N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Thrashers a goal ahead of Penguins and Devils well and truly taking care of Islanders. Still not sure where we'll finish. Still 2 places to be won as well. Rangers v Flyers should be worth a watch tomorrow at 8pm our time I think.

There were a couple good fights in each of these games as well. Not to mention the very short fight that saw Kane knock down Pens bad guy Cooke with one punch (and another as he was on the way down).

Some achievement by Boston earlier. 3 short-handed goals. Not bad in itself but they were all on the same penalty kill!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thrashers held on to win so Devils win the division (again) & Penguins settle for 4th place to play Ottawa in the play-offs. Devils finished 7-1 winners so a horrendous finish to the season for the Isles. 7-2 loss to the Pens the other night and still another game v Pens to finish with.

Devils (2nd) play Buffalo (3rd) tomorrow to decide 2nd place. Chances are we get rivals Flyers or Rangers to start with so not ideal. Would prefer Boston but Montreal is still possible I think!

Decent wee hockey night in on Sunday with some earlier starts.

Edited by RWB

Flyers and Rangers down to a shoot-out to see who makes it in. Flyers make it with Jokinen missing when it mattered.

Se we get Bruins or Flyers depending on our result v Sabres. I'm thinking maybe we throw it tonight to get Bruins!

Just as I update this Sabres score.

Edited by RWB

Flyers win it - possibly because of the Rangers stalling and "playing for the shootout"

I wasn't convinced about that. They knocked it back behind their goal from near their blue line once but I think that was more a case of not wanting to cause a turnover and end of season.

Devils secured 2nd spot in the east with a 2-1 win tonight. We now have to face Flyers who've won 5 out of 6 meetings this season. Has to count for something but I think the Devils have stepped it up a bit lately with the power play/kill much improved. Brodeur has been strange in recent games giving up crazy chances going behind his goal.

Flyers didn't look great tonight (lots of broken plays from both sides) but given the nature of the game that's not surprising. Once they scored the place came to life and it seemed they were bound to win. Rangers keeper was the reason they were still in it even from early on.

Good fightback by Isles tonight. Back to 4-5 v Pens. Scratch that. 5-5!

So the playoffs are here then, and all of the first four matches end with the favoured team on the losing end ( this isn't strictly true, I guess as Phoenix were ranked ahead of Detroit over the regular season, but I think you'd still have to peg Detroit as favourites). Just watched the highlights there and it seemed to be a fairly even game, in fact my only real gripe would be that Derek Morris is given far too much room to tee up his shot for the gamewinner. I appreciate that the defense are trying to give Howard a clear sight of the shooter, but they seem so slow to react that he has all of the time in the world to get his shot away, and if you do that you're asking for trouble.

Watched the Pittsburgh v Sens game last night as well and although the scoreline suggests otherwise, I thought Ottawa looked well on top and were more than good for their win. In all honesty, if it hadn't been for Crosby and Malkin, I really don't think it would have been as close as that. Pittsburgh did get a few unfortunate bounces, with the buck deflecting awkwardly off the boards behind the goal but for one or two of the others, I really thought Fleury should have been doing a little better. Looks like it's going to be an exciting series anyway.

I think the Penguins Senators series is going to go the whole way, Ottawa were good last night. They managed to stop Crosby, and just did the little things right, and it worked for them.

I hope that the experience of most of the Pens players will win them this one though, there's quite a few guys on the Ottawa team who aren't used to the pressure of the playoffs. It didn't show last night of course, so I may be wrong.

I think the Penguins Senators series is going to go the whole way, Ottawa were good last night. They managed to stop Crosby, and just did the little things right, and it worked for them.

I hope that the experience of most of the Pens players will win them this one though, there's quite a few guys on the Ottawa team who aren't used to the pressure of the playoffs. It didn't show last night of course, so I may be wrong.

Well, that's the thing, it didn't show up in the fact that they won, but there was a little bit of a problem with discipline, as you saw the young guy Regin pick up 3 minor penalties, two of which I think resulted in Penguins goals on the powerplay.

As the Maple Leafs are a bunch of useless failures, I'm going for the Penguins in the playoffs.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sharks or Predators win it either. To be honest, as long as the Flyers and Habs don't win it I'm not too bothered.

Some start to the play-offs. All one goal wins and only 3 home sides winning game 1.

Flyers will take Devils out as that's 6 defeats in 7 to them now this season and they didn't to much offensively against Devils the other night to win it.

This is looking bad for Devils again at end of 1st. Scored short-handed to lead, Flyers equalise with a rare shot. Then Clarkson gets penalised for a fair last ditch diving poke check and Flyers score the pp. Shocking decision to help Flyers again although defence needs to take a look at itself. Footage already showed that Flyers winner in game 1 was when they had 7 men on the ice. It's hard enough beating this mob without simple decisions like those going against us.

That said, Flyers have been efficient and made the most of their chances when they get them.

Edit: 5-3 win after taking a pile of penalties in the 2nd and coming back to earn it. Missed plenty of very good chances all night and were our own worst enemy. Exciting game. Flyers still haven't got going yet but are still making it tough going for Devils.

Edited by RWB

Enjoyed last night's game more than game 1, although that's almost definitely down to the result. The Penguins contained the Senators offence so much better, and Fleury was excellent. Crosby managed to find a way around however Ottawa managed to stop him in the first game too, with a solid performance.

Going into the 2 games away from home at 1-1 isn't ideal, but it could be a whole lot worse, so I'm looking forward to the next games.