N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Pens v PHILLIES

I guarantee the Pens would thrash the Phillies at Ice-Hockey - although would get thrashed at baseball by the Phillies.

SHARKS v ducks

WINGS v Blue Jackets

canucks v BLUES

hawks v FLAMES

BRUINS v Habs

CAPS v rangers

DEVILS v Canes

Pens v FLYERS

Seeing as there are over 750 posts on NHL I thought I would ask this question... Does anyone follow any British Ice hockey?

I followed Romford Raiders for many tears. I know Andy Hannah and Carl Greenhous very well and Jason Rushton not so well, I go along to Edinburgh whenever I can (see mixu there most weeks).

Would be good to get some chat going with anyone else who follows British Ice hockey.

Ive actually wondered that as well. What is British hockey like? I remember Wade Belak played in the elite league during the lockout and didnt do much except fight a few guys. He had a few more points than he would have in the NHL, but nothing too exciting.

What is the Scottish league like. How is it set up? How do the leagues compare to something like the CHL or AHL?

Who was that other Canadian nut job who Belak fought a few times. I remember seeing that on youtube I think. Hate to ask about fighting, but it seems to be huge aspect of the British game as its the only thing that attracts interest (from what I know). Is it really the only reason why the average person will go?

Edited by Dean Murdoch

Dont know why the lack of confidence in the Flames.

Im calling Flames for the cup, with Bertuzzi getting the Conn Smythe. Maybe...

Have you not see them recently?

They are utter fucking gash!

Mark my words, the Chicago Blackhawks will beat us!

And that's not being pessimistic, it's just me being a realist.

Seeing as there are over 750 posts on NHL I thought I would ask this question... Does anyone follow any British Ice hockey?

I followed Romford Raiders for many tears. I know Andy Hannah and Carl Greenhous very well and Jason Rushton not so well, I go along to Edinburgh whenever I can (see mixu there most weeks).

Would be good to get some chat going with anyone else who follows British Ice hockey.

I've been to a few Caps games, but I find it difficult to keep up really. If Glasgow had a team I would have no hesitation in going along to every single game.

What is the Scottish league like. How is it set up? How do the leagues compare to something like the CHL or AHL?

The Scottish setup is shockingly bad. The top level in the UK is worse than both the CHL and AHL, and the Scottish league has about half the quality of the EIHL if you're lucky.

The Scottish setup is shockingly bad. The top level in the UK is worse than both the CHL and AHL, and the Scottish league has about half the quality of the EIHL if you're lucky.

I have always been curious about that. Ive always wondered if I would make a team if I came over there. Most of the guys I know feel that they walk into a British team no problem, but I always suspected the league was a bit better than that. I imagine the Scottish league would be about the equivalent to provincial junior A in Canada, which is the level below the CHL.

Where do most British players play their hockey as a kid? Like is minor hockey an entity at all?

I have always been curious about that. Ive always wondered if I would make a team if I came over there. Most of the guys I know feel that they walk into a British team no problem, but I always suspected the league was a bit better than that. I imagine the Scottish league would be about the equivalent to provincial junior A in Canada, which is the level below the CHL.

Where do most British players play their hockey as a kid? Like is minor hockey an entity at all?

Where are you from?

There are a fair amount of youth hockey teams for young players to get involved with, but it's not a cheap or easy commitment to make, and most players probably come from families involved in the sport.

How good are these guys? There are a number of players in the British league who've played in the AHL or CHL, it's probably about the same standard as SPHL or AAHA over there. I'm certain there was a guy drafted from the Scottish leagues to the NHL a few years ago, albeit a very low pick. I think he was from the Paisley Pirates.

Been watching the Devils and some of the Caps game due to 30 minute gap between face-off times. Good stuff. 18 seconds for Rangers to take a penalty. Carolina lasted a whole 37 seconds (too many men)

Missed the Devils 2nd goal while Rangers were going 3-1 up at Washington with 2 quick goals but Caps pulled it back to 2-3 just before the 2nd finished.

Impressed with Devils so far compared to their fairly miserable showing before the play-offs. Moving faster, shooting quicker, fore-checking well. Early days but really thought 'Canes would take Devils right from the off. Ward is keeping them in it tonight. Woah belter, 3-0 Elias. Whole game looks like a Devils powerplay! :thumsup2

Edited by RWB

Pretty happy with the first two periods for us tonight but anything can still happen. If Philly manage to pull one back it's suddenly very tight again so we need to go for another goal early in the third. We were starting to lose control a little in the last 8 minutes or so of the 2nd period so hopefully that isn't carried into the third.

Only got up for the third last night, missed all the goals and penalties but the Canucks were extremely tight at the back, something which has been missing during the regular season, helped of course by Luongo hitting top form at just the right time.

Does anyone know of any youtube channels similar to this one for their respective teams? Highlights and interviews in HD which is far better than that which the NHL network or ESPN360 provides.