Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

16 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Having a raggedy nail and no access to a nail file. Hate biting my nails so end up trying to file it on anything remotely abrasive like my trousers. The thing has an amazing ability to catch on anything.

In such a scenario, I file it down against the inside ridge of my lower front teeth (no biting required). It gives me a sense of enormous well-being...

Eta: on a tangent Aberdeen's airport bus service is my PTTGOYN of the morning.  Great regular speedy service, but absolutely shite should you want to take large bags to the f***ing airport or bus station (absolutely no space for luggage).  I mean, why on earth would somebody want to take luggage with them.

Edited by Hedgecutter

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure if you're taking the piss here, but no-one has ever had to open a can of beans, or anything else, from both ends.

And 5/-.

1. It's the easiest way to get the one stuck to the bottom

2. Not sure the pre-decimalisation price...but Mid-70s it was  definitely around 25p.

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure if you're taking the piss here, but no-one has ever had to open a can of beans, or anything else, from both ends.

Happy to be corrected here, but I seem to remember back in the '70's (yes, I know.........) Birds Eye flogged frozen concentrated orange juice which basically came in a container very similar to the cardboard tube insert from a loo roll with a metal cap at each end. You popped off both caps, unrolled the tube and diluted the frozen OJ cylinder in a jug of water.

(Not as good as ToniBell Miniballs, though.................)  ETA - Found ad on YT.....

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

In such a scenario, I file it down against the inside ridge of my lower front teeth (no biting required). It gives me a sense of enormous well-being...

Eta: on a tangent Aberdeen's airport bus service is my PTTGOYN of the morning.  Great regular speedy service, but absolutely shite should you want to take large bags to the f***ing airport or bus station (absolutely no space for luggage).  I mean, why on earth would somebody want to take luggage with them.

I once got the Jet bus to Aberdeen airport and got lobbed off it along with everyone else, as there was a lassie who was incomprehensibly wasted on it, who fell and split her face open etc. The driver wanted f**k all to do with her, so he stopped the bus, got off and ordered another bus. It was most inconvenient. 

On 27/10/2022 at 13:56, Shotgun said:

Agree. Proficiency tests should be required before people are allowed to operate these machines. At the very least, a basic understanding of hand signals.

See the source image

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

2. Not sure the pre-decimalisation price...but Mid-70s it was  definitely around 25p.

Tried to find an answer, and ended up down the -2p beans rabbit hole instead.

http://www.factfiend.com/time-store-paid-people-take-stuff/

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I never smoked pre-decimalisation, I was simply trying, and failing, to be a clever b*****d. When I smoked, Regal King Size,  in the late seventies/early eighties cigarettes were really cheap. Goodness knows what you pay now, £10 for twenty?

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Happy to be corrected here, but I seem to remember back in the '70's (yes, I know.........) Birds Eye flogged frozen concentrated orange juice which basically came in a container very similar to the cardboard tube insert from a loo roll with a metal cap at each end. You popped off both caps, unrolled the tube and diluted the frozen OJ cylinder in a jug of water.

(Not as good as ToniBell Miniballs, though.................)  ETA - Found ad on YT.....

Wow, that's brilliant. I remember that now and definitely had that or similar at the time. 

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I never smoked pre-decimalisation, I was simply trying, and failing, to be a clever b*****d. When I smoked, Regal King Size,  in the late seventies/early eighties cigarettes were really cheap. Goodness knows what you pay now, £10 for twenty?

That's maybe not enough.

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 27/10/2022 at 16:06, bennett said:

That's usually me just remembering that I've forgotten something.

Schrodinger's something...... 

Edited by IncomingExile

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Wow, that's brilliant. I remember that now and definitely had that or similar at the time. 

Still have those, at least here in the Colonies. Most often used for fruit based drink mixes (Pina Colada and such). It’s slightly fancier now, with a plastic pull band that secures one end of the roll. Tear it off, and dump it out into a pitcher and mix in water or alcohol, your choice.

I remember a documentary about it.trading places 2 (1).jpg