Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just saw the Konesgeigg motor on Top Gear on the Dave channel.

I turned down an offer to make those as it meant moving to Derby. What the hell was I thinking?!

Fastest car Top Gear has tested apparently.

Edit:- Fastest on the runway anyway. 10th of a second off the top of the racetrack board.

Edited by Andy.C

Guest The Phoenix

Petty doesn't really do this justice.........

My sister has just phoned to say my niece has got bacterial meningitis. :(

In hospital and receiving antibiotics.

Kinda puts pathetic PTTGOYNs into perspective.

sorry to hear about that. Occasionally you notice things like that. Similar to how i felt at college when describing his worst weekend ever as one where he won money on the lottery, bought something which he couldn't use on his pc and was left with £1. Sometimes things such as your put life into perspective as you say.

That does indeed put this thread into perspective. :( Best wishes.

Guest The Phoenix
That does indeed put this thread into perspective. :( Best wishes.

Cheers mate.

The good news is that all the signs are that the treatment has been started early enough and a 100% recovery is anticipated.

The difference between that and the other end of the spectrum (i.e. death) doesn't bear thinking about.

Thank God they contacted the hospital as soon as the headaches and stiffness in the limbs started.

Saw this and thought of you and this thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7615814.stm

Norway has an 99% breastfeeding uptake and a total ban on formula being advertised. Compared to only 26.6% in Scotland. I didn't realise how low it was.

Aye. I see they're quoting an increase from 26.6% to 33.3% in the next three years. Increases are good. Lip service is not. I'm afraid I'll believe it when I see it and look forward to being proved wrong. :( To improve breastfeeding rates they're going to have to provide better information, more support and seriously do something about the state of affairs within the NHS.

We have a ban here too on the advertising of infant formula to parents/general public/however they word it. However, it *can* be marketed to Health Professionals and the formula companies use the usual tricks through their reps - free gifts, personal visits, etc to keep their companies at the fore.

*Follow on milks*, made for *hungrier babies* [sic] from six months by the same companies are the products we see advertised - and guess what? The packaging for these milks is almost identical to that of the infant formula which they aren't legally allowed to advertise. Clever, huh? <_< In actual fact, evidence doesn't show that there is real benefit to giving babies the follow on milks. There is no real *need* for these milks other than as a marketing ploy to get around being unable to advertise their products otherwise. Some of the adverts shown on TV for these milks have had to be withdrawn as they have been proven to be advertising the infant formula milks. However, they tread such a fine line that the manufacturers often get away with it. :angry: They're not really out to do the best for babies out of kindness of their hearts. They're a business out to make as much money as possible from their target market. Whatever claims they may make on the tin/through advertising and no matter how much "better" they think their products are getting, the fact is that formula milks are made from a substance meant for baby cows, modified and added to in a factory and stored in a tin. It isn't a living, changing, human milk. It's never going to be the same. It's never going to even come close to a milk that can adapt according to the needs of it's consumer and to the environment in which it is being drunk. That's just the way it is.

This is the right thread for this. It REALLY DOES get on my nerves. :angry::angry::angry:

Aye. I see they're quoting an increase from 26.6% to 33.3% in the next three years. Increases are good. Lip service is not. I'm afraid I'll believe it when I see it and look forward to being proved wrong. :( To improve breastfeeding rates they're going to have to provide better information, more support and seriously do something about the state of affairs within the NHS.

We have a ban here too on the advertising of infant formula to parents/general public/however they word it. However, it *can* be marketed to Health Professionals and the formula companies use the usual tricks through their reps - free gifts, personal visits, etc to keep their companies at the fore.

*Follow on milks*, made for *hungrier babies* [sic] from six months by the same companies are the products we see advertised - and guess what? The packaging for these milks is almost identical to that of the infant formula which they aren't legally allowed to advertise. Clever, huh? <_< In actual fact, evidence doesn't show that there is real benefit to giving babies the follow on milks. There is no real *need* for these milks other than as a marketing ploy to get around being unable to advertise their products otherwise. Some of the adverts shown on TV for these milks have had to be withdrawn as they have been proven to be advertising the infant formula milks. However, they tread such a fine line that the manufacturers often get away with it. :angry: They're not really out to do the best for babies out of kindness of their hearts. They're a business out to make as much money as possible from their target market. Whatever claims they may make on the tin/through advertising and no matter how much "better" they think their products are getting, the fact is that formula milks are made from a substance meant for baby cows, modified and added to in a factory and stored in a tin. It isn't a living, changing, human milk. It's never going to be the same. It's never going to even come close to a milk that can adapt according to the needs of it's consumer and to the environment in which it is being drunk. That's just the way it is.

This is the right thread for this. It REALLY DOES get on my nerves. :angry::angry::angry:

Really? I didn't know that as I just saw it all as formula :huh:

Really? I didn't know that as I just saw it all as formula :huh:

Aye, next time you're in a supermarket or Boots or somewhere have a quick look. If you look at one specific brand you'll see that one's infant formula from birth, the other tin says follow-on milk for 6 months +. There'll be all sorts of other products too - similarly labelled, naturally. Of course, these are for when mothers can't [sic] breastfeed their babies because they're just too hungry and need something more. Of course, that's why breastfeeding died out centuries ago. Because women's bodies aren't adequate or clever enough to feed their babies once that initial 8-10 months inside has passed. :rolleyes::unsure: Honestly, the messages passed on to society by these companies are unreal! :( The worst of it is that people don't even see it's happening. Instead they just genuinely believe that breastmilk is second rate because the baby, not the adult, has control over what the baby is eating. A bit like they're expected to do later in life then really? - Regulate their own eating.

Edited by HGG