N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Just had a look on CapFriendly, wish I hadn't! 

Looking at all they 2nd and 3rd picks and all they young kids we have waiting to hit the AHL next season, the 2 Russians who look to be a masterstroke of a pick, the fact we have about 30mil free cap space for when renewals and the big push comes... It's was fkn set up perfectly! And now it's all some other c***s' team

Edited by Spyro

On 14/04/2024 at 18:00, Miguel Sanchez said:

The all caps and the cursor still being visible gives very strong Business Secrets of the Pharaohs vibes

Encapsulates everything that has been going on inside and around the club. Calling it a shambles is too kind, I can only think it is all deliberate and part of a bigger plan because they can't seriously be this incompetent. 

The whole thing reminds me of Trainspotting and Spud going for his job interview to keep the dole off his arse... 

Edited by Spyro

I said at the end of last year after watching the best regular seasons of MacKinnon and Rantanen's careers that even though for some time it was clear we weren't going to manage anything in the playoffs it was still amazing to see the level of play those two managed.

Well, this year, we're still not doing anything in the playoffs, but MacKinnon broke the franchise points record set by Peter Stastny in the 80s when they used wooden sticks goalies were glorified beer leaguers and players still chain smoked on the bench. It's been an experience.

On 21/04/2024 at 21:34, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Matt scores. Only one penalty against him so far as well.

It's funny, I posted something on some American based forum months ago about Rempe actually being a good player and all the noise around him isn't helping his development. Trying to point out the good side of his game

I got completely ripped apart from all corners with the usual "there's no space for him in modern hockey", "he's only out to hurt people" and questioning what I know about hockey... 

Now they are all slavering over him and talking about his "attacking upside" and basically everything I said when I first saw the guy play and saw what he was doing in the lower leagues.

Safe to say ill not be sharing my opinion there again

It was funny the other night when one of the Washington players tried to start a fight with him and he just laughed in the guy's face. It's pretty obvious, as well as being a good player, even having having him on the ice is affecting the opposition team's psyche now.

Don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying the ride at the moment. He'll probably end up pro wresting at some point though.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

It was funny the other night when one of the Washington players tried to start a fight with him and he just laughed in the guy's face. It's pretty obvious, as well as being a good player, even having having him on the ice is affecting the opposition team's psyche now.

Don't know how long it will last, but I'm enjoying the ride at the moment. He'll probably end up pro wresting at some point though.

He's not even a good fighter. Apparently one of the guys who asked for a fight gave him a seeing to in the AHL so Rempe said nah. 

The staged fights are stupid though, totally takes away the reasoning for having fights in the sport in the first place. 

If Rempe can clean up his act and stay out of trouble, there's a decent hockey player in there. He just needs to be careful with his health and reputation. The same words have been said about a lot of old stars when they were young and daft 

19 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

We've called up Prosvetov. I can see him getting a game if Annunen stays sick for much longer.

I bet you even shuddered as you typed that! It was mental they didn't get cover when they had a chance, even someone like Jake Allen as a reliable backup

10 minutes ago, Torpar said:

Bed officially un-shat. Get Willie Nylander back on home ice and we're cruising. Some snipe from JT last night, hopefully Marchand is OK after Bertuzzi apparently gave him the Nancy Kerrigan treatment.... 

Is the parade officially back on?

Bertuzzi and Domi together are good fun, never know what you'll get with them

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

I bet you even shuddered as you typed that! It was mental they didn't get cover when they had a chance, even someone like Jake Allen as a reliable backup

Is the parade officially back on?

Bertuzzi and Domi together are good fun, never know what you'll get with them

I'd much rather have Prosvetov in tonight, even if it's a case of magic box syndrome. He never looked like he was in full control of his limbs, so at least if he doesn't know what he's going to do the Jets can't either.

Brad Marchand is a wee rat p***k, but some player, his first goal last night was a perfect snipe. The officiating leading up to the Bruins second goal was pathetic though, Marner gets body slammed behind the net, then Marchand and Bertuzzi both get away with what should have been coincidental minors. Fingers crossed Willie Nylander will hop on the TTC and play on Saturday.