N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I watched the Vancouver - St. Louis game too, and the whole game was all about goaltending, Mason and Luongo both had great games. The reason there were so many penalties is because the refs were basically calling everything, but they seemed fairly consistant so there can't really be any complaints. I can see it being a very tight series between two good teams.

I couldn't watch any other games last night. All I can think about is the Ducks game. :lol:

I think I'll watch that later.

The Bruins - Canadiens game is on TV right now but I've been out, looks quite tight though so I'll watch the third period tehre too.

How good are these guys? There are a number of players in the British league who've played in the AHL or CHL, it's probably about the same standard as SPHL or AAHA over there. I'm certain there was a guy drafted from the Scottish leagues to the NHL a few years ago, albeit a very low pick. I think he was from the Paisley Pirates.

Im from a town about an hour and a bit north of Toronto. The guys I was referencing mostly played Jr. A and OHL. A few years ago we were all quite good, but university has seen most of us convert to the school beer league. Still quite competitive, but most guys have lost a step or two from being relatively inactive. Im more just curious as to whether I would be able to play any hockey if I came to live in Scotland for a year or two. Not really interested in playing in a really competitive league, but I also dont know what the options are. That is why I was curious about the Scottish league, as I imagine there might be a few levels within it. Not sure how it works.

Isles are getting Tavares, or Hedman, but I reckon they'd be crazy to go with the latter, Tavares will be the best player in the NHL within 5 years.

Burke is convinced that Tavares will be in blue and white next fall. Dont know how he will work that out, but here's hoping. I dont think he will be the best player though. He doesnt seem to have that extra edge that Crosby does. Crosby is alot more of a complete player, and alot stronger. I dont think Tavares has that end to end ability that Crosby does. Hedman is soft and I cant see him going first. He got pushed around in the u20 world championship by the Canadian forwards. If he cant handle a group of good-mediocre 19yr olds then I cant see him handling anybody in the NHL. If we dont get Tavares I would hope we could get Brayden Schenn, and have a bit of a Schenn connection out there. Like the Sedins but better I would imagine.

Mtl and Bos was an exciting game. Should be a rough series. I want Lucic to lay out Laraque at some point. Laraque tries to big talk himself all week about how tough he will be and about Lucic not being tough enough. Does he not realize that he cannot play hockey at all, whereas Lucic actually has some skill?

Sidney Crosby isn't even the best player in the NHL at the moment. ;)

Sidney Crosby is a little bitch.

(I have to say it on each page of this thread.)

Also, tonight was pretty awesome.

I'm so glad Hiller showed up the media. He is much older than most people think and has played big games in Switzerland and in international tournaments. He's super quick in the crease and that saved the Ducks tonight. Keep it rolling!

Sidney Crosby is a little bitch.

(I have to say it on each page of this thread.)

Also, tonight was pretty awesome.

Sidney Crosby is a God amongst men who I genuinely believe saved the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Anyway, I was genuinely shocked at the result last night with Anaheim. Maybe I shouldn't have been, I was expecting the Sharks to choke anyway.

Sidney Crosby is a God amongst men who I genuinely believe saved the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Anyway, I was genuinely shocked at the result last night with Anaheim. Maybe I shouldn't have been, I was expecting the Sharks to choke anyway.

I'd take Malkin over Crosby. But it's a tired argument across the entire hockey spectrum.

Honestly, I expected the Ducks to win last night. They really did dominate the past two meetings and are on fire right now. Hopefully they keep it up and take it to the Sharks again on Sunday.

Malkin over Crosby?

Have you actually seen them play? Malkin floats around like a fairy for the game and will finish his chance when he gets it. He would not have many of those chances without Crosby doing all the work. I didnt use to rate Crosby that highly but he is quite a special player now that I have seen him for a few seasons.

Some might make the argument for Ovechkin, but I will never openly admit that a russian is better than a Canadian. I would actually say that Lidstrom is probably the best player in the league, but I also have a bias towards defencemen.

It was a fluke :P

Seriously though, both goaltenders were really good tonight. Biron was a huge improvement on Wednesday's game, and Fleury was excellent too. They both had between 40-50 shots on them tonight each which is really something.

Seriously though, both goaltenders were really good tonight. Biron was a huge improvement on Wednesday's game, and Fleury was excellent too. They both had between 40-50 shots on them tonight each which is really something.

Yeah, I must say they were rather good. Particularly MAF but.