N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

McNab has been a commentator on the TV coverage since the team moved to Colorado in 1995. He had cancer last year and had chemo that got rid of it last summer. I don't think I've ever seen someone look as proud of other people as he does in this clip.

How Nathan MacKinnon molded the Colorado Avalanche into Stanley Cup champions (espn.com)

CANONICALLY, THE GREATEST example of MacKinnon's abrasive intensity was provided by former Avalanche defenseman Nikita Zadorov last summer. He did a Russian-language interview in which he shared some of MacKinnon's dietary standards, which he said were pushed on his teammates.

"Two years ago in Colorado, he got rid of all the pop, ice cream and desserts," Zadorov said. "He got rid of them from the dressing room and pregame meals. He even got rid of the white sauce for pasta. He replaced the actual pasta itself with chickpea pasta. He says, 'Guys, if you want to eat crap, you have the offseason for that. When you come here, there will be none of that because we're winning the Cup.'"

He then compared MacKinnon's behind-the-scenes intensity to that of Michael Jordan. Seeing it pop up on social media, MacKinnon reached out.

"I read the first paragraph of it on Instagram and I'm like, 'I can't read this.' Like, he compared me to MJ. I'm like, "Dude, you're such a donkey,'" MacKinnon said. "I texted him. I'm like, 'Bro, can you stop talking about me in Russia?'"

MacKinnon didn't deny that he eats healthy and encourages teammates to do the same.

"Maybe if I saw 'Z' eating a big chocolate bar I'd give him crap," he said. "But I'm not a psycho eater or anything. I like to eat what everyone else does too."

Makar said that, for the record, MacKinnon would not yell at him if he saw him eating a cupcake.

"I feel like all of that stuff was taken way out of proportion," he said. "He can have some cheat meals, and he's not crazy like that. But during the season, he's obviously very dialed in, which you should be."

Cole is gluten-free, dairy-free and watches his own diet, so he was never on MacKinnon's culinary hit list while playing for the Avalanche. But he said the pressure from MacKinnon on his teammates to eat right was real.

"There were guys on our team where he did not pull any punches. He's like, 'You are fat. Stop eating s---,'" Cole said. "In his defense, he's not wrong. He's just so blunt and honest and doesn't pull any punches. He's like, 'I'm not gonna give a s---. It's true.' And it is 99% of the time."

Get MacKinnon into Scottish football plz

• 2 weeks later...

Chicago trading the future in DeBrincat and Dach for the... "future". God this team is just the worst these days. Can only presume they are tanking for Bedard, and I can't see Kane wanting to stick around for the forthcoming miserable season just for that. Toews either probably.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2022 at 16:46, Miguel Sanchez said:

McNab has been a commentator on the TV coverage since the team moved to Colorado in 1995. He had cancer last year and had chemo that got rid of it last summer. I don't think I've ever seen someone look as proud of other people as he does in this clip.

Pete died at the weekend. He had been the colour commentator since the Nordiques moved to Colorado in 1995. He was back TV this season and had been as recently as two weeks ago (we were playing in Finland last weekend and have had a weird schedule to start the season). It's going to be weird watching games without him.

Here's a clip from his playing days wearing #8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pet peeve for me from Bruins tonight

You're up by one with <1min to go and your opponent has pulled the goalie

Why the f**k do you then try to set up a player for his second goal of the night?

Up by two goals or maybe even one player on for the hat-trick, no problem with that imo, but when it's tightly poised then you're asking for trouble

Marchand got lucky tonight, he should have put the puck in the back of the net or taken it to the boards, instead he holds onto it to attempt to setup Bergeron, ends up turning it over and luckily Nylander can't put it in the back of the net with 0.02 to go and force OT

• 3 weeks later...