N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Can't say it hasn't been coming, we've been getting progressively worse year by year getting rid of our best players (or letting them go) so maybe this is the wake-up call we need.

Oh yeah and forgot to mention that even with video technology, the refs can still make the wrong decisions at crucial points in the game! Cheating, lying little rat.

Hopefully will manage to take in a Canucks playoff game, come on Vancouver!

Sharks should destroy a Kopitar-less Kings. Good start for the Canucks last night, blitzed the Hawks in the first period and they never recovered, Luongo off to a good start which is massively important. Sedins looked a bit off the pace but Kesler was a beast. Cody Hodgson thrown straight in at the deep end looked good, and Maxim Lapierre is showing his playoff form again. Edler is looking like a top top D-man. All in all a pretty good report, but the Hawks looked good in the second and third and the Canucks won the first game in the last two years against them.

Sharks should destroy a Kopitar-less Kings. Good start for the Canucks last night, blitzed the Hawks in the first period and they never recovered, Luongo off to a good start which is massively important. Sedins looked a bit off the pace but Kesler was a beast. Cody Hodgson thrown straight in at the deep end looked good, and Maxim Lapierre is showing his playoff form again. Edler is looking like a top top D-man. All in all a pretty good report, but the Hawks looked good in the second and third and the Canucks won the first game in the last two years against them.

Both Sedins and Kesler had a bug and missed training the morning of the game so maybe that's why they were off the pace but Kesler did have a stunner.

Oh yeah and forgot to mention that even with video technology, the refs can still make the wrong decisions at crucial points in the game! Cheating, lying little rat.

Hopefully will manage to take in a Canucks playoff game, come on Vancouver!

are you over in Vancouver on Holiday?

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody?

Penguins totally c'nt up against the Lightning and end up going out in the first round. Pretty terrible to be honest, but what can you expect from a team without their two best players. Disappointed nonetheless.

I"m backing Nashville and Tampa now. :D

Vancouver v Chicago was pretty funny, thought for a minute they were going to totally f**k it up. 3-0 in the series and then 1-0 up in the final game and Toews scores a shorthanded goal. Definitely think they will beat Nashville though. Was reasonably comfortable tonight, although I wasn't really watching too closely, whenever I looked up Nashville seemed to be on the powerplay, but never looked particularly threatening. I kind of want the Bruins to win though. Everyone was delighted they knocked out Montreal. :)

Canucks v Hawks was really rather stressful, but maybe taught the Canucks a lesson they needed to learn. At 3-0 they didn't turn up for a couple of games, thought they were cruising. Momentum shifts so easily in these series.

Canucks looked good first game against Nashville who were terrible bar Rinne, but they didn't get past the talented Ducks for no reason, expect them to put up more fight tonight. If the Canucks make it through that, I'm scared of whoever we get in the Conference Final, but nobody except Philly scares me in the East.

So nervy watching the Wings grind out the result last night, really thought they were going to lose it in overtime all over again before Helm got the winner. It was interesting to see actually, that with a minute left and a faceoff in the Sharks zone, Babcock opted to put out the Abdelkader-Eaves-Helm line to try and get the goal, given that they're not really known for being the most prolific, but I guess they proved they're the sort of players you can rely on when you're in that sort of situation. In many ways that is the strength of Detroit, or really any good side in the playoffs - players aren't defined to just one role, and need to be able to get the job done going forward and on defense.

Not sure if they'll be able to take it to a Game 6 with a win Sunday night, but I think it was important psychologically that they won the game in the same way San Jose won the first three - should give them encouragement going into the 5th game.

Tell you what, the Sharks are quietly getting on with business with nobody really mentioning them. Outsiders perhaps?

I wouldn't say you are an outsider when 3-1 up on the Detroit Red Wings in the conference semis :P

Exciting times to be a Canucks fan, but San Jose or Detroit will present a different (and tougher) test than either the Canucks have faced so far. To get through the Conference finals they'll really need Henrik Sedin to step up to the level he is capable of, although I'm just not convinced the Sedins are designed to thrive in playoff hockey ever, unlike the God-like Ryan Kesler.

I wouldn't say you are an outsider when 3-1 up on the Detroit Red Wings in the conference semis :P

Exciting times to be a Canucks fan, but San Jose or Detroit will present a different (and tougher) test than either the Canucks have faced so far. To get through the Conference finals they'll really need Henrik Sedin to step up to the level he is capable of, although I'm just not convinced the Sedins are designed to thrive in playoff hockey ever, unlike the God-like Ryan Kesler.

I agree my man, Both Sedins have lost their way as of late. Kesler really is stepping up throughout the playoffs. Didnt get a goal for 7+ matches but was still the main driving force behind us.

I agree my man, Both Sedins have lost their way as of late. Kesler really is stepping up throughout the playoffs. Didnt get a goal for 7+ matches but was still the main driving force behind us.

It's often the way it works in the playoffs, that the opposition place such a stress on getting the right matchups and ensuring that they have their best defensive players on the ice in order to negate the offensive output of the other team's star players that they can struggle a bit. Great players (like the Sedins) usually manage to pull through, but in the meantime, Canucks have been getting enough from their lower line guys, and as you say, their other star players like Kesler. If Henrik and Daniel do end up getting their act together, and get back to their form from the regular season, you'd have to think Vancouver will be near enough unbeatable.