N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

No one watching the Bolts and the Bruins game 7 right now? High octane stuff, as with every game seven with Seidenberg sending St. Louis sprawling with an absolute peach of a hit. Hoping for the Bolts to win mind you.

No one watching the Bolts and the Bruins game 7 right now? High octane stuff, as with every game seven with Seidenberg sending St. Louis sprawling with an absolute peach of a hit. Hoping for the Bolts to win mind you.

Great game, no fouls, one goal but just constant action. Mon' the Bruins!

Atlanta Thrashers are no more, and Winnipeg will have a team next year. I think the situation is very unfortunate for Atlanta and everyone that is saying it's going to be so much better in Winnipeg may not be right. Although the arena capacity in Winnipeg was and is much smaller than it is in Atlanta, Atlanta only had a season average lower than Winnipeg twice in their twelve year history. It doesn't really affect me, but I'm curious to see what happens if the Jets/Moose don't make the playoffs for ten years and they again only pull in 13,000 a night.

Anyway, pulling for the Bruins in the final because they are underdogs. Bruins will need a huge series from Tim Thomas. Hope it's a good series either way.

Edited by kyle*

I didn't manage to stay up for the game last night, was shattered after playing sevens, but I caught the highlights earlier on on the telly. Looks from what I saw as though it's going to be a pretty tight series, with it possibly coming down to whatever team slips up even just the once over the course of a game, as happened right at the death in the game last night. The thing is, both sides have really deep rosters, so the longer the games go on, there are a number of players on either team who are capable of stepping up and getting an important goal or making an important play, even if the top line players haven't been able to produce.

The stat they showed was interesting though - 77.5% of the time, the team that have won Game 1 of the Stanley Cup have gone on to win the series. Obviously that's not technically relevant as far as this year's series is concerned, but it does definitely suggest that the Canucks have got an advantage early on.

Atlanta Thrashers are no more, and Winnipeg will have a team next year. I think the situation is very unfortunate for Atlanta and everyone that is saying it's going to be so much better in Winnipeg may not be right. Although the arena capacity in Winnipeg was and is much smaller than it is in Atlanta, Atlanta only had a season average lower than Winnipeg twice in their twelve year history. It doesn't really affect me, but I'm curious to see what happens if the Jets/Moose don't make the playoffs for ten years and they again only pull in 13,000 a night.

This sadly is just the nature of top level North American sports. Teams in smaller markets, or as is the case with hockey, in markets where hockey isn't necessarily a particularly big draw are always liable to be on the move after a few years. In the long run, the likelihood is that they're going to end up in another city, which admittedly is a shame for the supporters, but because they don't really have a say in what goes on they don't have another choice.

Personally I think you'll see a situation in Winnipeg similar to what we've seen in Minnesota where the North Stars fans who lost their team in the first place are that keen for the same thing not to happen again that the Wild have sold out every game for the past 11 years.

That's a bad hit. Got a 4 game suspension for it tho which puts him out for the rest o the finals and if it doesn't go to 7 then it continues at the start of next season.

You can't be serious?

He's right, it was a late hit and as such interference, but it was not that late at all, less than a second. Horton was watching his pass for a split second too long which contributed to the severity of the collision. Still a penalty, still a 5 minute major given the NHL's (stupid) policy on injuries determining penalties, but a 4 game suspension in the SCF? When the previous biggest suspension ever was given in the SCF is 1 game? At worst, it's comparable to Pronger's elbow in the 2007 Finals

which got him a game suspension. A relatively easy suspension for the NHL given that it was Rome, but it really was nowhere near the worst hit of these playoffs, never mind the worst hit in the history of the Finals (by a long way judging by the disciplinary system).

Anyway, Canucks take game 5 thanks to the great, honourable Maxim Lapierre. One game away, but this one is destined to go to 7.