Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

15 minutes ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Darvel! After watching chicken boss on a view from a terrace, I hope we stuff them on Monday night, arrogant tossers, ssurprised the owner pie man no popped up yet 

Jealous?

TV adverts from big companies like British Gas and their 'money saving engineers' using a major cost of living crisis to claim they want to help us save money*. And if Tesco wanted us to 'spend less' they'd ditch the Clubcard nonsense and offer those prices to everybody.

* Of course they don't.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Meant to be going out for a drink in Edinburgh tonight completely forgetting that the egg tossing was on today and it'll be full of LADS LADS LADS types out after it.

Jeans and sheux.

12 hours ago, Empty It said:

Meant to be going out for a drink in Edinburgh tonight completely forgetting that the egg tossing was on today and it'll be full of LADS LADS LADS types out after it.

That's trendy pubs in the city centre most of the time surely?

Oh those "jolly rugger fans, much nicer than those horrible football hooligans". Cnuts.

Maybe not a PTTGOYN but...

Out with the Mrs for a few drinks & food in St Andrews yesterday, nothing too fancy but a decent middling restaurant. Not pub grub but not the Old Course Hotel.

The food was good but the service was terrible, which was no surprise to us as sadly it's what we're used to when out for a meal in Scotland. It has actually become a running joke, keeping track of all the examples of poor service when we're out.

Do other P&Bers have the same experience?

We were seated at our table with menus and told someone would be with us in a minute. After being ignored for 10 minutes we asked another waiter who was setting a nearby table if we could order drinks. He took the order and drinks arrived after a few minutes.

The waitress who delivered the drinks turned to walk away without asking if we were ready to order food, so we stopped her and said we'd like to order.

I had a steak but was not given a steak knife. As the waiter went to walk away I again stopped him and asked for a steak knife, to which he replied of course, but then forgot and left me sitting for a few minutes before someone else came by who I asked for the knife. He apologised and brought me one right away.

After finishing the meal we sat with empty plates and glasses for about 15 minutes, before eventually getting a waiter's attention to ask for the bill (clearly nobody was interested in asking us if we wanted dessert or another drink). The bill was brought over right away but we were then left alone again for over 10 minutes without anyone coming over for payment. Eventually we decided to get up and pay on the way out.

Despite the poor service, since the food was good and a couple of the better staff responded quickly when asked I was happy to leave a tenner tip, but the guy taking payment just waited for the card machine to approve then literally said 'thanks' and turned his back on us. 

As said, this experience is pretty typical when we're out. Some might say we're not going to the right places, and no doubt the Old Course will have had better service but that's not the point. Even a pub serving food should treat their customers better than this. It's almost certainly a case of the staff not giving a shit about their job, but it's also very poor from their managers for not getting standards up (they likely don't care either). 

We're not fussy and will have the occasional Wetherspoons grub or a McDonalds, but for a restaurant this is absolute bare minimum stuff.

1 minute ago, Zetterlund said:

Despite the poor service, since the food was good and a couple of the better staff responded quickly when asked I was happy to leave a tenner tip, but the guy taking payment just waited for the card machine to approve then literally said 'thanks' and turned his back on us. 

There are some countries that staff would chase you down the street for leaving a shitey tip

16 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Out with the Mrs for a few drinks & food in St Andrews yesterday, nothing too fancy but a decent middling restaurant. Not pub grub but not the Old Course Hotel.

The food was good but the service was terrible, which was no surprise to us as sadly it's what we're used to when out for a meal in Scotland. It has actually become a running joke, keeping track of all the examples of poor service when we're out.

We were seated at our table with menus and told someone would be with us in a minute. After being ignored for 10 minutes we asked another waiter who was setting a nearby table if we could order drinks. He took the order and drinks arrived after a few minutes.

The waitress who delivered the drinks turned to walk away without asking if we were ready to order food, so we stopped her and said we'd like to order.

I had a steak but was not given a steak knife. As the waiter went to walk away I again stopped him and asked for a steak knife, to which he replied of course, but then forgot and left me sitting for a few minutes before someone else came by who I asked for the knife. He apologised and brought me one right away.

After finishing the meal we sat with empty plates and glasses for about 15 minutes, before eventually getting a waiter's attention to ask for the bill (clearly nobody was interested in asking us if we wanted dessert or another drink). The bill was brought over right away but we were then left alone again for over 10 minutes without anyone coming over for payment. Eventually we decided to get up and pay on the way out.

As said, this experience is pretty typical when we're out. Some might say we're not going to the right places, and no doubt the Old Course will have had better service but that's not the point. Even a pub serving food should treat their customers better than this. It's almost certainly a case of the staff not giving a shit about their job, but it's also very poor from their managers for not getting standards up (they likely don't care either). 

We're not fussy and will have the occasional Wetherspoons grub or a McDonalds, but for a restaurant this is absolute bare minimum stuff.

Service jobs are ran down in this country. Service staff arent treated well by employers, who are increasingly emboldened to treat workers like shit by a govt who are becoming increasingly malevolent, is my hot take. 

ETA... This leads to the young team taking these jobs and giving them the level of respect they get back. Theres a whole generation or two of young folks now who look at the world with their own eyes, having broke free of the gammon "in my day" chains. They now take a job, get treated like shite, and shrug their shoulders and say "GTF" when someone lectures them about "taking pride in their work" and so forth. And good on them btw.  

Edited by Bairnardo

22 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

3 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Forgans.

It was far from the worst service experience we've had recently (that award goes to Malmaison Dundee).

The fascinating thing is hearing this and looking at the recent reviews on something like Trip Advisor. There the service is lavished with praise for several visits in the past few days, which just emphasizes how you have to take those rating sites with a (large) grain of salt. Just like my daughters favorite burger joint only rates a middling 3.8 of 5, but I’ve never had bad service, a non-cheerful server, or a bad experience there.

4 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The fascinating thing is hearing this and looking at the recent reviews on something like Trip Advisor. There the service is lavished with praise for several visits in the past few days, which just emphasizes how you have to take those rating sites with a (large) grain of salt. Just like my daughters favorite burger joint only rates a middling 3.8 of 5, but I’ve never had bad service, a non-cheerful server, or a bad experience there.

I actually looked at the reviews out of curiosity before going, although I had been once before about 6 years ago and remembered it being good.

My local fitba team, the Colorado Rapids (57 miles door to door) have just released their kit for the upcoming season. Over the years, I've seen them play in every shirt-short-socks combination of burgundy-white and white-burgundy and it looks smart as. Yet for some reason, they insist on shoehorning sky blue into the mix. Here's  the latest effort.

lfgno819ldqobjvp3jnv.jpg 

Now, no offence to the fans of West Ham, Burnley or Aston Villa (OK, maybe just a little) but burgundy, maroon, claret or whatever you call it, does NOT look good with sky blue. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Somebody should do something.