Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

31 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What shops have stopped selling square ham? Because Tesco, Lidl, Morrisons and Aldi still sell ham in said shape.

Sainsbury's and Iceland - the two closest to where I live

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Joe Biden pretending to be Irish. I thought his parents must be Irish the way he goes on.

One set of Great Grandparents born in Ireland in the 1850s, so less Irish than me.

He's more American than you though.

Presumably.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Joe Biden pretending to be Irish. I thought his parents must be Irish the way he goes on.

One set of Great Grandparents born in Ireland in the 1850s, so less Irish than me.

Do you qualify for an Irish passport then? Want to adopt me?

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

When you have a warm and fuzzy "awww, look at the cute little lambs bouncing about the field" moment, only for the farmer to then whizz past on his quad with a trailer of dead ones.

"Things that are delicious" thread for this no? 

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I suppose it makes him a quarter Irish, if you want to consider Irish as an ethnicity. He could also have Scottish blood as a fair number of  Scots were given land in north-east of the island. 

I'm kind of the same as Joe. A quarter Irish from my mother's side, with a wee bit on my father's side, some may have come from Scotland to Ireland, then returned again. 

Jock Tamsun rules probably apply

Edited by Cosmic Joe

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

There is a very strong element of weirdness in the American passion to claim to be Irish (or English, or Scottish, or German, or Polish, etc) in some shape or form. Roughly 27.5% of Americans claim “Irish Heritage”, of which less than half can actually prove it (right at 12%). It’s about having a place to claim as your “homeland” outside of America. Americans, as a whole, obsess about the lack of history within the U.S. (250 years, roughly) and like to grab hold of something larger/longer (steady there).

Heritage festivals are a huge business over here, and nothing more so than the so called Renaissance Festivals. Here’s one that just opened near me:

https://www.srfestival.com
Note the Celtic Weekend in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

There is a very strong element of weirdness in the American passion to claim to be Irish (or English, or Scottish, or German, or Polish, etc) in some shape or form. Roughly 27.5% of Americans claim “Irish Heritage”, of which less than half can actually prove it (right at 12%). It’s about having a place to claim as your “homeland” outside of America. Americans, as a whole, obsess about the lack of history within the U.S. (250 years, roughly) and like to grab hold of something larger/longer (steady there).

Heritage festivals are a huge business over here, and nothing more so than the so called Renaissance Festivals. Here’s one that just opened near me:

I believe that I am 2% Neanderthal as, in all probability, are most of you.  Greetings long lost and distant relatives.

Most people's ancestors lived in shitty wee hovels that they shared with their livestock for warmth rather than being the Duke of Inversneckie.

I get the feeling that going back I'm about 50% Fife miners, 25% Borders sheep thieves and 25% North East ploughmen ultimately.

Fit like ya hoor sir!

13 hours ago, TxRover said:

I dare say a lot of people alongside wanting to attach themselves to rich historical European ancestry are also trying to distance themselves from those 250 years or so of history that includes attempting to wipe out the natives and the whole slave ownership aspect. 

1 hour ago, RuMoore said:

I dare say a lot of people alongside wanting to attach themselves to rich historical European ancestry are also trying to distance themselves from those 250 years or so of history that includes attempting to wipe out the natives and the whole slave ownership aspect. 

Nah they just want to put on a green hat and drink Guinness.

Edited by Swarley
Spelling