Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

We should preserve fine Scots words like "outwith" and "anent"

The tightening up of Scots criminal law has also dealt a blow to fine names for criminal offences like "plagium" and "hamesucking" (steady now Kenneth)

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Womens football? too many of the games are too one sided to make it credible IMO, NI were 66/1 to beat England.

wtf?

Made a few quid betting on it though.

Thank you.

Have they done anything about the comedic, almost Jack Hamilton-esque standard of 'goalkeeping'?

Folk taking suitcases onto planes as carry on mildly annoys me. How much of a hassle is waiting  15 mins for a bag at the other end. 

reached ridiculous standards on my trip back to HK. A number of folk couldn’t get their suitcase in the overhead locks as they were too heavy. 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We should preserve fine Scots words like "outwith" and "anent"

The  tightening up of Scots criminal law has also dealt a blow to fine names for criminal offences like "plagium" and "hamesucking" (steady now Kenneth)

That would be 'gettin tiched' something the East Coast Wives are not.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Have they done anything about the comedic, almost Jack Hamilton-esque standard of 'goalkeeping'?

Why have they not made the goals smaller?

Generally females are smaller and they are playing in goals they can't touch the bar in.

Mental, just lob them.

9 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Generally females are smaller and they are playing in goals they can't touch the bar in.

Mental, just lob them.

And just like the wimmin only play three sets at Wimbledon, they should make the football half an hour each way.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

And just like the wimmin only play three sets at Wimbledon, they should make the football half an hour each way.

I just looked it up to check and seemingly it is a big divide among females, some agree and others think it is insulting.

Loads of sports change the dimensions, surely it would make it a better game?

45 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Mental, just lob them.

Professional female footballers are almost certainly taller than make footballers were when the existing goal dimensions were established.

It should therefore be the male sport that increases goal size to account for the 6 foot 5 (and athletic as well) mutants that now ruin the game.

Going back a fair bit here but it was on the radio earlier and reminded me.

When Whitesnake did the re recording of Here I Go Again and changed the lyrics to "Like a drifter" from the original and much better "Like a hobo". In fact, the original version of the song is just much better all round.

Professional female footballers are almost certainly taller than make footballers were when the existing goal dimensions were established.
It should therefore be the male sport that increases goal size to account for the 6 foot 5 (and athletic as well) mutants that now ruin the game.
The advances in ball manufacture have surely evened that out. Play with a 1890s football today and every game would be 0-0.

22 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Sky don't inform you of the par for the hole. 

Basic stuff. 

To be fair though with the distances these boys are driving the pars almost seem irrelevant (insert your own joke here) when they're driving par 4s with ease.

23 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ve always found that strange.  Maybe some day the rest of the world will catch up.

Yep.

I was in a meeting with a Scottish guy down in Watford and the word cropped up - one of our  southern colleagues was aghast and made such a huge deal about it and behaved as if we'd spoken in Chinese.

22 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  'outwith' is almost exclusively Scottish.  Its 'pal' is 'without' as in "There is a green hill far away without a city wall" meaning 'outside'.  Written by an Anglo-Irish hymn writer.

But 'without' carries on in the names of some City of  London churches such as "Saint Botolph Without Aldgate".

I tried without success to convince a Southern colleague that outwith is not only a word but a word which is more correct than without in many situations. Without means not existing whilst outwith means existing but outside of a particular "category.

11 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I tried without success to convince a Southern colleague that outwith is not only a word but a word which is more correct than without in many situations. Without means not existing whilst outwith means existing but outside of a particular "category.

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Did telling him twice work?

May have been mentioned already, may just be me but......

BBC Scotland have started doing competitions to win gig tickets and it's going on all summer.

Full of all the usual chat about "full terms and conditions available at......" etc etc.

Fucksake, if I wanted shite like this I would listen to Heart, Kiss, Forth, Clyde or one of these other pishy  commercial stations.

19 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Womens football? too many of the games are too one sided to make it credible IMO, NI were 66/1 to beat England.

wtf?

Made a few quid betting on it though.

Thank you.

It’s a terrible watch overall. There is 5 good teams and 11 abysmal ones and most matches are utterly pointless.

10 hours ago, HK Hibee said:

Folk taking suitcases onto planes as carry on mildly annoys me. How much of a hassle is waiting  15 mins for a bag at the other end. 

reached ridiculous standards on my trip back to HK. A number of folk couldn’t get their suitcase in the overhead locks as they were too heavy. 

That's because it's significantly cheaper to do than have the bags checked.

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

It’s a terrible watch overall. There is 5 good teams and 11 abysmal ones and most matches are utterly pointless.

Think you've just described most of the men's leagues in Europe m8.