N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I didnt really realize how far apart LA and Anaheim were, and how committed Ducks and Kings fans were to their team.

I think we generally are ignorant of southern teams. While most of the teams are pretty good on the ice, we will always perceive the fans as not caring that much. I think that this will continue until we see teams return to Winnipeg and Quebec, and another team in Ontario. People will be ignorant of the sun belt while there are teams in bad markets when they could be in Canada.

I can think of a number of franchises that can be and should be moved: Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, Carolina, and one of the New York teams (probably New Jersey). The reality is that there are too many teams for a relatively small market sport. The amount of players playing hockey in North America is nowhere near that of Baseball or Football, and yet there are the same amount of professional teams. The talent pool in the NHL is a joke, and the hockey is generally not that good. In the NHL's attempt to gain support and viewers for the sport around America, they are beginning to lose traditional fans in Canada. While Bettman remains a polarizing and debatable figure in the NHL, it is undeniable that he has done little or nothing to help the sport in Canada. The post lock out NHL started well, but is increasingly disappointing.

It's also the population. LA has 3.8 million people, Orange County has ~3 milllion people, too. I mean, with amount of people, surely you can get 16,000 people to go to a hockey game. :lol: Even when the Ducks and Kings are poor, there is going to be at least 15,000 people there. Which is not outstanding, as isn't going to match the commitment of Canadian fans, but obviously other "sunshine" teams are doing a whole lot worse even with fairly competent performances. (Phoenix, Columbus)

Edit: Also, our ticket prices are way below other teams. I pay $12/game. You can get ice level seats for just around $100 if you are lucky. And we have free programs!

New Jersey's main problem is the location of their arena. It's in a very dodgy area apparently, and just isn't that attractive of a place to go see hockey.

I think the talent pool is probably a bit diluted, but I don't think it's too bad. But I honestly don't think dropping two or three teams would even help. The only way the NHL is going to have a truly elite league is with 12-20 teams, but the NHL is a business and at this point it's not going to happen. For that reason, I think the league should pretty much stay as it is. I think that eventually we see two more Canadian teams. Phoenix, Atlanta, and Nashville are the three teams that have the shakiest future.

I'm curious to what brought all this talk on recently, though. It seems an extremely hot issue right now, and every seems convinced that the Coyotes are on the move. I think the NHL has unfortunately evolved to a less physical game, but at the same time, it's pretty entertaining, and easily the most exciting professional sport in America.

Traditional Canadian fans that are tired of today's game... Well, that happens with everything, doesn't it? No matter what you're talking about, there's always a committed group that will say "it's not what it used to be." And it's not at all impossible to fix, but at this point the NHL is going to stay for the most part the way it is. I really don't think I'm being cynical there.

Edit: Yeah, so we've got 3 games over the next 12 days. Bloody bored.

Edited by kyle*

Watched Devils 3-0 win versus a poor Rangers team. Could have been more with one off the bar on a shorthanded breakaway and a couple of good saves from Lolqvist as I've seen him named. How childish. :D He could have done a little better with the first goal I thought.

Devils could have been better especially in the first but did enough as Rangers ran out of steam. They're in free-fall it seems. So many mistakes and lack of dig. One shot off the post was about it apart from Orr flattening Rupp with a right hook.

After the Islanders tomorrow it's the Bruins and Sharks at home this week. Something tells me those will be slightly more challenging. :rolleyes: Devils still need to cut out some of the penalties and up their game at times. Harsh for a team with a 9-2 record just now but they've been slogging through home games lately.

10hockey.600.jpg

:huh:

Are you questioning the location? New Jersey is more or less a suburb of NYC, therefore considered a New York team (in my books anyway). Or the choice? The devils get shite attendance despite being one of the better teams in the league. They have a new rink but it is located in a greasy area.

other "sunshine" teams are doing a whole lot worse even with fairly competent performances. (Phoenix, Columbus)

Edit: Also, our ticket prices are way below other teams. I pay $12/game. You can get ice level seats for just around $100 if you are lucky. And we have free programs!

I'm curious to what brought all this talk on recently, though. It seems an extremely hot issue right now, and every seems convinced that the Coyotes are on the move. I think the NHL has unfortunately evolved to a less physical game, but at the same time, it's pretty entertaining, and easily the most exciting professional sport in America.

Columbus' poor attendance always amazes me as it is pretty far north. Columbus is only about 8 hours drive from Toronto. I always figured that would be a hockey area, but I guess not. I would love to see Nash in action if I was able to. Rumours floating around Toronto is that he will be hotly pursued after next year when I believe he is a free agent.

