Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see photos like this a lot. Queues are shite, but I also feel there's a fair bit of historical revisionism going on about passport control queues prior to Brexit. They absolutely existed, and they could take a considerable time to get through depending how late you got off your plane.

They may be worse now, but not by anything like as much as is being made out.

I don't remember ever taking more than half an hour tops to get out of an airport pre Brexit, apart from shortly after 9/11 in Washington. Mind you I haven't been in bad queues since Brexit either. There were a lot of pissed of locals getting off a plane in Lisbon during covid when there was a separate queue for non EU flyers and there was only me and couple of others swanning past the EU queue. Schiphol's got a bit annoying since Brexit but not massively so.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:
Betting on us and backing us up on matters horticultural.  Big team found.

Suppose we should let yous have that if it distracts you from singing about all that other stuff....

John Lundstram?

1 hour ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Yes they are.  We've got a song about them and everything.

And someday somebody will write a second line.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't remember ever taking more than half an hour tops to get out of an airport pre Brexit, apart from shortly after 9/11 in Washington. Mind you I haven't been in bad queues since Brexit either. There were a lot of pissed of locals getting off a plane in Lisbon during covid when there was a separate queue for non EU flyers and there was only me and couple of others swanning past the EU queue. Schiphol's got a bit annoying since Brexit but not massively so.

The old passport control in Edinburgh always used to piss me off.  One queue for EU and one for the rest.  The EU queue was always hoaching while the rest had about half a dozen people in it that flew through.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:
Betting on us and backing us up on matters horticultural.  Big team found.

Suppose we should let yous have that if it distracts you from singing about all that other stuff....

Its probably a song about bluebells marching over to Ireland and battering all the f****n shamrocks.

Disgusting.

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bluebells.

They're not blue, so whoever came up with that name needs a good slap in the puss.

I have it on good authority that, while they are indeed quite dandy, dandelions are not in fact lions. 

I have it on good authority that, while they are indeed quite dandy, dandelions are not in fact lions. 
Good thread for a dandelion mention.

I absolutely hate those b*****ds

Colleague left work with a cheerful "Mind and cheer on the rangers tonight!" shouted in my door as he walked past.

No, I absolutely will fucking not.

4 hours ago, coprolite said:

But dandelion is from the French dent-de-lion (teeth of the lion), named after the jagged shape of the leaves, so chew on that.

4 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

But dandelion is from the French dent-de-lion (teeth of the lion), named after the jagged shape of the leaves, so chew on that.

pee-the-bed is a name for them in England given the diuretic properties of dandelions. 

6 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Colleague left work with a cheerful "Mind and cheer on the rangers tonight!" shouted in my door as he walked past.

No, I absolutely will fucking not.

Should have posted this in the Reasons to be cheerful thread.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

pee-the-bed is a name for them in England given the diuretic properties of dandelions. 

Used to call them that in Dundee a few decades ago.

Think of all the folk waking up this morning with loser flags hanging from poles and windows. Slowly bringing them in, tidying them away to be kept in a cupboard for 50 more years. All with a tear running down a cheek. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Think of all the folk waking up this morning with loser flags hanging from poles and windows. Slowly bringing them in, tidying them away to be kept in a cupboard for 50 more years. All with a tear running down a cheek. 

This isn't petty. It's glorious.