Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, milton75 said:

RE mispronunciation of place names. It is very slightly diverting/irksome when it happens routinely, e.g. on TV by sports commentators, but even then it doesn't really matter.

In my experience the people that get more exercised about it are losers from small no-mark towns, who still live in said small no-mark towns, who think that anyone else should care in the slightest about the pronunciation of their beloved shithole.
We don't care. Not one jot. If I'm lucky I'll never again have to visit Fallin or Strathaven or whatever. I came here for one day, took a look around, and vowed to avoid the dump in future.

Invariably the same folk who spoof their load when they see said dump appearing on Sean Batty’s weather map.

On 20/03/2023 at 14:00, tamthebam said:

I hate new schemes in Scotland that are given wanky names like "King's View". Edinburgh seem to let them get away with this kind of shite instead of naming roads things like "Rebus Road" "Renton Avenue" "Sean Connery Shtreet" 

I hate new schemes in Scotland that are given wanky names like "King's View". Edinburgh seem to let them get away with this kind of shite instead of naming roads things like "Rebus Road" "Renton Avenue" "Sean Connery Shtreet" 

See also use of "gait" instead of the universally acceptable "gate" - e.g Hermiston Gait

9 hours ago, milton75 said:

RE mispronunciation of place names. It is very slightly diverting/irksome when it happens routinely, e.g. on TV by sports commentators, but even then it doesn't really matter.

In my experience the people that get more exercised about it are losers from small no-mark towns, who still live in said small no-mark towns, who think that anyone else should care in the slightest about the pronunciation of their beloved shithole.
We don't care. Not one jot. If I'm lucky I'll never again have to visit Fallin or Strathaven or whatever. I came here for one day, took a look around, and vowed to avoid the dump in future.

^^^ barred from the Fallin chippy for ordering a mushroom supper

Come to Dunfermline and bask in Leishman Drive.

On 21/03/2023 at 08:49, milton75 said:

We don't care. Not one jot. If I'm lucky I'll never again have to visit Fallin or Strayven or whatever. I came here for one day, took a look around, and vowed to avoid the dump in future.

Get it right ffs.

On 21/03/2023 at 11:25, Cosmic Joe said:

Which shithole do you stay? 

Bishopbriggs these days, and it actually is shit as it turns out.

18 hours ago, BTFD said:

^^^ barred from the Fallin chippy for ordering a mushroom supper

From what I experienced of Fallin, on the one occasion I had to go there, they wouldn't ban me for that. They a) wouldn't know what a mushroom was, and b) would think I was speaking a different language anyway.

14 hours ago, TxRover said:

For amusement:

image.thumb.jpeg.7d04df0e030864c01c2bfbb489f2656c.jpeg

A depressing indictment of how unimaginative and tiresome people are in this country.

15 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Bishopbriggs these days, and it actually is shit as it turns out.

From what I experienced of Fallin, on the one occasion I had to go there, they wouldn't ban me for that. They a) wouldn't know what a mushroom was, and b) would think I was speaking a different language anyway.

A depressing indictment of how unimaginative and tiresome people are in this country.

or how sycophantic our local leaders are. I bet if there were to be data collected on the names regional NHS trusts gave to newly opened hospitals/wings over the past 20 years, the Queen would be associated with the majority of them. 

5 hours ago, milton75 said:

Not as much as you’d think…check out the U.S. list…

Second (10,866)

Third (10,131)

First (9,898)

Fourth (9,190)

Park (8,926)

Fifth (8,186)

Main (7,644)

Sixth (7,283)

Oak (6,946)

Seventh (6,377)

Pine (6,170)

Maple (6,103)

Cedar (5,644)

Eighth (5,524)

Elm (5,233)

View (5,202)

Washington (4,974)

Ninth (4,908)

Lake (4,901)

Hill (4,877)

Or top 10 Russian street names:

Tsentralnaya (Central)

Molodezhnaya (Youth)

Shkolnaya (School)

Sovetskaya (Soviet)

Sadovaya (Garden)

Lesnaya (Forest)

Novaya (New)

Lenina (Lenin)

Mira (Peace)

Naberezhnaya (Embankment)

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Second (10,866)

Third (10,131)

First (9,898)

Fourth (9,190)

Park (8,926)

Fifth (8,186)

Main (7,644)

Sixth (7,283)

Oak (6,946)

Seventh (6,377)

Pine (6,170)

Maple (6,103)

Cedar (5,644)

Eighth (5,524)

Elm (5,233)

View (5,202)

Washington (4,974)

Ninth (4,908)

Lake (4,901)

Hill (4,877)

Or top 10 Russian street names:

Tsentralnaya (Central)

Molodezhnaya (Youth)

Shkolnaya (School)

Sovetskaya (Soviet)

Sadovaya (Garden)

Lesnaya (Forest)

Novaya (New)

Lenina (Lenin)

Mira (Peace)

Naberezhnaya (Embankment)

9 hours ago, coprolite said:

You're easy amused

Indeed. 

Second (10,866)

Third (10,131)

First (9,898)

Fourth (9,190)

Park (8,926)

Fifth (8,186)

Main (7,644)

Sixth (7,283)

Oak (6,946)

Seventh (6,377)

Pine (6,170)

Maple (6,103)

Cedar (5,644)

Eighth (5,524)

Elm (5,233)

View (5,202)

Washington (4,974)

Ninth (4,908)

Lake (4,901)

Hill (4,877)

How the f**k is there so many more 2nd and 3rds than 1sts?

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How the f**k is there so many more 2nd and 3rds than 1sts?

Presumably the 1st Street as the most prestigious gets renamed after one of their gubbins, usually slaveowning and white supremacist heroes. Then they can't replace it because that fucks with the logic of the grid system.