Those ticket prices are incredible. I believe the lowest Leafs ticket is about $50... if you can get one. After our horrific previous few seasons there have been a total of 4 season tickets not renewed. There is a theoretical 'waiting list' however like most other tough to get sports tickets, the only way to get a seat is through scalpers.

I think the Coyotes talk is due to the fact that they have a massive operating loss over the past year or so. Jim Balsillie of the Blackberry company has been trying to bring a team to Hamilton for a few years now, starting with his 'purchase' of Nashville which was blocked by the NHL. It has slowly been leaked out that the NHL loaned money to the Nashville ownership to keep the team in Tennessee - apparently violating the league charter.

It would seem that the regular season is less physical, but the playoffs always bring a return to hard hitting and fast paced play (although games are usually pretty fast paced anyway). Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the shoot-out? Sorry to inundate you with hockey questions on a football website, its just interesting to hear opinions on hockey from people who arent from Canada. I really cant be arsed to join a hockey website as my everyday life is saturated with it on the tv, radio etc anyway.

It would seem that the regular season is less physical, but the playoffs always bring a return to hard hitting and fast paced play (although games are usually pretty fast paced anyway). Out of curiosity, what is your opinion on the shoot-out? Sorry to inundate you with hockey questions on a football website, its just interesting to hear opinions on hockey from people who arent from Canada. I really cant be arsed to join a hockey website as my everyday life is saturated with it on the tv, radio etc anyway.

In my mind:

Golden Goal > Draw > Shootout

The shootout is such a gimmick. But it's such an American thing. Americans hate draws and low-scoring games. The changes in the NHL that have made the game go against those two things are business moves to attract fans here. It's exciting to see a shootout live if your team is involved, but it's also really annoying to drop a point as a result of the skills competition.

But a winning goal in overtime is a million times as exciting as a winning shootout goal or save.

I honestly can't stand most hockey boards. I get most of my news from the Ducks' blog, which is surprisingly good. Most Canadian blogs... Oh my GOD the senseless drivel. :o

Wow, a blow out win for the Sharks in Boston. Didn't see that coming - Boston's offence is frighteningly aggressive and quick. They were ripping the Sharks to shreds in transition, but their defence couldn't handle Patrick Marleau all night.

It was a brilliant game, for anyone who followed my advice. Some of the hardest hits you'll see all year. And Big Joe, oh gosh, how good is Big Joe?

Wow, a blow out win for the Sharks in Boston. Didn't see that coming - Boston's offence is frighteningly aggressive and quick. They were ripping the Sharks to shreds in transition, but their defence couldn't handle Patrick Marleau all night.

It was a brilliant game, for anyone who followed my advice. Some of the hardest hits you'll see all year. And Big Joe, oh gosh, how good is Big Joe?

Only managed to watch the 1st period. It was a 3.20am shot the day before watching the Devils so struggled. After a Devils match I sometimes tune into WFAN on my internet radio for post match chat! Bit tired lately.

Aye, looked a good match though. Mainly about skill and skating when I saw it compaired to Devils toss it in and forecheck style.

Just hope Devils cope well with both of them at the end of the week. Beat Bruins in OT the other week after being 2-0 down. Great fightback that night. Probably more of the same needed.

The feeds are great aren't they? Pretty much TV quality (on my 20" monitor anyway). I sat one night with 5 matches on screen at once for a wee while just to see what I was missing! Have to say the regularity of Papa John's pizza ads were doing my head in for a month or so over the holiday period.

I guess you'll be watching a few more Sharks' matches this week while they're in the east?

Only managed to watch the 1st period. It was a 3.20am shot the day before watching the Devils so struggled. After a Devils match I sometimes tune into WFAN on my internet radio for post match chat! Bit tired lately.

Aye, looked a good match though. Mainly about skill and skating when I saw it compaired to Devils toss it in and forecheck style.

Just hope Devils cope well with both of them at the end of the week. Beat Bruins in OT the other week after being 2-0 down. Great fightback that night. Probably more of the same needed.

The feeds are great aren't they? Pretty much TV quality (on my 20" monitor anyway). I sat one night with 5 matches on screen at once for a wee while just to see what I was missing! Have to say the regularity of Papa John's pizza ads were doing my head in for a month or so over the holiday period.

I guess you'll be watching a few more Sharks' matches this week while they're in the east?

Another one tonight against the Penguins. Quite a tricky wee run they are on at the moment. I reckon they'll be shattered after the tempo of last night's game and playing a forward down virtually all night.

