N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

:lol:

I know nothing about Maple Leafs history, but I figured that would get a rise out of you, sorry.

I was going to reply to the 'greatest player in Maple Leafs history' comment asking if you'd signed Tim Horton or something, but I decided to let it go. :P

Crosby seems to be trying to prove a point in these playoffs, that he should've been nominated for the Hart Trophy too. Of course he'd never actually admit that, but it seems like he is to me, and I'd agree with him.

Anyway, I'm not confident about this series now.

:(

Crosby seems to be trying to prove a point in these playoffs, that he should've been nominated for the Hart Trophy too. Of course he'd never actually admit that, but it seems like he is to me, and I'd agree with him.

Anyway, I'm not confident about this series now.

:(

Speaking of Crosby... (concerning the Ovechking hat-trick celebration)

"People kept throwing hats. I was just asking if he could make an announcement to ask them to stop. The first wave came, and then I think they were all pretty much picked up, and more started coming," Crosby said after the game. "I just wanted to make sure that we kept kind of moving, kept the game going while we tried to get back into it. Wasn't complaining about anything."

:rolleyes:

Edited by kyle*

Speaking of Crosby... (concerning the Ovechking hat-trick celebration)

"People kept throwing hats. I was just asking if he could make an announcement to ask them to stop. The first wave came, and then I think they were all pretty much picked up, and more started coming," Crosby said after the game. "I just wanted to make sure that we kept kind of moving, kept the game going while we tried to get back into it. Wasn't complaining about anything."

:rolleyes:

I've already heard this a million times and I still don't see any problem with it. He's not exactly complaining about the hats being thrown onto the ice, he's complaining about how they couldn't get the game re-started.

Ya I feel bad for the way this hat situation has been handled in the media. Especially the American media. This may be a conspiracy but the US media, which is primarily not orientated toward hockey, is constantly trying to downplay Crosby in favour of Ovechkin. They have made him out to be a whinger when all he was doing was trying to get the game going after a lengthy delay to pick up two waves of hat throwing. I always feel that the US is so concerned with their hockey rivalry with Canada that they are willing to elevate Ovechkin as their favourite star player. Thats not to say that Ovechkin isnt a great player, but so is Crosby, and it should be left at that.

The continous references to Ovechkin vs. Crosby over here have become nauseating. This isnt basketball - two players do not hold very much influence over the final outcome of a series. It is a series between the Penguins and Capitals. With all this said, I am tipping Cros to have a blinder tonight, while Ovechkin will be as inconspicuous as he was in some of the Rangers games. I hope my foot is not approaching my mouth as I say this.

I am also officially joining the Ducks bandwagon for the remainder of the playoffs. They seem to be the toughest team out there right now. If they get by Detroit I dont think any other team will be able to match them - including Boston, who I will continue to under rate.

Ya I feel bad for the way this hat situation has been handled in the media. Especially the American media. This may be a conspiracy but the US media, which is primarily not orientated toward hockey, is constantly trying to downplay Crosby in favour of Ovechkin. They have made him out to be a whinger when all he was doing was trying to get the game going after a lengthy delay to pick up two waves of hat throwing. I always feel that the US is so concerned with their hockey rivalry with Canada that they are willing to elevate Ovechkin as their favourite star player. Thats not to say that Ovechkin isnt a great player, but so is Crosby, and it should be left at that.

The continous references to Ovechkin vs. Crosby over here have become nauseating. This isnt basketball - two players do not hold very much influence over the final outcome of a series. It is a series between the Penguins and Capitals. With all this said, I am tipping Cros to have a blinder tonight, while Ovechkin will be as inconspicuous as he was in some of the Rangers games. I hope my foot is not approaching my mouth as I say this.

I am also officially joining the Ducks bandwagon for the remainder of the playoffs. They seem to be the toughest team out there right now. If they get by Detroit I dont think any other team will be able to match them - including Boston, who I will continue to under rate.

I don't think it's really the rivalry with Canada at all, I think it comes down to the recent explosion of Penguin fans and the NHL desperately trying to make Crosby the face of the league. The Crosby/Ovechkin thing is indeed nauseating, and I don't buy into it at all, but it probably works on some. Crosby really digs his own grave sometimes, though. In this situation, he should have just kept it shut. He's not going to change anything by talking to the refs, a concept that has eluded him for his entire NHL career.

Note that I'm not saying anything about the wave of hats. It probably was stupid of Caps fans for the hats to come in waves, but oh well. 39 other skaters weren't complaining about it. But, you're not going to convince anyone in Pittsburgh that Crosby is... Well, you know.

To Zanetti: It's more of the fact that it's Crosby doing it, who is a repeat offender of whining to the refs. It's not like when a captain talks to a ref, he just handles himself differently. And I don't want to sound like an internet tough guy, but if this were the old NHL, he would have been ripped apart by now.

Edited by kyle*

Who's everyone's pick for the playoffs?

Right now I'm going for Carolina but they rely too much on goaltending which could be a problem for them.

Predicted on the 7th of April...

Anyway, :D.

I think the back to back games could have a positive effect on us, hopefully some momentum will be carried over to the Verizon Centre tonight.

Really looking forward to game 5.

Seems like there will be no punishment for Ovechkin following the incident in game 4 which injured Gonchar.

Imagine how many conspiracy theories we'd be hearing had it been Crosby getting away with it?

Do any of you play any hockey? I'm in Canada at the moment so I took it up, just messing around on the pond with some friends, but when I get back to the UK it would be good to keep it up, I wonder if any of the teams in the UK have pick up games at their rinks.. wouldn't mind playing a bit of puck now and then.