Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 23/03/2023 at 08:11, Hedgecutter said:

On the subject of street names, I'd like to nominate generic, irrelevant, inventively bankrupt names in new housing developments.  Elm Place, The Firs, The Rowans, Osprey Heights* etc etc, particularly when there aren't any of those things nearby.  Can't be too hard to name them after something found locally, such as one of the old farms, or the woodland they ripped up to build over.

*there's one of these in Inverurie that I'm really hoping was an in-joke nod to Still Game.

There are Ospreys not too far away.....fully expect to see them return from Africa in the next couple of weeks

17 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Superfluous packaging. Total and unnecessary waste.

20230324_122913.thumb.jpg.71e7e493ddc207e911d071f326cc7394.jpg

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to.

On 24/03/2023 at 19:37, Newbornbairn said:

Cleaner just stole £40 from us :(

OK, I'll ask the P&B Massiv here,

My wife is disabled and I'm away from home a lot so we have a neighbour come in once a week to do a bit of light cleaning. Anyway, I have a dish I put all my loose change in and after about 3 years there was about £80 in it - I counted it with the grandkids a few weeks ago. This afternoon after the cleaner left, I noticed it looked like someone had scooped out a handful of coins. So I checked it - most of the 50p bits were gone and now there's only £38 in there.  Bugger. I'm not going to get the police involved because 1) it's a neighbour, it'll cause bad blood and how do I prove anything, 2) it's only £40. I think I'm just going to tell her we don't need her any more and not to come back. 

Is that reasonable? 

What does your wife think about it all ?

Does the cleaner just come in herself ? …..our office cleaner occasionally took her grandchildren in with her while she was doing the cleaning…..effectively combining her child-minding duties with her work.   Any chance that your cleaner might have a similar arrangement and that her kid is the culprit ? … maybe your cleaner is totally oblivious to the thieving.

On 21/03/2023 at 16:33, Leith Green said:

See also use of "gait" instead of the universally acceptable "gate" - e.g Hermiston Gait

There's a whole bunch of "gaits" on the new development coming into Kirkcaldy. Probably adds a few thousands to the cost of each house even though it doesn't make the area or the new houses more posh.

5 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

There's a whole bunch of "gaits" on the new development coming into Kirkcaldy. Probably adds a few thousands to the cost of each house even though it doesn't make the area or the new houses more posh.

Probably just encouraging them to walk more

On 24/03/2023 at 19:37, Newbornbairn said:

My wife is disabled and I'm away from home a lot so we have a neighbour come in once a week to do a bit of light cleaning. Anyway, I have a dish I put all my loose change in and after about 3 years there was about £80 in it - I counted it with the grandkids a few weeks ago. This afternoon after the cleaner left, I noticed it looked like someone had scooped out a handful of coins. So I checked it - most of the 50p bits were gone and now there's only £38 in there.  Bugger. I'm not going to get the police involved because 1) it's a neighbour, it'll cause bad blood and how do I prove anything, 2) it's only £40. I think I'm just going to tell her we don't need her any more and not to come back. 

Is that reasonable? 

You need to be sure it was her tbh, without being horrible it might have been one of the grandkids, esp as you counted it with them.

However, if you are convinced it was the cleaner, do a wee "sting" operation - put more cash in the dish...........maybe a £5 note hanging over as a tempter?

Buy one of these and point it to the dish, you can adjust settings so its motion sensitive only.

image.png.5f82063a125b5a442f4e345e5aacc0ff.png

I wouldn't be spending £30 to have to bait someone into losing more money if you're already £40 down. Take the loss, take it on the chin and cut the cleaner loose.

As has been said, it's shit but sometimes we need to learn from mistakes.

47 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

You need to be sure it was her tbh, without being horrible it might have been one of the grandkids, esp as you counted it with them.

However, if you are convinced it was the cleaner, do a wee "sting" operation - put more cash in the dish...........maybe a £5 note hanging over as a tempter?.

^^^ works the 10p slider machines at the shows.

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I wouldn't be spending £30 to have to bait someone into losing more money if you're already £40 down. Take the loss, take it on the chin and cut the cleaner loose.

As has been said, it's shit but sometimes we need to learn from mistakes.

See it as an investment, he can also keep an eye on his missus while hes out at work.

Win Win....................😁

On 24/03/2023 at 14:37, Newbornbairn said:

Is that reasonable? 

Quite reasonable, in that you have the concern and you want to low key it since it’s a neighbour…but one thought comes to mind. Taking mainly just the 50p bits is moderately time consuming, and that’s 80 of them to fish out (assuming all fifties). I will concur with others that taking the high value coins only is childlike behavior, so I would be concerned if the coins were kept anywhere the grandkids could get to easily. It’s less than 1.5 lbs of coins and doesn’t take as much space as you’d think.

No, they weren't all mixed up as they'd been counted fairly recently. All the 50ps were together at one side.

I'm as certain as I can be it was the cleaner. I'll just not let her back in. Problem is, the wife is really upset at a cleaner stealing again (similar happened with ones from social services) and she's not going to let anyone in again. 

3 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

No, they weren't all mixed up as they'd been counted fairly recently. All the 50ps were together at one side.

I'm as certain as I can be it was the cleaner. I'll just not let her back in. Problem is, the wife is really upset at a cleaner stealing again (similar happened with ones from social services) and she's not going to let anyone in again. 

Look like someone else will need to do the cleaning. 

Just saying, likes.