N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I've got the wings at 8/1, You are spot on with the flyers, can see it being them vs the pens in the east final, possibly the Lightening, the caps are looking like a broken team, same players, no bite, semin, ovi, green have all been poor this season. Nucks, Pens, Wings or Flyers will win this season.

I think the top 4 contenders will be the flyers, wings, pens and canucks. Tampa although faltering a bit of late will always be a darkhorse. Anything can happen though, look at last season for instance the Caps were high flying a bit like Vancouver is at the moment and then got pumped out of the playoffs straight away by the 8th ranked Habs and the eastern conference final was played between the two lowest ranked teams in the playoffs so playoff form is a must and not just regular season form.

As for the Habs was good to see us get a win today against NY Rangers to keep us within touch of Boston thanks to the Pens knocking them over.

Pens without sid = mid table team, Malkin is the only world class player in the team right now.

Maybe. Or maybe not. Im happy with the D and Fleury right now. Big win last night against a bit of a bogey team.

And even though he scored the GWG, I blame Jordan Staal!;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys it's been awhile since I've been on this thread - up and down in terms of watching the Isles. After a great start then followed 1 win in 20 games which saw Scott Gordon lose his job. Jack Capuano stepped into the breach and has done fairly well. The story of our season has been goaltenders, losing Roloson to the Bolts was a big loss magnified by the injuries to other goal tenders resulting in 5 other goaltenders playing this season - DiPietro, Lawson, Poulin, Kosnioken and Montoya. Montoya is in goals at the moment and is playing quite well. Micheal Grabner has been outstanding in the last month or two and could easily get rookie of the year he has 25 goals so far this season. Tavares and Moulson continue to be the key players for us, Moulson leads the way with 28 goals while Tavares has 23. Highlights of the season included the 9-3 demolition on the Pens and good wins against the Red Wings and Flyers. The playoff are out of reach but a good end of the season trying to finish as high as possible in the league. The Devils have been on a great run over the last few months and it will be difficult to catch them buit not impossible. Playing the Blues today hoping to build on a good win against the Wild - C'mon you Isles!

• 2 weeks later...

How exciting is this playoff race?

Current standings in the Pacific division:

1. San Jose- 72gp, 90 points, 3rd in Western conference

2. Phoenix- 72gp, 87 points, 4th in Western conference

3. Los Angeles- 71gp, 85 points, 5th in Western conference

4. Dallas- 71gp, 84 points, 6th in Western conference

5. Anaheim- 70gp, 81 points, 10th in Western conference

Anaheim is the only team currently out of it, but they are only two points out of the 8th spot (Calgary, who have played 73). It's pretty exciting, too, that the Ducks final 5 opponents are division teams, and the final two games are back-to-back against LA. I think that'll add a lot more to the rivalry, because the teams have never met in the playoffs, but those two games could decide which team is going to make it this year. Also left on the schedule is two games against Calgary and a back-to-back games next week against Dallas and Nashville (9th).

Should be a very exciting end to the season.

Aye, it's not over quite yet for Devils but the two losses to Sens recently is probably going to be costly. Not to mention the stewardship of John MacLean in the first half of the season.

Been one hell of a turnaround since January (23-4-2) and started with a blitz of goals in a few games but it's been back to the grind-it-out strategy since then. Still got to play Buffalo next Saturday so have to keep it going and hope they falter to make it a huge game.

I've been posted missing here this season due to losing interest in staying up to all hours to watch live. I watched the matches a day or so after instead so didn't want to look in here and see the scores being mentioned as Devils are so popular. :rolleyes: Just in the last couple of weeks I've been lured back to the live games. Almost forgot about all those ad breaks as they're edited out of the 'on demand' matches.

So, hopefully Kovalchuk > Ovechkin tonight in a major test of character. Spanked them 5-0 on their last visit although they got us 5-1 at their place after that. I wonder if big Steckel can give us a few pointers since he switched from the Caps at the deadline. Retro green kit tonight although not usually that obvious.

Anyone else noticed Swedish forward Mattias Tedenby against their team? Doesn't get too many minutes generally but I really enjoy that wee guy (5'9") when he gets a shift. Maybe overdoes it sometimes but he has bags of skill and is pretty elusive. Could make it big I think. Some of the rookies have been regulars now under Lemaire and have done very well.

Face-off coming up. Also supporting Islanders and Canadiens tonight.

---

Not a good night with all results going badly. Caps 3-0 winners. They out-trapped Devils who had put all the pressure on with 33 shots to Caps dozen or so. Looked tired as it went on and the wind really went from their sails but two nights running the opposition 'keepers have looked good. McElhinney of Sens and Neuvirth of Caps although we seemed to be aiming for his glove tonight.

That's Devils' season over for me. Some pride restored over the piece but not reaching the play-offs is poor. Not that they've impressed once there in recent seasons.

Edited by RWB

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we've fucked it up now, that game against Ducks was pretty crucial to win. Every game I've been to this year, Flames have lost, nightmare. :(

Can't say it hasn't been coming, we've been getting progressively worse year by year getting rid of our best players (or letting them go) so maybe this is the wake-up call we need.

For the first time, all three California teams will be going to the playoffs. I'd like to point out that's more than Canada will be sending. :lol: Thanks to the Ducks winning their final three games (including a delicious home and home sweep of LA), they'll have home ice advantage.

Also, Teemu Selanne dropped the gloves for the second time in his career. At age 40. The most amazing hockey player still playing right now. I hope he never retires. He is the reason I am a both a hockey fan and player, and of course, a Ducks fan. He had an unbelievable year finishing with 80 points (31+49) despite playing only 73 games (8th in points in the NHL).

post-11358-0-53604900-1302478929_thumb.j

Edited by kyle*