N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

USA beat Canada 2-0 in the final of the World Juniors Tournament, the England football team levels of ignorance and arrogance from the Canadian media and fans around this tournament makes me LOL whenever Canada don't win this tournament! 

On 06/01/2021 at 06:17, Torpar said:

USA beat Canada 2-0 in the final of the World Juniors Tournament, the England football team levels of ignorance and arrogance from the Canadian media and fans around this tournament makes me LOL whenever Canada don't win this tournament! 

Honestly the way TSN go on about the WJ you'd think it was some sort of huge marquee event....its utter shite 99% of the time because most of the good unders are already contracted to the NHL and ineligible

I'm looking forward to the new season and honestly couldn't care less about the Canadian Division :lol: halfed in with my mate for an NHL Live Subscription so I'll have Bruins games aplenty!

11 hours ago, mugen_power said:

I'm looking forward to the new season and honestly couldn't care less about the Canadian Division :lol: halfed in with my mate for an NHL Live Subscription so I'll have Bruins games aplenty!

Eastwood.jpg

Support your local team! Flames are actually a decent watch in recent seasons, Tkachuk is a wee p***k but watching him live inside the heads of Zack Kassian and Drew Doughty is a good watch, if Oilers v Flames is the late game on Saturday nights then I usually look forward to that more than the Leafs game.

Edited by Torpar

2 hours ago, Torpar said:

Eastwood.jpg

Support your local team! Flames are actually a decent watch in recent seasons, Tkachuk is a wee p***k but watching him live inside the heads of Zack Kassian and Drew Doughty is a good watch, if Oilers v Flames is the late game on Saturday nights then I usually look forward to that more than the Leafs game.

I was a Bruins fan long before I moved to Calgary, the team in Ayr was the Ayr Bruins for the longest time so naturally I latched on to the Boston Bruins as well :P

All my friends here are Flames fans, so I do go to the games quite often, they can be decent but more often than not they're an extremely frustrating team to watch just down to the way Treliving does business with the players and coaches he signs up...they all want to play this fancy brand of skillful hockey determined to walk the puck into the net rather than just slap boomers from all areas at every opportunity

24 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

I was a Bruins fan long before I moved to Calgary, the team in Ayr was the Ayr Bruins for the longest time so naturally I latched on to the Boston Bruins as well :P

All my friends here are Flames fans, so I do go to the games quite often, they can be decent but more often than not they're an extremely frustrating team to watch just down to the way Treliving does business with the players and coaches he signs up...they all want to play this fancy brand of skillful hockey determined to walk the puck into the net rather than just slap boomers from all areas at every opportunity

Did you play in Ayr? Limekiln Road has to be one of the worst rinks to play hockey on in the UK, and the training rink there, oft I thought people were joking about it until I seen it, like a squash court with ice. 

I did a couple of times on that training rink....it's a fecking disaster :lol:

They have too big of a curling contingent to worry about how good it is for hockey...my fave thing is definitely that it has no glass around the boards, just netting :lol:

Curling unfortunately does seem to take precedence, it was weird playing at Hamilton and seeing yourself in the giant mirrors they have on the roof and Kirkcaldy only recently had glass put in, I remember a friend telling me the curlings didn't want glass at Kirkcaldy because they needed somewhere to put their ashtrays and drinks! Murrayfield and Dumfries have the right idea giving them their own rinks. 

I played with Murrayfield juniors in the Scottish Cup at Ayr once, one of our players got a Match penalty and the Ayr parents were spitting on him on his way to the changing room. In later years I played reccy hockey against Ayr Lions (good team, w**k guys) and Ayr Jets (reasonable team, good guys) Played the Jets once when they had Bernie McCrone in goals who I think either had or was just recovering from the flu, we put 16 past him, they also had John Kidd playing for them, slow as f**k but still had great hands!

Dallas Stars first 2 matches postponed due to Covid. Columbus have 19 players miss practice out of the 40 in their camp.  Teams need to play 56 game season in 12 weeks so not much built in if things get bad or a team gets effected by needing to isolating a couple separate occasions or even fall behind games if opponents do so. Knowing America though elite atheletes and those that can afford it will probably get priority with the vaccine. 

