Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

One of my great-grandfathers was the illegitimate son of the Duke of Buccleuch. His mother was in service with the family and there's no father listed on his birth certificate, so...

(Or so the family legend goes. Far more likely it was the stable-boy or the like.)

4 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I dare say a lot of people alongside wanting to attach themselves to rich historical European ancestry are also trying to distance themselves from those 250 years or so of history that includes attempting to wipe out the natives and the whole slave ownership aspect. 

Given they’re still of the general mindset that smallpox blankets would be great presents, and pushing to change “slaves” to “economic migrants” in textbooks (true action in Texas), I wouldn’t limit the distancing to the past…

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

One of my great-grandfathers was the illegitimate son of the Duke of Buccleuch. His mother was in service with the family and there's no father listed on his birth certificate, so...

(Or so the family legend goes. Far more likely it was the stable-boy or the like.)

I thought there were Duke of Argylls in your genes.. :P

Decided to sign up myself and the missus to MyLimitless at the Odeon since it's only £14.99 a month and the standard ticket price at Odeon Luxe in Dundee is £18.

Sort it for myself after about 3-4 tries because their website is utter shite.

Tried to set it up for the missus and despite using Firefox, Chrome, Edge on the computer, refreshing my cache and trying on two separate mobile phones - it keeps coming up an error (at different stages but mostly on the payment screen). Tried in excess of 20 times but no joy over the past 24 hours. During these multiple tries, I started an online chat with them who basically firstly said, 'It's working on my laptop.' Then said, 'Ah, that's a known issue.' Then finished with, 'Just keep trying until Monday and if it doesn't work, get back in touch.'

Asked if there was an alternate method of signing up ie, doing it at the cinema, over the phone or even just the live chat guy sorting it out but was told, 'We only accept MyLimitless applications via our online form.'

So basically, I'm paying for a service I won't really use until my missus has hers set-up. Absolute fucking shambles of a service.

On 12/04/2023 at 18:59, TxRover said:

There is a very strong element of weirdness in the American passion to claim to be Irish (or English, or Scottish, or German, or Polish, etc) in some shape or form. Roughly 27.5% of Americans claim “Irish Heritage”, of which less than half can actually prove it (right at 12%). It’s about having a place to claim as your “homeland” outside of America. Americans, as a whole, obsess about the lack of history within the U.S. (250 years, roughly) and like to grab hold of something larger/longer (steady there).

Heritage festivals are a huge business over here, and nothing more so than the so called Renaissance Festivals. Here’s one that just opened near me:

https://www.srfestival.com
Note the Celtic Weekend in a few weeks.

Renaissance Fairs are fucking hilarious. Would thoroughly recommend. Corsets and cavernous cleavage a go-go.

Americans really love playing dress-up for some reason.

39 minutes ago, BTFD said:

Renaissance Fairs are fucking hilarious. Would thoroughly recommend. Corsets and cavernous cleavage a go-go.

Going this weekend, it’s only gonna get hotter, so a nice 22C for the high sounds much better than the upcoming 29-32C weekends! Love the ladies outfits, indeed!

5 hours ago, BTFD said:

You've been around here long enough to know the first rule of P&B. Pics or gtf.

I can't watch a film anymore without noticing all the fake sound effects when people are driving cars.

Anytime someone drives sedately round a corner the tyres have to screech. The same when changing lanes on a motorway.

Anytime a car slowly rolls to a stop, even if it's a seemingly new, high-end motor, the brakes squeal.

It's very subtle but I can't unhear it.

28 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I can't watch a film anymore without noticing all the fake sound effects when people are driving cars.

Anytime someone drives sedately round a corner the tyres have to screech. The same when changing lanes on a motorway.

Anytime a car slowly rolls to a stop, even if it's a seemingly new, high-end motor, the brakes squeal.

It's very subtle but I can't unhear it.

I've got this with punches. Every time someone hits someone no matter where or how hard it's the same Batman style punch noise.

Edited by RuMoore

11 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

I've got this with punches. Every time someone hits someone no matter where or how hard it's the same Batman style punch noise.

Indiana Jones is a classic for this. Sounds like a small tree being snapped in half.

It's part of the fun in that type of movie, but a bit of a nonsense in a film that wants to be taken seriously.