N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

Again, it's something that is sort of futile to talk about concerning American sports, because our crowds are nothing like crowds in Europe. I just don't like hearing so much crap about my team when we're not really a guilty party.

For those curious, some NHL attendance numbers...

1. Chicago (22,560) *Attribute this to the Winter Classic; Montreal is always number one in attendance because of their arena size.

2. Montreal (21,273)

3. Detroit (19,274)

16. Pittsburgh (16,895)

17. Anaheim (16,886)

26. Phoenix (14,733)

27. Nashville (14,544)

28. Columbus (14,533)

29. Atlanta (14,417) (77% of arena)

30. New York Islanders (13,693) (84% of arena)

6th is not bad :D

6th is not bad :D

Most Canadian teams could compete with Montreal if their arenas were big enough. Toronto in my mind has the most faithful following and could easily fill a 20,000+ seat arena every night regardless of their record.

Also, those numbers are based on tickets sold, not people that go to the game. The year following Anaheim's cup win, every game was "sold out," but there were always a hundred or so seats visible. I'm not sure what it's like over there with tickets for you guys, but here people buy season tickets for big teams only to resell them.

Capitalists. <_<

1. Chicago (22,560) *Attribute this to the Winter Classic; Montreal is always number one in attendance because of their arena size.

2. Montreal (21,273)

3. Detroit (19,274)

16. Pittsburgh (16,895)

17. Anaheim (16,886)

26. Phoenix (14,733)

27. Nashville (14,544)

28. Columbus (14,533)

29. Atlanta (14,417) (77% of arena)

30. New York Islanders (13,693) (84% of arena)

The Bell Centre would have to be probably the best for atmosphere in the NHL or thereabouts. :)

Good win the other day for us in Ottawa, a team we normally struggle to win against so bring on Atlanta on Tuesday!

Blackhawks had 6 men on the ice twice last night. No calls. Also, a Blackhawks defender CLEARLY pushed the net off as a Selanne shot hit the post and might have bounced in. Nothing called; play wasn't even reviewed.

And random:

"I see too many kids going the wrong way. They don't have the respect or the know-how to treat the sport — even Sidney Crosby. You see him bitching, whining and crying. He's supposed to be the poster boy of our league and yet every time he gets hit, he's grimacing and complaining to the referees. Veterans teach the kids the right way to play."

--Jeromy Roenick

Blackhawks had 6 men on the ice twice last night. No calls. Also, a Blackhawks defender CLEARLY pushed the net off as a Selanne shot hit the post and might have bounced in. Nothing called; play wasn't even reviewed.

And random:

"I see too many kids going the wrong way. They don't have the respect or the know-how to treat the sport — even Sidney Crosby. You see him bitching, whining and crying. He's supposed to be the poster boy of our league and yet every time he gets hit, he's grimacing and complaining to the referees. Veterans teach the kids the right way to play."

--Jeromy Roenick

Ah Roenick. Always good for a quote or eight.

His Sharks are going well - two games since the break, two wins, five goals, two shutouts.

Here's hoping the Devils find some home form on Monday night. Been frustrating to see them falter against Kings and Caps after so much good work 'on the road'. Perfect team to lash back against in Rangers that let in 10 in Dallas. Most recent wins of 8-5 and 4-2 v NYR show they are fragile and slipping off the pace. I expect this will be a bruising match.

White is a doubt for Devils which isn't good after he missed the defeat the other night. At least Avery isn't playing for 'them' yet.

Does everyone watch their teams live off the links on atdhe ? So many late nights for me the last couple of months.

Does everyone watch their teams live off the links on atdhe ? So many late nights for me the last couple of months.

I do now... cheers for that. <_<:P

Actually, I think that's where I watched the NFL playoffs.

The Sharks aren't playing tonight, but they play Boston on Tuesday, so I'll tune in for that. And I might as well watch the Warrriors game tonight.

Edited by Jim Pansy

Flyers beat Atlanta tonight 3-2, caught the last 5 minutes and was quite an exciting end to the game. Also good to see that Carter is still scoring goals by the bucketload, and that my amazing luck for PA sports teams is continueing (at least in important sports)

The Bell Centre would have to be probably the best for atmosphere in the NHL or thereabouts. :)

Breaks my heart to agree with that statement. Ive been to a couple Leafs games in Mount Royal and they have been incredible. It is well documented that Toronto have priced out the actual fans, and that having Leafs season tickets is more of a status symbol than anything else. I generally feel out of place at the games wearing my jersey amongst all the armani three pieces. However the atmosphere in the shitty seats at the ACC can be pretty awesome. When Toronto hosted a World U20 pre tournament friendly (Canada vs. Sweden) in December we got a glimpse of what the atmosphere in the old days was like. Tickets were $20 with about 17000 in attendance - most of which were young people (not senior citizens) wearing actual canada gear and not business suits. In the old fashion there was alot of loud heckling and chanting, and then a number of fights in the concourse after the game. I remember when I was a kid it was always like that at the Gardens.