Are you questioning the location? New Jersey is more or less a suburb of NYC, therefore considered a New York team (in my books anyway). Or the choice? The devils get shite attendance despite being one of the better teams in the league. They have a new rink but it is located in a greasy area.

The location. Saying NJ is more or less a suburb of NYC is like saying Scotland is more or less a suburb of Newcastle. Saying that NJ is in NY is like saying Scotland is in England. It is completely wrong. p.s. there is actually a 3rd NY team - Buffalo.

Edited by bluetooner

The location. Saying NJ is more or less a suburb of NYC is like saying Scotland is more or less a suburb of Newcastle. Saying that NJ is in NY is like saying Scotland is in England. It is completely wrong. p.s. there is actually a 3rd NY team - Buffalo.

It might be worth pointing out that New Jersey is actually a whole different state - literally and figuratively - to New York City.

Another one tonight against the Penguins. Quite a tricky wee run they are on at the moment. I reckon they'll be shattered after the tempo of last night's game and playing a forward down virtually all night.

Won't be able to catch the game, but I have to say I'm not expecting much.

I really cannot see Therrien seeing out the rest of the season in Pittsburgh, and as fickle as it may seem a change may be for the best.

You can try and pinpoint why we're having a poor year but there's not really any excuses, every single game something different goes wrong.

If we make the playoffs it will be a great achievement.

Edited by Zanetti

It might be worth pointing out that New Jersey is actually a whole different state - literally and figuratively - to New York City.

Im glad im not the only one that was shocked at him including the state of NJ into the state of NY.

Edited by bluetooner

Another iffy home performance so far for Devils. 1-1 v Islanders end of 1st and now 2-1 down in the 2nd after almost one way traffic for Devils. Just caught last few seconds of Sharks-Penguins and it was mentioned how good a game it is with no penalties. Rangers have found something to be 2-2 with Capitals.

Surely you cant compare the Devils to the Sabres. Buffalo is 6+ hours from NYC. Newark is a about 10 km from downtown NYC. I would say it is comparable to saying paisley is a suburb of glasgow. Both New York football teams play in New Jersey.

Comparably, Buffalo get about 3000 more people in attendance than the Devils, which is saying alot since Buffalo (as a city) doesnt really have a whole lot going for it currently. The Devils and the Islanders are both in the bottom ten in terms of attendance. Perhaps 3 teams is too many for that area, not to mention New York sucks and doesnt deserve that many teams anyway.

Surely you cant compare the Devils to the Sabres. Buffalo is 6+ hours from NYC. Newark is a about 10 km from downtown NYC. I would say it is comparable to saying paisley is a suburb of glasgow. Both New York football teams play in New Jersey.

Comparably, Buffalo get about 3000 more people in attendance than the Devils, which is saying alot since Buffalo (as a city) doesnt really have a whole lot going for it currently. The Devils and the Islanders are both in the bottom ten in terms of attendance. Perhaps 3 teams is too many for that area, not to mention New York sucks and doesnt deserve that many teams anyway.

Buffalo is in NY

New Jersey is in NJ

NY RAngers are in NYC (Manhattan)

NY Islanders is in Long Island - not NYC.

Whether or not there are too many teams around NJ/NYC is completely irrelevant to the fact that NJ is NOT a NYC team.

FWIW- New Jersey will also lose out on fans to Philadelphia. If you had said there are probably too many teams in the NY/NJ/PA area of the US - you may well have a point. However what you said was blatantly incorrect.

Wasn't expecting that win last night, but you won't hear me complaining! :o:D

I've yet to check out the highlights but that surely must be a huge confidence boost for the team.

Go Penguins...

Well, a penalty shoot out give the losers a share of the spoils, but the Penguins played pretty well all things considering.. It was a good game, but the Sharks were flat after the pounding they gave and took from the Bruins the night before. Crosby, as per usual, was Pittsburgh's main threat, but in all honesty, given a regular rest I'd take the Sharks to win comfortably. It was one of those odd games where you can hear the players making game calls.

No action was taken concerning Phaneuf's blatant elbow to Ebbett.

Ebbett had his head down, but Phaneuf clearly raises his elbow. It's illegal, and if a player like Pronger or Avery did it, it would have definitely been a suspension.

Absolutely ridiculous that he gets away with this. I wish we had a GM that would call the league out on this shit. Calgary announcers were (surprisingly) defending the no call. The third replay really shows that Phaneuf raises his elbow to the face of Ebbett right before the hit instead of hitting him legally with the shoulder.

Good on Ryan and Pronger for stepping in after that. Phaneuf heard boos all night after that one.

Edited by kyle*