Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 minutes ago, Swarley said:

Think we've found the person responsible for editing the league tables on the Beeb website. 

If I was responsible for that the arsecheeks would be left out entirely

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

It screams horrible newbuild estate when you see a group of streets named after trees.

Can also add a seeming aversion to the more normal street/road/avenue kind of terminology...the more Gates, Wynds, Groves, Walks and so on there are the more likely a place is to have been thrown up by a Barratt tribute act in the last 20 years.

One such overpriced negative equity estate I was in near Dyce the other day had Hyde Park, Polo Park, Ash Parade, Beech Manor and Waterton Lawn. 🤢

Silly b*****ds signed up to a deal in which the detached house estate has a factor who sends everyone an extortionate invoice every time a tree falls down or needs any maintenance.  Snow blocking everything though? Not their problem.

89c780c6-4991-4642-b7c3-4fb3b56373a9_text.gif.3c1e742099e206d1aca8794b51719c35.gif

Eta: factors were quite deserving of separate threads to themselves: 1, 2

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Kirkton in Dundee has a strange mix of north of Scotland (Beauly Av, Helmsdale Av), the Lake District (Keswick, Ulverston and Coniston Terrace, Ambleside Terrace and Gardens, Derwent Avenue) and a little Forres enclave (avenue and crescent).

Nae wonder they riot.

There is an area in Erskine with streets called Portsoy, Cullen and Findochty. No street, avenue etc. Just the place names. 

There is a certain elegant appeal to the recent trend of renaming short street sections to annoy people…the street in front of the Russian Embassy getting renamed something about Ukrainian freedom or such. Just dying for some important poli having their address changed to “The Right Honorable Mr. Chapman, 13 Thieving c**t Way…”

14 minutes ago, TxRover said:

There is a certain elegant appeal to the recent trend of renaming short street sections to annoy people…the street in front of the Russian Embassy getting renamed something about Ukrainian freedom or such.

FWIW, I saw this on a Latvian museum across the road from the Russian Embassy in Riga back in August.  Superb trolling.

Screenshot_20230323-130601.thumb.png.ff573c20fffa1b344e153e1d678381b7.png

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

One such overpriced negative equity estate I was in near Dyce the other day had Hyde Park, Polo Park, Ash Parade, Beech Manor and Waterton Lawn. 🤢

Silly b*****ds signed up to a deal in which the detached house estate has a factor who sends everyone an extortionate invoice every time a tree falls down or needs any maintenance.  Snow blocking everything though? Not their problem.

89c780c6-4991-4642-b7c3-4fb3b56373a9_text.gif.3c1e742099e206d1aca8794b51719c35.gif

Eta: factors were quite deserving of separate threads to themselves: 1, 2

Probably the only legitimate name in there is Polo Park,

Polo Park was the former football ground of Stoneywood Juniors between Bucksburn and Dyce, they are now Stoneywood-Parkvale and ground up the hill next to the airport.

5 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Perhaps Cityism too seeing as Elgin have also lost their suffix.  Ayr United just being "Ayr" blows any "maybe it's a space thing?" out of the waters.

It's the inconsistency that's grinding my gears.

Edinburgh also lost their "City". 

But that's because the board are twats. 

20 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

What is the difference between a Street and a Road?

In Edinburgh you have Princes Street with Lothian Road coming off it for example.

A road is usually named after the place it’s going to, historically. London Road, Ferry Road, Biggar Road, Glasgow Road etc are better examples than Lothian Road although technically it sounds ok. 

Cleaner just stole £40 from us :(

OK, I'll ask the P&B Massiv here,

My wife is disabled and I'm away from home a lot so we have a neighbour come in once a week to do a bit of light cleaning. Anyway, I have a dish I put all my loose change in and after about 3 years there was about £80 in it - I counted it with the grandkids a few weeks ago. This afternoon after the cleaner left, I noticed it looked like someone had scooped out a handful of coins. So I checked it - most of the 50p bits were gone and now there's only £38 in there.  Bugger. I'm not going to get the police involved because 1) it's a neighbour, it'll cause bad blood and how do I prove anything, 2) it's only £40. I think I'm just going to tell her we don't need her any more and not to come back. 

Is that reasonable? 

20 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Cleaner just stole £40 from us :(

OK, I'll ask the P&B Massiv here,

My wife is disabled and I'm away from home a lot so we have a neighbour come in once a week to do a bit of light cleaning. Anyway, I have a dish I put all my loose change in and after about 3 years there was about £80 in it - I counted it with the grandkids a few weeks ago. This afternoon after the cleaner left, I noticed it looked like someone had scooped out a handful of coins. So I checked it - most of the 50p bits were gone and now there's only £38 in there.  Bugger. I'm not going to get the police involved because 1) it's a neighbour, it'll cause bad blood and how do I prove anything, 2) it's only £40. I think I'm just going to tell her we don't need her any more and not to come back. 

Is that reasonable? 

Boot in the pie, surely?

Deffo tell them to bolt, I wouldn't be letting anyone back in the house that steals.

I suppose the touchy feely additional action would be to consider whether they're really desperate at the moment, and the temptation was just too much? How long have they cleaned for you, and how well do you know them?

On 23/03/2023 at 07:52, Hedgecutter said:

The BBC dropping the 'City' suffix from Brechin City when all the other clubs retain theirs:

FB_IMG_16795575006462.thumb.jpg.e05d9fddd1f9faedc5ac48b783d3d6d1.jpg

Probably worse is their League 2 table (that can happily fit in "Bonnyrigg Rose") containing "Annan Athletic" and then just "Forfar" 

Be grateful that you've been allowed to keep the hyperlink to your own page on their website.

Fail to get promoted this season and you'll just be plain text with no other info, like formerly-recognised entities such as "East Stirlingshire", "Berwick Rangers", and (shortly) Cowdenbeath.

Edit: just checked and Cowden's page doesn't actually appear to contain any information about Cowdenbeath anyway.

Edited by BTFD

In advance of tomorrow my PTTGOMN is Flower of Scotland being played on the bagpipes means we have to sing it with a wrong note.

The fact that we can't play our national anthem on our national instrument is an utter riddy of an irony, but I just fuckin hate that the "think" in " tae think again" is a semitone higher than it ought to be. It completely changes the character of the song.

I loathe FoS, but wouldn't mind it awfully if we at least played it right. 

Edited by velo army