Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Got followed right to my door today by the police when I was on my 50cc scooter. Got a lecture about how I needed to display L plates when riding, made my point that wasn't the case as I passed my driving test on May 2001 and had passed my CBT. I knew I was OK as I had read it on gov.uk but couldn't find the correct page on the website to prove this while he still claimed he was right. Walked in the house and immediately found the info I needed.

Screenshot_20230315-155317_Chrome.jpg

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

The horror of discovering that language evolves by people mishearing words/phrases, never putting any thought into the meaning behind them, and other people changing their usage to follow because they never thought about the meaning either and are terrified that they might have been wrong all along  :shutup

We should all pick a phrase, misuse it as often as possible, and see if we can get it into the public lexicon. I'm going to go with "bite the skin of your teeth". Y'know, because sometimes you end up biting the skin of your teeth with nerves. I'm used to coming across as an idiot anyway, so a wee bit extra for science is no biggie. I could care less.

Low and behold, they were caught flaunting the rules.

33 minutes ago, thomas said:

Got followed right to my door today by the police when I was on my 50cc scooter. Got a lecture about how I needed to display L plates when riding, made my point that wasn't the case as I passed my driving test on May 2001 and had passed my CBT. I knew I was OK as I had read it on gov.uk but couldn't find the correct page on the website to prove this while he still claimed he was right. Walked in the house and immediately found the info I needed.

Screenshot_20230315-155317_Chrome.jpg

tv-shows-scrubs.gif

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Champions League theme starts up

Mrs Mullarkey “what national anthem is that?”

Should have told her it was The Duchy of Grand Fenwick's

One for Peter Sellers and Bernard Cribbins fans.

47 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

On the topic of mispronunciation, a colleague of mine lives in England but her ex and the father of her child lives in Fife. Anyone know where “kur-cal-dee” is? 

It's pronounced "wee-team". 

45 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

On the topic of mispronunciation, a colleague of mine lives in England but her ex and the father of her child lives in Fife. Anyone know where “kur-cal-dee” is? 

I once heard an Englishman refer to "kinkar-deen"

4 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

It's pronounced

kirk.jpg.dddcee6cef87406535db850155357dfc.jpg

cod.jpg.2c293e8910b6076b1eb322888a235c59.jpg

Fonzie-Ayyy-79950717427.jpg.48cd96750be9b199252be8e2a4a40996.jpg

Mispronouncing towns is fine. Everyone's done it at some time; the locals get a laugh out of it, you get to do the "doh, I'm an idiot" thing, sometimes people will show an interest in where you're actually from, or tell you a bit about the place, and generally it's a good time if everyone has a sense of humour about it.

Occasionally you find the odd arsehole who, despite actually living in an area for years, will insist on pronouncing names as they think it should be, as though the local thickos who live there have been getting it wrong the whole time. They can GTF. May they remain unaware of the piss content of their pints.

The new “yeaahhh brexit” blue passports are horrendous. Shit quality compared to the old red ones and now immediately make me stand out as the “look at me I’m from a country full of racists” character in the passport control queue.

Suppose it’s a government ploy to make us too embarrassed to brandish our new blue travel documents at customs, as a way to cut down outward migration.