N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

No surprise of course, but Tampa were by far the better team on the night, Carey Price the only reason the score was so close. Real proud of the Canadiens for this cup run, earned their place in the final, but this (far, far over the cap) Lightning team is practically unstoppable right now. Amalie Arena is the only NHL arena I've been in, and TB the only NHL team I've seen play at home, so I have an affinity for them too, so the disappointment is lessened somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...

Aiming for the Western Canada trifecta for watching the Bruins this year, with Vancouver being the only one that might pose an issue for me to get to

Seen them at the Saddletoilet three times already.

Borders open for vaxxed Americans to come in as of the end of the month, so something akin to a regular season should be achievable

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/10/2021 at 17:04, sergie's no1 fan said:

The break between the Stanley Cup and the new season is an absolute killer. 

Maybe a daft question, I'm an NHL novice but why do they have such a gap between the two, yet cram so many games in per week all over the country?

Most teams having multi-purpose arenas that are used for other sports/events, plus it being a winter sport which would have struggled historically to have playable ice during July-September. Even these days ice conditions can be a struggle in the later rounds of the playoffs.

On 08/10/2021 at 17:04, sergie's no1 fan said:

The break between the Stanley Cup and the new season is an absolute killer. 

Maybe a daft question, I'm an NHL novice but why do they have such a gap between the two, yet cram so many games in per week all over the country?

It is a tough schedule and above arenas have various event so suits to have setup for hockey for a few games before reconfiguring.  Season runs at same time as NBA so imagine some coordination between the 2 where an arena has team in both. The road trips are designed to try and keep travel down so group far away games together.  The players I think like having the lengthy off season break, lets their bodies properly rest and recover. The league in last couple years have put in mini breaks for team staggered so the whole league doesn't shut down. Most players play far from their 'home' cities or countries so couple days off isn't really enough to go home so longer offseason suits better. NHLPA will have a say from players if anything were to change. 

In UK elite league 90% of games around weekend so most games are back  to back occasionally even 3 days fri-sun. Dundee for example might play away in Cardiff on a Saturday night and bus back up to Dundee and need to play 5pm on the Sunday. They do then probably have 5 or 6 days before next game . NHL teams more likely to play 4 games in a week but bit less likely to play in consecutive nights unless on the road. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

At least one of them's gone!

Good. The team is rotten from the inside and needs a fresh start, the whole cover-up scandal has been devastating to read, and it's not nearly done yet. Don't think I'll fully be rooting for the team again until this is all dealt with.

12 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Good. The team is rotten from the inside and needs a fresh start, the whole cover-up scandal has been devastating to read, and it's not nearly done yet. Don't think I'll fully be rooting for the team again until this is all dealt with.

I imagine you wouldn't want to watch this after your evening at Dens but the player in question has done an interview with TSN and it's absolutely as bad as you think: 'It was no longer my word against everybody else's...' - Video - TSN

On 27/10/2021 at 23:51, Miguel Sanchez said:

I imagine you wouldn't want to watch this after your evening at Dens but the player in question has done an interview with TSN and it's absolutely as bad as you think: 'It was no longer my word against everybody else's...' - Video - TSN

Just watched it. Absolute respect to Kyle Beach for him to be able to talk so openly about such a horrible incident and the effects on his life ever since. Pretty depressing day all put together tbh.

With this news break, I fear there will be more than one instance of NHL clubs neglecting serious crimes like these.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

On 27/10/2021 at 11:34, RossBFaeDundee said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Toews and Kane now. The tide is turning very quickly for them, especially Toews given his support of Bowman.

Firing GMs and coaches is one thing, but firing your captain and an alternate, who still happen to be top players quite another.

If they are complicit will they be punted by the league? Even if not their trade value is surely zero as no one will take them after this.