky you are. It's rather unfortunate that the best players in the league just happen to keep showing up in the Eastern Conference.

Must admit, Devils have hardly played any sides from the West yet. 2-2-1 record. Looking at the vs East/West table on nhl.com doesn't look too good for East. Obviously they've been playing the dross from the East to boost their stats. :D

Edit - This sig is a bit loud!

Edited by RWB