Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Got a new car. 

No likey the lack of a "normal" handbrake, plus it's far too clever for its own good. Tries to interfere with sudden steering shifts. Sometimes you need a sudden wee shift in steering to avoid wildlife or puddles in the road at night. 

First World problems etc, I know. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Got a new car. 

No likey the lack of a "normal" handbrake, plus it's far too clever for its own good. Tries to interfere with sudden steering shifts. Sometimes you need a sudden wee shift in steering to avoid wildlife or puddles in the road at night. 

I will give you "too clever for its own good." but as far as the electronic parking brake goes?  In 4 weeks you'll be asking why all cars don't have them.

4 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Got a new car. 

Now I dare say Oor Joe, being a fine fellow, is a careful and law-abiding driver but I can't help but think there's a point to be made about selling technologically advanced vehicles to fuckwits that can't even be bothered to signal when they're turning left or right

Edited by tamthebam
Spellung

29 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Now I dare say Oor Joe, being a fine fellow, is a careful and law-abiding driver but I can't help but think there's a point to be made about selling technologically advanced vehicles to fuckwits that can't even be bothered to signal when they're turning left or right

I'm a 58 year old stickler for clicking on the indicator Tam. Even for unexpected wildlife appearances and puddles. Mirror, signal and swerve roond the c**t as per the Highway Code. 

Hotel toasters. The one this morning took 5 minutes and only toasted one side.

Another time a number of years ago I set off the smoke alarm after having being fed up with putting my lukewarm bread on the conveyor belt for the fourth time I turned the heat up resulting in scorched bread.

13 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Got a new car. 

I switched that stupid steering thing, lane assist I think it's called, off after about five minutes. Bloody pain in the arse.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I admit that I didn't have you down as one of A'deen's Bouley Bashers, but every day's a school day.  Aye, they're no good for a handbrake turn.

A handbrake turn will get you into a tighter parking space with considerably more panache than reversing in. 

2 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Hotel toasters. The one this morning took 5 minutes and only toasted one side.

Another time a number of years ago I set off the smoke alarm after having being fed up with putting my lukewarm bread on the conveyor belt for the fourth time I turned the heat up resulting in scorched bread.

They make "broast" - not bread, not toast.

On 23/10/2022 at 05:07, hk blues said:

I'm maybe not understanding your post. In my setup, I don't actually know the admin password - the ISP tech set it up and it's not the default one shown in the info. sheet. Regardless, I am able to change the WiFi password whenever I like as would anyone else who has the WiFi password.

I think you've understood me fine.

If you can do what you say, effectively taking down all peer users at will, there's something very bad going on.

You could be working away, and anyone else who has the password for using the same WiFi as you're using for Internet access could just lock you out - because user = admin.

I've only ever seen configurations where there are separate user and admin roles.

(But I'm feeling well-disposed towards routers tonight anyway. I've just migrated a sports club website from a noisy desktop to a quiet laptop, before we have friends coming to stay in "the desktop room". GIRFUY, as we never say in Computer Club. Which we never talk about.)

5 hours ago, sugna said:

I think you've understood me fine.

If you can do what you say, effectively taking down all peer users at will, there's something very bad going on.

You could be working away, and anyone else who has the password for using the same WiFi as you're using for Internet access could just lock you out - because user = admin.

I've only ever seen configurations where there are separate user and admin roles.

(But I'm feeling well-disposed towards routers tonight anyway. I've just migrated a sports club website from a noisy desktop to a quiet laptop, before we have friends coming to stay in "the desktop room". GIRFUY, as we never say in Computer Club. Which we never talk about.)

Yep...as I said in a later post I think I was wrong and that, in fact, when logged is as a user I cannot change the password. My confusion was that when the tech guy set it up he must have been logged in as admin when he get me to set the password and I didn't realise.  

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Yep...as I said in a later post I think I was wrong and that, in fact, when logged is as a user I cannot change the password. My confusion was that when the tech guy set it up he must have been logged in as admin when he get me to set the password and I didn't realise.  

Unusual. IT guys normally explain everything that they're doing.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

Ah right, I think I missed that post.

That explanation sounds a lot more like the way that routers are usually designed.

On 17/10/2022 at 17:03, Raidernation said:

this time, AA is actually working for me. But don't worry I'm no evangelist, I hated it for years, it's more the people than the organisation. I have almost no friends here, but have now made some very good sober friends through AA and that is what is keeping me going. Do I agree with 12 steps? Yes/No/Maybe but it has introduced me to people I like to hang out with that are sober and understand me.

That was always my attitude whenever I was going, Yes/No/Maybe! :lol:

A mate of mine, through AA, always said a good dose of Chritianity would "cure" most alcoholics. After all, AA evolved from the Oxford Groups, an evangelical Chrisitian association, and AA added on 2 more steps to their 10.

What bugged me about AA was the controlling sponsors - usually of women by men - who vicariously ran other people's lives. I never got a sponsor, nor did I sponsor anybody else.

A lot of creeps in AA, tbh particularly men preying on women, but also a lot of good folk, just like any group of flawed people.