N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I was at the game too and you're right the kids love Gangnam Style but you get some really embarrassing adults at hockey games too. During Gangnam Style you looked around at all the kids doing the wee dance thinking 'oh well they're only wee kids having fun, fair enough' then you see the odd 35-50 year old, obese hairy man/woman doing the dance and just lose hope in humanity that they don't feel raw shame when doing it, particularly looking like that with everything jiggling around wile jumping up and down.

:lol:

There's also a gay wee song where everyone lifts their arms up and goes "woooo". Worst thing I've ever seen.

I was at the game too and you're right the kids love Gangnam Style but you get some really embarrassing adults at hockey games too. During Gangnam Style you looked around at all the kids doing the wee dance thinking 'oh well they're only wee kids having fun, fair enough' then you see the odd 35-50 year old, obese hairy man/woman doing the dance and just lose hope in humanity that they don't feel raw shame when doing it, particularly looking like that with everything jiggling around wile jumping up and down.

Haha you're absolutely spot on. Some of the chants (generally those made up by the maturer element to the fanbase) are equally dire.

:lol:

There's also a gay wee song where everyone lifts their arms up and goes "woooo". Worst thing I've ever seen.

I've no idea how it came about but this is somehow a tradition at hockey matches all over the UK. Very, very weird.

I've no idea how it came about but this is somehow a tradition at hockey matches all over the UK. Very, very weird.

Not Edinburgh.

That's probably what I like most about the Caps, it's the closest to a football atmosphere and a departure from the watered down NHL chants you get at other teams.

The "chant on command" stuff Braehead did was even more boking than that "wooo" song mentioned above

Edited by ThankCrunchie

Yeah the 'woo' song is absolutely appaling. You get people who keep going after the actual song has stopped as well! Also you seem to see the same middle aged, overweight fans, when in groups, make up their own wee 'dances' that go along with certain songs that the tannoy plays. I watched in dismay as a group of 5 of them all swayed from side to side with one arm around the person to their left and the right arm outfront as if they were a 'super cool' driver. How do they not realise it is just hugely embarrasing!

I did have to laugh when we were getting pumped by Nottingham and someone started 'Lets pretend we scored a goal' and then a few seconds later everyone would just start cheering despite nothing happen on the ice.

However I can't stand some of them either, I refuse to participate in that stupid 'woo' one and that awful D - Fence chant they've tried to start on the penalty kill. They actually gave the cheerleaders a cardboard D and a fence to hold whenever it happens.

Double header against Edinburgh for us this weekend. Ask me last season and I'd be disappointed with anything less than 4 points but with the horrible state of our D and Zemlak looking worse almost every game (Currently last in the EIHL standings) I'm not so confident. Even more so with Edinburgh picking up a good win the other night.

Have to say though, this conference system is definitely working. Last season Edinburgh was the kind of game people would give a miss due to there not being much competition, simply not the case this season. In particular the rivalry building between ourselves and Fife is great for Scottish hockey.

Any caps fans know if you're losing any of your team to GB commitments? We'll be without Farmer which isn't great as he's done really well so far this season.

Any caps fans know if you're losing any of your team to GB commitments? We'll be without Farmer which isn't great as he's done really well so far this season.

That is a genuinely amusing question (though I'm not insinuating it's a stupid one to ask as a fan of another team). No, no they're not. Even if the plane to Japan crashes, killing the entire team, no Caps players would make the squad that replaced them. Edinburgh have the worst Brits in the league by far.

Not Edinburgh.

That's probably what I like most about the Caps, it's the closest to a football atmosphere and a departure from the watered down NHL chants you get at other teams.

The "chant on command" stuff Braehead did was even more boking than that "wooo" song mentioned above

Agreed. It was about ten years ago now that we started coming up with a chant for each individual player. If you support a team that finishes bottom of the league three seasons running then you've got to have some fun and banter in the crowd to make it worthwhile. It's generally horrid being a Caps fan Monday-Saturday but the atmosphere at the games on a Sunday makes up for it.

As for Braehead, yes, the forced, sing when you're told to plastic atmosphere that they've installed there is something I personally dislike greatly. However, their crowd numbers don't lie, and if it's working for them then fair play. All the other Scottish teams wish they had Braehead's success (and rich owner, but that's beside the point).

Not Edinburgh.

Really? I'm certain I've heard it in Edinburgh. I'm talking 6-7 years ago, but I'm fairly sure I have.

