Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

The use of 'just about' by commentators.

He just about saved it - to me that means he failed and it went in, not that the keeper managed to push it round it post.

He just about was on target - seems mean it was off target and a miss and not a goal/save

Just about is surely a fail,

just about tall enough to ride a rollercoaster means you are not tall enough.

Yeah thats one that seems to have changed significantly over the years, particularly with English commentators. Don't hear it so much up hear although I think I did hear that overly excitable c**t Liam McLeod use it recently. 

30 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

He just about saved it - to me that means he failed and it went in, not that the keeper managed to push it round it post.

He just about was on target - seems mean it was off target and a miss and not a goal/save

He only just saved it, is what they should be saying. Grinds my gears too.

2 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Absolutely correct.

They've seemingly confused 'just about' with 'only just'.

5 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

100% agree. One that's just about as bad is "near miss." If it was a near miss, wasn't it a hit then?

15 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

The dictionary suggests you might be wrong -

"You use just about to indicate that what you are talking about is in fact the case, but only by a very small degree or amount. I can just about tolerate it at the moment."

OR

Why do British people say just about?

"British football announcers often use “just about” to mean that the objective was accomplished but by the smallest of margins whereas in the US, that phrase would imply that the objective was not accomplished narrowly".
Edited by hk blues

Toilet stopped flushing last night, after a couple minutes worked out it was the syphon was broken, no problem picked up one today 5 minute job, wrong.

What an absolute pain in the hole to get the stupid b*****d thing to seal, thankfully I had some Boss white in the van and just smothered it, seemed to have done the trick but those rubber washers are absolutely pish.

On 11/01/2023 at 10:41, Stellaboz said:

"Great first touch for a big guy".

What?! Why should taller players not have a great first touch? Is there a monopoly on them from shorter players? 

I’ll speculate here, it’s assumed by being tall that the reason you are playing at the level you are is due to your physical attributes and not technical ability.   You do wonder why a reflective phrase like quite strong for a wee man isn’t nearly used as much tho.

11 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Boiler in the caravan packed in last month due to the cold weather,the heating company have said a new boiler is needed quoting us for supply and fit for a new boiler and a new mixer tap £2250.The boiler is only £567 new and it is only 9 months old.

I've noticed more than one person on my timeline has recently been to Turkey for a Gastric Sleeve.

Fair play, that's quite a step to make, and they are looking pretty well. Good for them. But that's not the annoying thing...

People in the comments saying "well done" "you're doing amazing!!" & "#Thinspiration" get on my tits. How?! They haven't made a lifestyle change and worked their arse off to lose excess weight, they've quite literally massively reduced the size of their stomach so they can't eat anywhere near as much as they did before. The minute they had surgery they were guaranteed to lose weight with little to no effort.

11 hours ago, Empty It said:

Toilet stopped flushing last night, after a couple minutes worked out it was the syphon was broken, no problem picked up one today 5 minute job, wrong.

What an absolute pain in the hole to get the stupid b*****d thing to seal, thankfully I had some Boss white in the van and just smothered it, seemed to have done the trick but those rubber washers are absolutely pish.

I think you must have fitted the flush back to front then. 

6 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've noticed more than one person on my timeline has recently been to Turkey for a Gastric Sleeve.

Fair play, that's quite a step to make, and they are looking pretty well. Good for them. But that's not the annoying thing...

People in the comments saying "well done" "you're doing amazing!!" & "#Thinspiration" get on my tits. How?! They haven't made a lifestyle change and worked their arse off to lose excess weight, they've quite literally massively reduced the size of their stomach so they can't eat anywhere near as much as they did before. The minute they had surgery they were guaranteed to lose weight with little to no effort.

Maybe you should get the number of the clinic?