Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 16/07/2022 at 21:29, DA Baracus said:

Shite ratings systems.

One of the podcasts I watch on Youtube used to have a rating system of 4 stars. Just a poor system to rate things. 2 stars means it's 'half good', but only one rating above 1 star. Is 3 stars really just under the top rating?

They changed it to 5 stars a few years ago.

A games magazine I read when I was a kid had a rating system that went from 0 to 1000.

I'm sure they had many a row over whether 900 was the correct score to give Sonic the Hedgehog, or if 901 was strictly a more accurate representation of the game's quality.

10 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Americans saying the word herbs, how they get uuurbs from those letters, it starts with an H ffs.

I could care less.

On 15/07/2022 at 08:39, FK1Bairn said:

Also, bus stops at roundabouts. Means big queues as there's usually traffic islands so nobody can pass

I give you the magnificence that is the St Machar Rd/King St roundabout in Aberdeen.

The roundabout has four exits, and each one has a pedestrian crossing within a cars length of the exit, and two have a bus stop within a bus length of the crossing. Throw in some shops with parking and timed bus lanes that no-one seems able to understand they can use when it not peak time, and two of the exits going from two lanes to one almost immediately and you have almost the complete bingo card of road planning stupidity in one spot.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

I could care less.

Oh god, absolutely that one.

And how about 'momentarily', as in "He'll be here momentarily." That means 'for a very brief time', not 'very soon'.

And when you table something at a meeting, it means to put it on the table for discussion, not the exact opposite.

16 hours ago, philpy said:

Despite it being warm as f**k, we are not allowed to wear shorts at work in the yard/warehouse areas for "health and safety reasons".

Slap on one of the missus' skirts.

Has anyone mentioned Graham - or "Gram" - yet? The Americans are a big fan of his crackers.

Oh, another thing that makes me wish the entire continental USA would just sink into the ocean - the number of times one of their sentences contains an entirely superfluous "of". Example I saw on Twitter yesterday - "I made ramen noodles inside of a washing machine". Sentence works perfectly well without the "of" you thick, uneducated colonial fuckwit. 😡

And yes, I know Scots are guilty of this too, e.g. "Eh got bitten aff of a dug", but educated Scots tend not to do it, whereas I see it all the time with Yanks.

2 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Oh, another thing that makes me wish the entire continental USA would just sink into the ocean - the number of times one of their sentences contains an entirely superfluous "of". Example I saw on Twitter yesterday - "I made ramen noodles inside of a washing machine". Sentence works perfectly well without the "of" you thick, uneducated colonial fuckwit. 😡

And yes, I know Scots are guilty of this too, e.g. "Eh got bitten aff of a dug", but educated Scots tend not to do it, whereas I see it all the time with Yanks.

I do this exclusively for people or things off of the telly usually for a mildly comedic effect. 

I admire your commitment to pedantry that it was a superfluous word that irritated you about that tweet, and not the attention seeking cuntery behind the content. 

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I do this exclusively for people or things off of the telly usually for a mildly comedic effect. 

I admire your commitment to pedantry that it was a superfluous word that irritated you about that tweet, and not the attention seeking cuntery behind the content. 

It's somewhere South of mildly.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

"I made ramen noodles inside of a washing machine". Sentence works perfectly well without the "of" you thick, uneducated colonial fuckwit

That's another pet hate of mine. 'Of' only works if the sentence includes a 'the' - i.e. The inside of a coal mine is very dark. Not 'Inside of a coal mine'.

And their inability to use the word 'here' without a prefix of 'right'. Especially when they're a bit vague about the place they mean and say "right about here" which is fucking meaningless. "It's in this exact spot, more or less."

And tacking the word 'already' onto any instruction they give somebody. "Turn that music down already!" If they've already done it you don't have to tell them.

31 minutes ago, GordonD said:

That's another pet hate of mine. 'Of' only works if the sentence includes a 'the' - i.e. The inside of a coal mine is very dark. Not 'Inside of a coal mine'.

And their inability to use the word 'here' without a prefix of 'right'. Especially when they're a bit vague about the place they mean and say "right about here" which is fucking meaningless. "It's in this exact spot, more or less."

And tacking the word 'already' onto any instruction they give somebody. "Turn that music down already!" If they've already done it you don't have to tell them.

Still nobody else annoyed at them putting noodles in the washing machine then