That is a genuinely amusing question (though I'm not insinuating it's a stupid one to ask as a fan of another team). No, no they're not. Even if the plane to Japan crashes, killing the entire team, no Caps players would make the squad that replaced them. Edinburgh have the worst Brits in the league by far.

I didn't think you would but hey ho. Our only other brit that was near the squad is Kevin Phillips, made the initial 30 but not the cut. Just as well as he's pretty woeful!

Edited by Spiders For Life

I didn't think you would but hey ho. Our only other brit that was near the squad is Kevin Phillips, made the initial 30 but not the cut. Just as well as he's pretty woeful!

Don't let anyone hear you say that or you'll have an angry mob after you!

Yeah the 'woo' song is absolutely appaling. You get people who keep going after the actual song has stopped as well! Also you seem to see the same middle aged, overweight fans, when in groups, make up their own wee 'dances' that go along with certain songs that the tannoy plays. I watched in dismay as a group of 5 of them all swayed from side to side with one arm around the person to their left and the right arm outfront as if they were a 'super cool' driver. How do they not realise it is just hugely embarrasing!

:lol: I saw that as well - unbelievably cringeworthy. But very entertaining.

I quite like the atmosphere they have at Braehead. I think it's a good thing that it's different from a football atmosphere. All these ridiculous things going on around you add ot the spectacle.

I've been wanting to go up to a game but the buses back to Greenock are always done by the time a game's over and I don't drive. I guess I'd be able to get a bus from Braehead into Paisley in the evening so I'd be able to get a train back from there?

I've been wanting to go up to a game but the buses back to Greenock are always done by the time a game's over and I don't drive. I guess I'd be able to get a bus from Braehead into Paisley in the evening so I'd be able to get a train back from there?

I'd imagine there are probably one of two into Paisley but I don't really know for sure.

You can definitely get the First 747 into Glasgow city centre after games though.

I saw GB beat Japan recently to put them into the next stage of qualifying for the Winter Olympics. Is it just one team that qualifies out of this group? If so, I don't think we really have much chance.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

Hmmm. Chaumont and Campbell cut from the clan. I would take chaumont at fife, hopefully he would have a point to prove. He's very bitter about getting the boot, and a lot of the clan fans are unhappy with zemlak.

Hmmm. Chaumont and Campbell cut from the clan. I would take chaumont at fife, hopefully he would have a point to prove. He's very bitter about getting the boot, and a lot of the clan fans are unhappy with zemlak.

Shit has definitely hit the fan at Braehead. Just have a look at the forum to see the total meltdown from the fans.

Chaumont could do a job but in truth I'm glad he's gone, never looked interested and for the wages he'll be on we should be able to get someone better. He's a point a game kinda guy though so could help fife.

As for Campbell, 0 points in 12 games says it all really. Zemlak has looked a bombscare and I think he's being found out, sadly for us.

Chaumont should never have been asked to come back, he was punted already for not giving a shit and as far as I'm aware that's more or less exactly what's happened again. Campbell in all honesty has never been one of my favourites even if so many people seemed to rate him, I always seen him as a bit of a filler as far as imports went even when he was at his best, but as has been mentioned his record this year is horrible and you can't afford to be having import spots taken up by passengers. I'm happy that the management had the balls to make these decisions.

Zemlak has looked a bombscare and I think he's being found out, sadly for us.

Zemlak getting pulled on Saturday was fantastic laugh.gif.

Although clearly not very popular amongst Edinburgh fans, I think he's actually better than a lot of people give him credit for. Even when he was shipping goals like a sieve he was still making some outstanding saves, the one from Hartmann being almost superhuman.

I've never been particularly impressed by Chaumont, and barely noticed Campbell's existence in the Braehead games I've seen. Seems like a good decision to bin them.

Zemlak getting pulled on Saturday was fantastic laugh.gif.

Although clearly not very popular amongst Edinburgh fans, I think he's actually better than a lot of people give him credit for. Even when he was shipping goals like a sieve he was still making some outstanding saves, the one from Hartmann being almost superhuman.

I've never been particularly impressed by Chaumont, and barely noticed Campbell's existence in the Braehead games I've seen. Seems like a good decision to bin them.

The issue with Chaumont isn't that he's a bad player, in fact it's almost the opposite. He's a very good player when he wants to be, but all too often it's as though he has no interest.

Both chaumont and Campbell were at the fife vs hull game last night. Fife won 4-3.

Makes sense, they'll have visas till the end of the season and wouldn't want to jump ships to some other country if they don't have to I'd imagine.

Hopefully we don't see the same results with them as we did with Wirll joining Dundee haha!