Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Obviously giving relative strangers access to your internet is for maniacs but if you have friends or family staying you can set up a guest network on your router

Any dodgy traffic will still be traced to the router though.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Any dodgy traffic will still be traced to the router though.

That is true. I was thinking more along the lines of those worried about getting locked out of their own router. Easier to explain to the authorities who was using your wifi at that time though if they do come knocking

Took my son to swimming lessons today at 8am. On the way in passed at least four guys drinking cans on the street, shouting and roaring at each other. On the way out some shambling mad looking guy had a giant pitbull off the lead right outside the pool meaning we had to walk round the block to avoid him.

image.gif.5d4528b34e2fae5cc4a67fa58d589cf1.gif

On 21/10/2022 at 09:45, hk blues said:

Even with very limited tech knowledge he'd have been able to change your password.

There are generally two independent passwords associated with a wireless router: the router admin password, and the WiFi network password.

Without the former, which should be very difficult to crack, it isn't possible to do anything other than as a client device of the WiFi network.

But it's another example of how the bad people (would-be freeloading neighbours) push the bad feelings resulting from their badness onto the blameless people*.

"I have this selfish, outrageous imposition! You accommodate me now, or feel terrible for being unhelpful!"

* disclaimer: I have never met superwell87, so I'm just assuming blamelessness here.

17 hours ago, sugna said:

There are generally two independent passwords associated with a wireless router: the router admin password, and the WiFi network password.

Without the former, which should be very difficult to crack, it isn't possible to do anything other than as a client device of the WiFi .

I'm maybe not understanding your post. In my setup, I don't actually know the admin password - the ISP tech set it up and it's not the default one shown in the info. sheet. Regardless, I am able to change the WiFi password whenever I like as would anyone else who has the WiFi password.

32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'm maybe not understanding your post. In my setup, I don't actually know the admin password - the ISP tech set it up and it's not the default one shown in the info. sheet. Regardless, I am able to change the WiFi password whenever I like as would anyone else who has the WiFi password.

Is admin password not the one on the router?  Usually just a bunch of letters and numbers.

30 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Is admin password not the one on the router?  Usually just a bunch of letters and numbers.

Not sure mate.

My router has a separate username and password for both admin and user logins. If I wanted to go into the router settings menu I'd need to log into the admin ID to do that. There is a router ID as you describe on the back.

In all honesty, I may be talking bollocks now as I've not tried to do anything with the router and password for yonks. We got a new router a couple of years back and the installer set it up and I gave him the old WiFi password to use with the new router.

I might take a look at how to change password.