N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

F*** me. 3-1 down to Leafs and won 4-3. Where the hell did that come from? Been sitting feeling miserable watching another poor show from Devils then bang, bang, bang. One with 3 mins to go and two in the last minute. A much needed win and it showed with the players celebrations at the end.

Like the look of Kovalchuk. Moved well and looked dangerous and should add much needed options to our power play.

Didn't realise we'd traded with Atlanta until I tuned into the game. Was hoping for something to happen to shake things up. Sorry to see rookie Bergfors going as he got off to a great start and always seemed to score v Penguins.

Typical Leafs. Whenever we concede one goal we always concede another right after. It's not the first time this season we've chucked a win in the last minute either, the most memorable moment being when we took a lead over the Canes with 30 seconds left, just for them to equalize with three seconds left and go on to win a shootout.

It really isn't Toronto's season :(

Devils on another streak. Sadly it's defeats these days. Two 3-2 losses this week to Flyers after being 2-0 ahead in both.

Salmela took a big hit in that first game as our defender scored a short-handed goal. Only just rejoined Devils from Thrashers along with Kovalchuk.

He shoots, he scores, he's unconscious!

Lucky to get away with a minor injury after being face down on the ice for some time. Can't say it was a bad hit to be honest. Unfortunate but GET CARTER! :P

Decent 5-2 win on Friday against Predators only to crash 5-2 to Hurricanes last night. Power-play and penalty kill isn't good enough this season and undoes most of the decent work that's going in to try and win games. It's increasingly worrying how easy it is for other teams to hit the net with long pot-shots while we struggle to set anything like that up.

The break might help them to regroup but not a chance we'll get near the Cup this season.

• 3 weeks later...

I now approve of the Penguins' fanbase.

Ducks are back tomorrow!

I'm sure Sid will be forgiven when he brings another cup to Pittsburgh! :P

Anyway, Penguins have traded for Ponikarovsky from the Leafs for Luca Caputi and Martin Skoula. Caputi has been great in the AHL, but he's not quite NHL calibre, at least he isn't yet anyway.

Still a good trade in my opinion, and a good result last night too against Buffalo winning 3-2.

Sergei Gonchar got his 200th NHL goal, what a tremendous player he really is. There aren't too many defenseman as dangerous as him on the powerplay in the league, and he really adds so much to this team it's actually quite scary, it was proven last season when his return coincided with the Pens, well, becoming good again, going on a great run, and winning the cup.

Go Pens!

I watched the odd game on ESPN and enjoyed the olympic final, but not got a team as such so not that much interest for me. Most of you guys seem quite passionate about the teams you follow, how did you end up with these teams, I've tried to find a reason to support someone but as yet Calgary Flames are the best I can do because they're nearly Claret and Amber (well their website linked to NHL seems to be anyway)

Who should I be supporting, might make me watch more games if I've a team.

I watched the odd game on ESPN and enjoyed the olympic final, but not got a team as such so not that much interest for me. Most of you guys seem quite passionate about the teams you follow, how did you end up with these teams, I've tried to find a reason to support someone but as yet Calgary Flames are the best I can do because they're nearly Claret and Amber (well their website linked to NHL seems to be anyway)

Philadelphia Flyers.

Philadelphia_Flyers_Wallpaper_by_quackeration.jpg

Their "goalkeeper" is called Leighton.

I ended up supporting the Flames because I've been to Calgary (Banff) twice.

And a reason for you to support them is that I'm a Motherwell fan and so are you...

Im in the exact same position Deky

Watched a lot of hockey since we moved here in May but still haven't found "my" team

Loved watching the Olympics but probably more the world juniors in January

Uncle was from IL and always had me supporting the Bulls, Bears, Cubs & Blackhawks but not seen much of them this year.

Have Avalanche, Ducks & Leafs jerseys from previous holidays but dont really have an affinity with either teams

Mrs Simplyton has opted for the Penguins because Sidney is a "lovely boy" but im still undecided.

