Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

45 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Oh, that phrase is long lost. Probably as many people think it's "dishwater" as "ditchwater".

It's become a mute point.

A former manager of mine used to say mute point all the time. Had me searching for a new job pretty quickly, infuriating stuff. 

44 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Oh, that phrase is long lost. Probably as many people think it's "dishwater" as "ditchwater".

It's become a mute point.

I think 'dishwater' has replaced 'ditchwater' as the commonly used expression. A good example of language evolution rather than an error IMO.

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've overheard a couple of people say "last but the least" lately, and just heard it used in an advert. I'm old enough now to know that, in five or ten years' time, an entire generation of youngsters will have decided that, to emphasise the final entry on a list is not less important than the others, they'll use a phrase that declares the exact opposite.

I'm wondering if it's an American thing, like the brainless "I could care less" abomination.

We're getting into "the proof is in the pudding" territory. 

Utter nonsense, the right saying is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" which sort of makes sense. 

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think 'dishwater' has replaced 'ditchwater' as the commonly used expression. A good example of language evolution rather than an error IMO.

It depends on whether or not people started saying "dishwater" because they thought it was more relevant to their life than referencing ditches, or if they just misheard it.

They're both perfectly cromulent phrases, but if you think the switch was a conscious decision, you're a more optimistic man than I. Wish I could remember what that feeling was like.

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

We're getting into "the proof is in the pudding" territory. 

Utter nonsense, the right saying is "the proof of the pudding is in the eating" which sort of makes sense. 

Sorry, we've already established that "the pudding is in the proof".

Presumably "proof" is a slang term for a fridge or cupboard. If not, we have the ability to make it so. Perhaps "proof" could be a bin, so the phrase could mean that something good has been fucked up.

This newfound power may be going to my head.

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It depends on whether or not people started saying "dishwater" because they thought it was more relevant to their life than referencing ditches, or if they just misheard it.

They're both perfectly cromulent phrases, but if you think the switch was a conscious decision, you're a more optimistic man than I. Wish I could remember what that feeling was like.

Presumably "proof" is a slang term for a fridge or cupboard. If not, we have the ability to make it so. Perhaps "proof" could be a bin, so the phrase could mean that something good has been fucked up.

Sometimes a butchered phrase is more appropriate to its time. 
I really liked Joe Swash on I’m a celebrity confidently stating that “you should always judge a book by its cover”. Hidden depths are out of fashion, so despite being a blithering idiot, he was still right.

29 minutes ago, BFTD said:

'The pudding is in the Prof' surely?

55 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

A former manager of mine used to say mute point all the time. Had me searching for a new job pretty quickly, infuriating stuff. 

Get off your pedal stool mate, we all make mistakes. 

Has anybody else noticed that “vulnerable” is mutating into “vunrable”? Similarly “substitute “ is now “subtitute” and many words such as “military” which contain an “a” are becoming shortened to “milittry”.

4 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Has anybody else noticed that “vulnerable” is mutating into “vunrable”? Similarly “substitute “ is now “subtitute” and many words such as “military” which contain an “a” are becoming shortened to “milittry”.

Nobody says vegetables properly. 

the missing syllable has turned up in mischievous 

Edited by coprolite
Nobody except Harold Bishop out of neighbours anyway but I think he might be dead

41 minutes ago, GordonD said:

The first 'd' in 'Wednesday' being dropped, making it 'Wensday'

If you Google Wednesday pronunciation  you'll see it pronounced exactly as above.  

Wednesday

[ wenz-dey, -dee ]