N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Oh well, the 'Canes turned up for game 2. Decent performance but no killer touch this time.

Turned off the PC at end of 3rd and listened to OT on WFAN channel on internet radio. One way traffic towards Brodeur before 'Canes finished the job in under 3 minutes. Very even game but powerplay is still bad. 1 goal from 6 I think. Langenbrunner injured in 2nd period and didn't come back. That messed things up and no word on when/if he'll be back! Not good.

Also watched Pens/Flyers in between and that looked good again. High tempo and plenty going on.

Malkin over Crosby?

Have you actually seen them play? Malkin floats around like a fairy for the game and will finish his chance when he gets it. He would not have many of those chances without Crosby doing all the work. I didnt use to rate Crosby that highly but he is quite a special player now that I have seen him for a few seasons.

Some might make the argument for Ovechkin, but I will never openly admit that a russian is better than a Canadian. I would actually say that Lidstrom is probably the best player in the league, but I also have a bias towards defencemen.

Yes I have, thanks very much for the assumption. Unfortunately I was present for a 3:0 beating of my team when I was in Pittsburgh. But that statement wasn't about talent, it was about the fact that I hate Crosby and his attitude.

I prefer Ovechkin over both of them because Ovechkin shows passion for the game, turns up his physical game doesn't whine when he takes shots, and doesn't dive like an Italian.

Anyway, that Blackhawks/Flames finish was quite controversial. I don't think it should have been a goal. Kiprusoff was almost pushed over, but any interference on a goaltender should result in a penalty. If he can't make the save because of a player physically interfering with him, I don't see why that should be a goal. I've seen plenty of goals like that called back and I don't know why in playoff hockey that one went through.

I think I might actually give up watching the Flames TBH. :angry:
I should just become a glory hunter, cause this is torture. :(
I hate the play-offs :angry:<_<:(

Exhibit A: The decline of Mr. Brightside's sanity. :lol:

Also,

sushitime181.jpg

Edited by kyle*

This is getting tough. Not the hockey. Staying up to watch it with work the next day! 3.37am when the Devils scored the OT winner to go 2-1 up in the series. Need to stop this. Hopefully they can get a couple of wins without the OT now.

Can't really see either side going much further though. Devils powerplay is awful and 'Canes take too many penalties! A better side will demolish them if they get through.

0420zajac.jpg

Anyone else using ESPN360? Since Saturday they've not listed the current days' matches for viewing, only the following days. Naturally when those dates clock round they disappear as well. Back to http://www.myp2pforum.eu/ for links despite having paid for ESPN360. :angry:

Burke is convinced that Tavares will be in blue and white next fall. Dont know how he will work that out, but here's hoping.

Here is the first attempt at a rumour in this respect, give up Schenn and Kaberle as well as their first to Tampa for Hedman, then trade up from there. Personally I think the names you'd need to add to Hedman to make the Isles give up Tavares would be a huge price to pay, as much as anything Tavares (being both an offensive player and Canadian) brings a lot more off the ice. Having given up Schenn and Kaberle and a first to Tampa Bay already (this might be overpaying for Hedman but I know less about him) I can't see what the Leafs could offer the Isles without completely decimating their team, they would be relying on Tavares alone attracting a lot of UFAs in the summer (I shudder to think of the Sedin's lining up in Toronto, but you can have Mats back if you like :P).

Anyone else using ESPN360? Since Saturday they've not listed the current days' matches for viewing, only the following days. Naturally when those dates clock round they disappear as well. Back to http://www.myp2pforum.eu/ for links despite having paid for ESPN360. :angry:

I've been watching all the Canucks games on ESPN360 fine, not sure why that would be the case for you. My only minor gripe is that they seem to have stopped offering archived games but I don't have time for that at the moment anyway so it's not particularly a problem.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for the Canucks, and we can only hope that the Ducks continue to do us a massive favour against San Jose, having a passage to the Conference finals free of both the Sharks and the Red Wings is the stuff dreams are made of.

Edited by Virtual Insanity

I've been watching all the Canucks games on ESPN360 fine, not sure why that would be the case for you. My only minor gripe is that they seem to have stopped offering archived games but I don't have time for that at the moment anyway so it's not particularly a problem.

Cheers VI. Maybe they've noticed that two of us are using the same login but from different IP addresses. :unsure:

[Edit-Back to normal now. Caps are repairing some damage tonight in NY. 3-0 after 2. Avery is causing damage again. 3 penalties so far.]

Edited by RWB

I watched the Capitals against the Rangers last night. First game I've actually watched in it's entirity, mostly because it was Washington who's teams I usually follow.

Quite enjoyed it tbh, especially the physical nature of the NHL.

Just a few observations that might not be quite right:

1) Backstrom (sp?) looks some player.

2) Avery is a hot head.

I watched the Capitals against the Rangers last night. First game I've actually watched in it's entirity, mostly because it was Washington who's teams I usually follow.

Quite enjoyed it tbh, especially the physical nature of the NHL.

Just a few observations that might not be quite right:

1) Backstrom (sp?) looks some player.

2) Avery is a hot head.

Wrong, Sean Avery is a c**t.

Win in 4. Easy. Alex Burrows is a God. From undrafted to 28 goal seasons to lighting up the playoffs, and he only took $2million for the next four years.

Also, the NHL is running a poll for best goaltender of the playoffs so far, without Roberto Luongo. :lol:

If I had any of those epic fail pictures, I would post one here.

I feel a bit sorry for St Louis, I genuinely thought they were going to make a series of that but obviously Vancouver were too good for them.

Anyway, we got a 3-1 win last night in Philly and Fleury was sensational, he really deserved a shutout but the win is of course the most important thing. Taking it back to Pittsburgh tomorrow night to finish them off, hopefully. B)