At the moment im leaning towards Chicago but hoping to see a bit more of them on the box.

Watched a lot of hockey since we moved here in May but still haven't found "my" team

Uncle was from IL and always had me supporting the Bulls, Bears, Cubs & Blackhawks but not seen much of them this year.

Have Avalanche, Ducks & Leafs jerseys from previous holidays but dont really have an affinity with either teams

Mrs Simplyton has opted for the Penguins because Sidney is a "lovely boy" but im still undecided.

At the moment im leaning towards Chicago but hoping to see a bit more of them on the box.

Don't support any of them!

Chicago is a not bad choice, young-ish team with a bright future probably.

I ended up supporting the Flames because I've been to Calgary (Banff) twice.

And a reason for you to support them is that I'm a Motherwell fan and so are you...

It's a better eason than Bluetooners :lol:

Flames it is, until I decide otherwise.

I've never been to America or Canada and don't really have any family links either, so I'm simply blindly picking a team.

I sort of follow the Redskins in NFL due to blatant Claret and Amber rip off and the Twins in MLB, sadly for no better reason than I'm a Gemini :rolleyes: Sad but true.

Not much of a Basketball fan so not bothered bout NBA.

It's a better eason than Bluetooners :lol:

Flames it is, until I decide otherwise.

I've never been to America or Canada and don't really have any family links either, so I'm simply blindly picking a team.

I sort of follow the Redskins in NFL due to blatant Claret and Amber rip off and the Twins in MLB, sadly for no better reason than I'm a Gemini :rolleyes: Sad but true.

Not much of a Basketball fan so not bothered bout NBA.

Good good.

We'll be a let down though, don't expect an SC any time soon...

That used to be my reason for liking them, but now I support the Jets (green and white, I know)

I'm a Canuck having lived there for a year, I would say if you enjoyed the passion of the Olympics and the beauty of Vancouver as a city, you only really have one option. Don't opt for the Pens as that is just blatant gloryhunting :P

If you have a decent claim to Chicago I'd take that though, easily one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league and in Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane they have two of the best young players in the NHL. If you jump on now you've got a good chance of celebrating a Stanley Cup win come June.

Oh and the Flames are rubbish and Calgary is a horrible place (although Banff is rather nice).

I'm a Canuck having lived there for a year, I would say if you enjoyed the passion of the Olympics and the beauty of Vancouver as a city, you only really have one option. Don't opt for the Pens as that is just blatant gloryhunting :P

If you have a decent claim to Chicago I'd take that though, easily one of the most exciting teams to watch in the league and in Jonathon Toews and Patrick Kane they have two of the best young players in the NHL. If you jump on now you've got a good chance of celebrating a Stanley Cup win come June.

Oh and the Flames are rubbish and Calgary is a horrible place (although Banff is rather nice).

After watching the Winter Olympics I really want to go to Vancouver at some point, it looks nice.

I wish I had a claim for Chicago. :(

Och away ye go you! :angry:

Does it not seem totally false to suggest to someone that they just suddenly start supporting a team? If you watch hockey, and no particular team grabs you, then you don't support a team but it hardly means you can't watch hockey. I started watching a few years ago, and I got into Detroit because of their players and their history plus the city of Detroit itself, but it wasn't a conscious decision I made.

I think you should support San Jose because they have a guy called Thornton and he is very good, and there is a branch of Thornton's Chocolates in Motherwell and they provide delicious sugary treats on match days. Possibly.

Does it not seem totally false to suggest to someone that they just suddenly start supporting a team? If you watch hockey, and no particular team grabs you, then you don't support a team but it hardly means you can't watch hockey. I started watching a few years ago, and I got into Detroit because of their players and their history plus the city of Detroit itself, but it wasn't a conscious decision I made.

I find it difficult to follow a sport if I don't have particular favourites, usually based on tenuous family connections or whatever else is available, so I think if you want to get into hockey that's the best way to do it. Picking the Red Wings though is a bit like deciding you like soccer and adopting Man U. If you want a team with history, try Toronto.