Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

52 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

All the 'Absolute' stations are like that. It's like they only have one cd on a loop every week. 

I was saying to my brother the other day, we both listen to Absolute Radio 90s in our cars and I said they've probably only ever played 100 songs on it.

Edit - 520 weeks of indie/rock songs released and they play 100.

Edited by TheScarf

A wee guy came to my door the other day asking if I would be interested in taking part in the Radio Listeners Survey. I told him I don't listen to radio and he said "not even in the car?" and I said "especially not in the car". He looked puzzled/sad and said "okay" then left. I would say I'm surprised that radio is still a thing given the free choice of music and podcasts people have but I suppose there's still a large number of brain dead traditionalists who continue to keep wankers like Nick Grimshaw in employment. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A wee guy came to my door the other day asking if I would be interested in taking part in the Radio Listeners Survey. I told him I don't listen to radio and he said "not even in the car?" and I said "especially not in the car". He looked puzzled/sad and said "okay" then left. I would say I'm surprised that radio is still a thing given the free choice of music and podcasts people have but I suppose there's still a large number of brain dead traditionalists who continue to keep wankers like Nick Grimshaw in employment. 

You’re a bit cut off from the world if you just listen to your own music all the time. Particularly when at work I think it’s good to be listening to the radio for current updates.

1 minute ago, throbber said:

You’re a bit cut off from the world if you just listen to your own music all the time. Particularly when at work I think it’s good to be listening to the radio for current updates.

Lol wut.

In what way does choosing the music I listen to cut me off from the world? What do you need current updates on urgently at work? 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Lol wut.

In what way does choosing the music I listen to cut me off from the world? What do you need current updates on urgently at work? 

It’s not the choice of music I’m just saying it’s good to have the radio on at work as it keeps you up to date with latest news stories/conversations. I usually keep my playlists til the journey home and then have radio on when at work.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

It’s not the choice of music I’m just saying it’s good to have the radio on at work as it keeps you up to date with latest news stories/conversations. I usually keep my playlists til the journey home and then have radio on when at work.

I have a thing in my pocket which contains all of the worlds news at the click of a button. Radio stations serve no purpose but to entertain the brain dead. Perhaps I should put that in the unpopular opinions though. 

I go through phases of it. Sometimes I listen to the radio a lot. Others just my own music. Depends on my mood. 

Cannot stand many DJs. Gave up on Radio 2 years ago as their roster is all dreadful. Jeremy fucking Vine. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

I have a thing in my pocket which contains all of the worlds news at the click of a button. Radio stations serve no purpose but to entertain the brain dead. Perhaps I should put that in the unpopular opinions though. 

That is a real sweeping generalisation. I don’t even think Nick Grimshaw is on any radio station now either.

I like having the radio on with current conversation when I’m working - whether it’s talking about last nights games or news stories/phone ins i much prefer it as background noise to continuous music on a playlist. 

Just now, throbber said:

That is a real sweeping generalisation. I don’t even think Nick Grimshaw is on any radio station now either.

He was literally the first radio arsehole that came to mind. I would need examples of excellent radio shows to change my mind tbh. Largely shite music loosely interrupted by big headed wankers who think they're more important than they are. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

He was literally the first radio arsehole that came to mind. I would need examples of excellent radio shows to change my mind tbh. Largely shite music loosely interrupted by big headed wankers who think they're more important than they are. 

James O Brien on LBC? I also like ken Bruce on radio 2, particularly pop master. 

Just now, throbber said:

James O Brien on LBC? I also like ken Bruce on radio 2, particularly pop master. 

Oh god no, political shows are the worst of the worst - and James Obrien absolutely thinks he's more important than he is. I understand easy listening stuff but still, if I want easy listening I can choose my own music that I know I like. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

1 minute ago, throbber said:

Homie failed at the first opportunity. 

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You're assuming that you can get your internet everywhere you go. There are many many parts of the country where you get no phone signal and/or internet, but you do get a radio signal when in your car. People may look at 'old school' stuff like radio and say it's not required any more. However, the 'old school' stuff can be a lot more resilient than the newfangled internet stuff.

Just look at the situation in Ukraine at the moment. It would be relatively easy for Russia to kill the internet to parts of Ukraine, thus depriving the population of information. It's a lot more difficult, if not impossible, to block radio transmissions from other countries. I know that's a large leap from the discussion about how people listen to their music on a daily basis, but I'm just trying to illustrate that new isn't always a complete replacement for old.

41 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

You're assuming that you can get your internet everywhere you go. There are many many parts of the country where you get no phone signal and/or internet, but you do get a radio signal when in your car. People may look at 'old school' stuff like radio and say it's not required any more. However, the 'old school' stuff can be a lot more resilient than the newfangled internet stuff.

Just look at the situation in Ukraine at the moment. It would be relatively easy for Russia to kill the internet to parts of Ukraine, thus depriving the population of information. It's a lot more difficult, if not impossible, to block radio transmissions from other countries. I know that's a large leap from the discussion about how people listen to their music on a daily basis, but I'm just trying to illustrate that new isn't always a complete replacement for old.

If the Russians ever do that to us I'll just phone throbber. No need for me to put myself through mundane radio every day. 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

You're saying all of this like it's a bad thing.

I used to listen to bbc 6 music. Discovered many good bands and went to some good gigs due to the music they introduced me to. But in the past 2 years it's become unlistenable.

The DJs they have are so far up their own backsides.

I now listen to podcasts and books.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Oh god no, political shows are the worst of the worst - and James Obrien absolutely thinks he's more important than he is. I understand easy listening stuff but still, if I want easy listening I can choose my own music that I know I like. 

It depends how many hours a week you’re talking here - if you’re listening for 40 hours a week that’s a hell of lot of playlist to go making. I also just like having it on for background noise I’m not taking in every single word that’s being said.

20 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

You're saying all of this like it's a bad thing.

I just enjoy feeling more connected with the outside world during work hours then zoning out when I get home. Different strokes for different folks.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

It depends how many hours a week you’re talking here - if you’re listening for 40 hours a week that’s a hell of lot of playlist to go making. I also just like having it on for background noise I’m not taking in every single word that’s being said.

With apps like Spotify its really simple to just shuffle play everything you have saved in your library, and I'd rather spend an hour or two putting together stuff I liked than having the radio on for more than 5 minutes. I do love my music so I concede if folk aren't that bothered about what they listen to then radio is ideal, but on this very thread all you have is listeners complaining about how mundane it is. 

6 minutes ago, Oystercatcher said:

I used to listen to bbc 6 music. Discovered many good bands and went to some good gigs due to the music they introduced me to. But in the past 2 years it's become unlistenable.

The DJs they have are so far up their own backsides.

I now listen to podcasts and books.

Depends. Lauren Laverne has always been good, but Mary Anne Hobbs plays some complete shite. 

They did a Prince tribute day which MAH completely fucked a few months back.

Used to like Shaun Keaveney and was a bit pissed off when Charles was moved into his slot - but to be honest the music he plays and guests are a big improvement.

I find Steve Lamaque unlistenable tho.......

And dont get me started on their Wales obsession.

Actually, I might have talked myself round to your POV !!