N H L Returns: Official Ice hockey thread

Savage Henry

I'm still watching last night's Avalanche game and they've only mentioned that Quenneville's resigned, so I don't know anything else.

Toews and Kane aren't really top players anymore. Maybe Kane with some retained. They both have 10.5 million cap hits this year and next, and given the seemingly hilarious Seth Jones contract kicks in next year I'd imagine Chicago would be quite happy with the opportunity to get rid of that a year early. 

2 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Toews and Kane now. The tide is turning very quickly for them, especially Toews given his support of Bowman.

Firing GMs and coaches is one thing, but firing your captain and an alternate, who still happen to be top players quite another.

If they are complicit will they be punted by the league? Even if not their trade value is surely zero as no one will take them after this.

No they won't, there are sports players who have done far worse who still play. I'd be surprised to see them really affected. I also doubt they would be traded either despite the cap issues (or rather in spite of, considering how shit their cap hits are).

I personally feel unless more specific info about how informed the squad was, it's too nebulous a situation to react towards the players in the same decisive way as with management and executives. Regardless of how I or the rest of the hockey fandom feel about the players involved, I feel like hockey culture inside the locker rooms need to be looked at severely in the wake of this.

On 28/10/2021 at 01:00, RossBFaeDundee said:

With this news break, I fear there will be more than one instance of NHL clubs neglecting serious crimes like these.

Not even 24 hours and we have more. I fear that the floodgates have opened.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/penguins-face-lawsuit-former-minors-coach-accused-sexual-assault/

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Not sure I can entirely agree there. Both solid top 50 players in the league, Kane maybe even and top 20 (goaltenders excluded).

Toews didn't play last season and has 2 points in 7 games so far this year. Kane's marginally better but he might be top 50 at a push.

11 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Toews didn't play last season and has 2 points in 7 games so far this year. Kane's marginally better but he might be top 50 at a push.

Yeah a fair point, but Kucherov has played something like 20 games in the last 2 seasons and would still be a top 10.

1 hour ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Yeah a fair point, but Kucherov has played something like 20 games in the last 2 seasons and would still be a top 10.

Yeah Kucherov was "injured" before popping up with nearly 1.5 points per game in the playoffs, he's fine

I reckon it's a moot point anyway because I can't see any team trying to acquire either of them, and I can't see either Toews or Kane being very motivated if they leave Chicago under these circumstances.

Dick move by Premier last night. Requesting a blackout of the Ducks v Habs game on NHL TV but not showing the game themselves.

I know Montreal are shite this season, but I was going to watch last night.. If Premier had no intention of showing it then asking for the stream to be blocked in the UK was an absolute dick move. It was shithousery of Sean Avery proportions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2022 at 18:18, philpy said:

Penguins 3-0 up on the sharks after 5 minutes! Live on freesports

Was some game. Fair fcks to the Sharks, made it a very nervy ending. Made a few bob on Karlsson anytime this season. 

Will he staying up for the Sharks-Red Wings game at 12.30.