On 14/01/2021 at 17:02, Torpar said:

Leafs far from impressive last night but still beat the Habs, Scarborough's own Wayne Simmonds made himself my new favourite Leaf after giving Chiarot a beating! 

He really didnt. Chiarot fell over shortly into the fight. Both players should have got the cross checking penalties too - it shouldn't have been a Leafs PP.

Toronto's D was piss poor and Anderson isnt a big time goaltender. 5 hole wider than an OHL puck bunny. Montreal are fast and move the puck well but lack a serious goal threat. That they managed to get 4 goals in the opening game doesnt really reflect well on the Leafs. Montreal are not a high offence side. We're not talking McDavid, Draisatl or Pettersen here.

Looking forward to seeing how Tim Stutzle does for the Sens. Also recording the Avs v Blues game to watch tomorrow. I have a soft spot for Colorado going back to the 90s when I started watching Sakic and Forsberg on Channel 5. Stutzle is a former Adler Mannheim player and I bought a Stutzle Mannheim jersey on my last trip over to support the Eagles.

On 15/01/2021 at 20:04, BallochSonsFan said:

utzle does for the Sens. Also recording the Avs v Blues game to watch tomorrow. I have a soft spot for Colorado going back to the 90s when I started watching Sakic and Forsberg on Channel 5. Stutzle is a former Adler Mannheim player and I bought a Stutzle Mannheim jersey on my last trip over to support the Eagles.

Hope you enjoyed the Burgundy Juggernaut putting on a show.

On 15/01/2021 at 10:40, mugen_power said:

Feckin Bruins at it again....dominant possession, dominant zone time but yet still no secondary scoring so giving up weak goals leads to chasing the momentum

copy and paste ad infinitum 

14 hours ago, mugen_power said:

My team groupchat seems to have the Habs as champs for the Canadian division...anyone been watching them?

They've got an inevitable mid-season collapse to come surely?

I have.

Scored a lot of goals. Unusual for a Monteal team that lacks a recognised top class sniper. A few players are really stepping up - Toffoli and Anderson look like very good signings. Suzuki is playing well. Tatar has got off to a great start. Contrast that with the likes of Gallagher and Drouin. I've never liked Gallagher as a player. He can be effective as a rink rat type of guy who will agitate and put up points but I don't see him as a big game goal scorer. Drouin is just an absolute bust as a 3rd overall pick. I know that the Habs didn't pick him, but he's picking up $5 million a season for almost no genuine offensive threat. The guy is a waste of a jersey when you look at what $5 mil could get you elsewhere. Big problem is that nobody will want to take on his cap hit at that price so trading him isnt going to be easy. 

Look decent at the back too, but its probably going to come down to keeping everybody healthy. Petry and Weber are great but Weber is in the latter stages of his career. 35 year olds take longer to heal. I think signing Allen gives Montreal a really great 1-2 in goals but it'll again come down to fitness. If Price was to pick up an injury then is Allen a big game goaltender over a stretch of games?

Certainly a very well balanced team right now. They've found the goalscoring that was perhaps missing last year and was potentially missing on paper. If Tatar and Toffoli can keep up their great start to the season then they could get you 30+ goals. Anderson is coming off the back of a poor season last year, but the move to the Habs looks to be suiting him well. 

NHL decide that the Myers hit on Armia late in the Vancouver v Montreal game on Thursday will not attract any suspension.

NHL's DOPS released a video explaining their decision. Deemed the principle point of contact was not the head and that it was therefore a clean check.

I don't like the decision or the explanation. Although Myers doesnt make his initial contact with the head, there should be a responsibility on the checking player to make sure that the check is going to be as safe as possible. If the checking player's follow through is going to take the force of the check through the opponent's head/neck area then at best it's an inherently reckless play. There's no regard from Myers as to the safety of the check. Whilst Armia's concussion shouldn't necessarily be a factor in the way that the league looks at hits like that one, I think that reckless plays need to be properly dealt with. Lots of clean checks have unintended consequences - I think the determining factor should be whether or not when looked at as a whole, was the check likely to pose an increased risk the opponent being hit?

Regardless of the principle point of contact, if the whole play is likely to be reckless then for me it's a bad check.