N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I just bought tickets for the Flyers vs Toronto on Wednesday - bringing my mum to the game. Hopefully it is as good as the last one we watched was.

Run down the front banging the glass with a "Pie & Bovril" sign to prove it. :D

Minnesota born Langenbrunner scored his 1st ever hat-trick last night for Devils in Minnesota. Coasting at 4-2 until a Wild forward headed in a 3rd late on! Jammy git. Wild obviously went for it and came close but got sloppy and Jamie intercepted to skate away for the empty netter (again). Untidy win.

Any other headed goals out there?

A great game at the Coliseum last night against Atlanta, with the Islanders win 6-5 in the shootout. The Isles totally dominated the 1st period going 3-0 up with Moulson, Sim and Park baging the goals (Sim's was a belter). 2nd period Atlanta came more into it, but the Islanders found themselves 5-1 at one point with Hunter and Bailey scoring. We then fell apart in defence and found ourselves leading 5-4 by the end of the period. Kovalchuk bagged himself a powerplay goal to tie the game midway through the 3rd period. Islanders won 2-1 in the shootout thanks to Neilsen and Tambellini scoring. Third game in a row the Isles have been involved in a shootout, won two and lost one. At least we are picking up points :D:D , which is just as well with 3 tough road games coming up against Colorado, Dallas and Phoenix <_<:unsure: .

In the spirit of enjoying things while they last, Henrik Sedin is now the top point scorer in the NHL with 58 (albeit level with Thornton, but NHL has him at number 1 so that's good enough for me). The Sedins, especially Henrik, really look like breaking into the superstar bracket this year. P.S. 7-3 at Columbus.

Edited by Virtual Insanity

Anybody seen the antics of Ott of the Dallas Stars? Likes to wind up opponents as much as possible. He includes a routine of presumably asking an opponent who they are then going round behind them to read their name. He picked on a Devils rookie with this and Niedermayer went for him.

Sadly Patrick Elias of all people snapped and took 2 penalties for hitting him. One was in a face off where Elias just gubbed him one in the face before the puck dropped. :lol: God knows what Ott said! The beauty of it was that Devils survived the pp and as Elias stepped out the box, he took a loose pass (from Ott behind the Devils net) and skated in to slam it into the top corner for 2-0. Perfect outcome. Elias wasn't finished though and got into another minor scrap with Ott later on, this time defending a team-mate.

The 4-0 score before the end of the 2nd seemed to shut the guy up though. Great show from Marty for 3rd shut-out in 7 games. Dallas keeper didn't look too hot but an enjoyable high tempo game last night.

Edited by RWB

In the spirit of enjoying things while they last, Henrik Sedin is now the top point scorer in the NHL with 58 (albeit level with Thornton, but NHL has him at number 1 so that's good enough for me). The Sedins, especially Henrik, really look like breaking into the superstar bracket this year. P.S. 7-3 at Columbus.

Some schedule they've got coming up. 8 out of 10 at home then 14 away!

Well, just back from the game, and the Flyers thrashed the Maple Leafs 6-2 (was even more comfortable than sounds). More than that, there were at least 5 fights in an ill tempered game - for those that know more than me, is there any history between the 2 teams?

Anyway, was an enjoyable evening and i'll post pics when i can get them onto my computer.

Well, just back from the game, and the Flyers thrashed the Maple Leafs 6-2 (was even more comfortable than sounds). More than that, there were at least 5 fights in an ill tempered game - for those that know more than me, is there any history between the 2 teams?

Anyway, was an enjoyable evening and i'll post pics when i can get them onto my computer.

Philadelphia are probably the Leafs' biggest rivals from the U.S. It goes right back to when the Flyers were still a relatively new team, and even in 2003 and 2004 the Flyers beat the Leafs in the playoffs.

Philadelphia are probably the Leafs' biggest rivals from the U.S. It goes right back to when the Flyers were still a relatively new team, and even in 2003 and 2004 the Flyers beat the Leafs in the playoffs.

Ok, i was just shocked - i had just finished telling my mum about the fact there isn't as much fighting as there use to be - and 19 seconds into the game a fight breaks out.

Just watched the highlights of the Isles game at the Pepsi Center last night. A great 3-2 win, back by quite a few fans travelling from Long Island. :D . The Avs dominated early on in the first period and took an early lead from a powerplay. Sim equalised late in the 1st with a scrappy goal. The Isles then took the lead from a powerplay midway through the 2nd period with technically one of the best goals I've seen this season. A long range effort was blocked by the Avs goalie and the puck went airborne to Schremp who was standing 2yards to the right of the goal. He touched the puck down with his right hand, and as it dropped to waist height he smashed the puck baseball style into the top corner of the net. Fantastic goal (fans on here should check it out and see what they think). Colorado equalised midway through the 3rd period and looked more likely to win, only to be stopped by some great goalkeeping by Roloson. The winner came on the break as Okposo race through with 2 minutes to go and smashed the puck in the top corner for the victory. :D:D

Isles went down 4-3 in Dallas last night. The main talking point was Rick Dipietro's first start for over a year for the Islanders. Didn't do that badly, and despite talking the lead three times with goals from Bailey, Okposo and Neilsen - the Stars were probably the better side and deserved the win. Tough game in Pheonix tonight, not feeling confident. :(

Was over in Canada visiting the in laws for Christmas and New Year and took in the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles v. Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL. First hockey game I was at and really enjoyed it, decent crowd of 5000 and a good atmosphere. A few NHL prospects were playing and they were telling us three former Cape Breton players will be playing in the Winter Olympics next month. Also watched the World Junior matches between Canada and the US on TV whilst over there and both games were superb, Ill be following Hockey more from now on.

As an aside (and I know its not the proper forum) can anybody tell me the best Hockey game for the PS2?

Assuming they are similar to PS3, the EA NHL series shits all over the 2K one, and the last 2 are probably the greatest sports games of all time, so in answer to your question, buy NHL 10 or if you're looking for a cheaper introduction, 09. I'd rather have NHL 09 than 2K10.

Canucks 2-2 Flames after 2.

Dion Phaneuf is a disaster of a hockey player.

Edited by Virtual Insanity

Flames win in a SO after scoring all 3 of theirs, Canucks scored 2 and had 1 off the post. Supposedly two of the best goaltenders in the NHL at work right there. A good intense physical game for this stage of the season, but how Dion Phaneuf made it through that game with only one penalty is beyond me.

Interesting situation last night in the Pens Leafs game, where Gonchar scores a goal which the refs don't see, and then one of the Leafs guys gets hooked on the breakaway (by Gonchar) and the refs award a penalty shot. On review, however, they notice that the puck did in fact cross the line and award the goal to the Penguins, and Gonchar gets to celebrate by spending two minutes in the box since the hooking call still stood, but there was no penalty shot since the rules state that there cannot be two goals on the one stoppage.