N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Right, I've decided to follow the NHL in the NFL off season and also after that great Olympics, where ice hockey was pushed into my consciousness and I've selected three teams that I like and your recommendations will help me choose whom I support. So, these are the three teams:

Atlanta Thrashers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Phoenix Coyotes

Any help would be appreciated.

Well, remember that one day you might have to go and see them. Columbus, Ohio? Phoenix, Arizona? Atlanta, Georgia? Not entirely sure those are three cities you particularly want to go to. And given that Ohio has no fewer than six MLB franchise blackouts, it probably won't be great for telly either.

Much like a few others who have posted the Olympics got me interested in NHL. Good to have something to watch when the NFL is off. Philly Eagles are my NFL team and I also follow the Sixers in the NBA so following suit I have plumped for Philly in the NHL. They are on ESPN in five mins against Toronto.

Are they any good? Should I be expecting a hammering?

laugh.gif I'm an Airdrie fan. Used to supporting teams that aren't exactly liked.

Is there a reason why everyone hates them in particular?

Aye, Philly's twined with Airdrie ;)

Aye, Philly's twined with Airdrie wink.gif

ph34r.gif They can't be that shit surely

I think if you're planning to pick up a team I'd recommend East Coast teams for the better time difference and the fact they seem to get more games on ESPN if you plan on watching it there. Flyers are the Stoke of the NHL.

Fair enough. Just picked them by default as I follow the Eagles and Sixers as I mentioned before. Watching the re-run of the game from last night. Fell asleep watching it.

A few questions about NHL then.

1- who are the biggest or best team at the moment?

2- Who are the worst team at the moment?

3- Are any team especially hated?

Does NFL follow the same sort of playoff and draft formats of the NFL?

I was meaning the actual towns are twinned, shithole to shithole.

I know, people in glass houses and all that :rolleyes:

Fair enough. Just picked them by default as I follow the Eagles and Sixers as I mentioned before. Watching the re-run of the game from last night. Fell asleep watching it.

A few questions about NHL then.

1- who are the biggest or best team at the moment?

2- Who are the worst team at the moment?

3- Are any team especially hated?

Does NFL follow the same sort of playoff and draft formats of the NFL?

The Penguins, Washington or SJS.

The Panthers are usually rubbish.

The Flyers.

I was meaning the actual towns are twinned, shithole to shithole.

I know, people in glass houses and all that rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif Larkhall...... at least you acknowledged that wink.gif

Cheers for the info Mr Brightside.

See the Flyers won last night. Pretty good. The guy Carcillo seems to be able to get under opposing players skin quite easily. A few Toronto players wanted to have a go at him.

See the Flyers won last night. Pretty good. The guy Carcillo seems to be able to get under opposing players skin quite easily. A few Toronto players wanted to have a go at him.

There seems to be a lot of nastiness between the 2 teams. I only watched the first period, but Caracillo did an excellent job of getting the 4 minute penalty, then after the Mapleleafs had managed to hold off from giving up a goal, Orr (Who got the penalty on Carcillo) went straight back into the penalty box for another penalty. The Maple Leafs were very poor in that first period in terms of discipline, and with only 1 goal it was disappointing really for the Flyers. They held on though, and are still in that battle for a playoff spot. Don't think they will go far however.