As a side note to a previous post, the Leafs could sell out 50,000 seats regardless of how shit we are. This is why southern ontario needs another team.

Anaheim fan... how would LA cope with the loss of either the Ducks or Kings? Despite the size of LA, I have never understood the reasoning behind two teams in Cali. In Toronto it is often discussed how to save the nhl and one of the key topics is getting rid of alot of the southern teams, and not relocating them - ie reducing the amount of teams.

Anaheim fan... how would LA cope with the loss of either the Ducks or Kings? Despite the size of LA, I have never understood the reasoning behind two teams in Cali. In Toronto it is often discussed how to save the nhl and one of the key topics is getting rid of alot of the southern teams, and not relocating them - ie reducing the amount of teams.

There are better teams to move I think. Neither the Ducks or the Kings are in poor financial condition, and both fill their arenas to at least 90% capacity every night. If you remove one of them, you lose all of those fans, though. A true Ducks fan will never be a Kings fan and vice versa.

There is a bit of distance between the two, though. 35 miles may not seem a lot, but it's the distance between LA and Orange County, two major areas of population. I drive 100 miles to get to the games, which takes about two hours. But the 35 extra miles when I have to go to LA for the game can add on another two hours. They really are two different cities despite their proximity.

If you're going to scrap/move teams, I'd say go for:

1. Phoenix

2. Tampa Bay / Florida

3. Carolina

4. Nashville

5. New York Islanders

But I honestly don't see Anaheim or LA being moved or scrapped anytime. LA has more of a history than us, but we have a solid franchise going, an arena just built in 1993, and... Uh... Yeah. We're still the only arena in the NHL with palm trees out front!

I don't want to call Northern fans ignorant, but the recent criticism of all "sunshine" teams is. The teams out here aren't as terrible as they think. I've been to four arenas, and Anaheim lags behind none of them in terms of atmosphere, the arena, and the management.

I just don't want my Ducks to ever move. I'd be gutted and never watch hockey again. :(

Edited by kyle*

There are better teams to move I think. Neither the Ducks or the Kings are in poor financial condition, and both fill their arenas to at least 90% capacity every night. If you remove one of them, you lose all of those fans, though. A true Ducks fan will never be a Kings fan and vice versa.

There is a bit of distance between the two, though. 35 miles may not seem a lot, but it's the distance between LA and Orange County, two major areas of population. I drive 100 miles to get to the games, which takes about two hours. But the 35 extra miles when I have to go to LA for the game can add on another two hours. They really are two different cities despite their proximity.

If you're going to scrap/move teams, I'd say go for:

1. Phoenix

2. Tampa Bay / Florida

3. Carolina

4. Nashville

5. New York Islanders

But I honestly don't see Anaheim or LA being moved or scrapped anytime. LA has more of a history than us, but we have a solid franchise going, an arena just built in 1993, and... Uh... Yeah. We're still the only arena in the NHL with palm trees out front!

I don't want to call Northern fans ignorant, but the recent criticism of all "sunshine" teams is. The teams out here aren't as terrible as they think. I've been to four arenas, and Anaheim lags behind none of them in terms of atmosphere, the arena, and the management.

I just don't want my Ducks to ever move. I'd be gutted and never watch hockey again. :(

I didnt really realize how far apart LA and Anaheim were, and how committed Ducks and Kings fans were to their team.

I think we generally are ignorant of southern teams. While most of the teams are pretty good on the ice, we will always perceive the fans as not caring that much. I think that this will continue until we see teams return to Winnipeg and Quebec, and another team in Ontario. People will be ignorant of the sun belt while there are teams in bad markets when they could be in Canada.

I can think of a number of franchises that can be and should be moved: Phoenix, Nashville, Atlanta, Columbus, Florida, Carolina, and one of the New York teams (probably New Jersey). The reality is that there are too many teams for a relatively small market sport. The amount of players playing hockey in North America is nowhere near that of Baseball or Football, and yet there are the same amount of professional teams. The talent pool in the NHL is a joke, and the hockey is generally not that good. In the NHL's attempt to gain support and viewers for the sport around America, they are beginning to lose traditional fans in Canada. While Bettman remains a polarizing and debatable figure in the NHL, it is undeniable that he has done little or nothing to help the sport in Canada. The post lock out NHL started well, but is increasingly disappointing.