Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

In the meejah, there's an assumption that places in Ingerlund are known to all whereas those in Scotland are unworthy of a mention as whogivesashit. Bad enough from Fleet Street/BBC London, but it's rife in Scotland too. Generally lazy journalism, can't be bothered correcting press puffs. And no sub-editors.

as in (from Saturday's Herald) "Royal Navy aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has returned to it's home base following visits to Liverpool and Scotland". 

Not just the media but folk living there as well.  And im talking specifically about my stupid sister who lives in London and is always on to me about "coming up to Scotland" next month.

Oh aye? The whole places or do you want to be any more fucking specific?

Just now, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Not just the media but folk living there as well.  And im talking specifically about my stupid sister who lives in London and is always on to me about "coming up to Scotland" next month.

Oh aye? The whole places or do you want to be any more fucking specific?

Scotland. You know. It's just above the North East which is just above the North which is beside the the North West.   It's all about the United Kingdom, innit?

15 minutes ago, philpy said:

Yup. A contestant on tipping point the other day thought king tut's wah wah tent was at Glastonbury....

Could you name all or any of the stages at Glastonbury, or Reading & Leeds, or Download, or any other English music festival?

Are folk on here expecting English people to know or care where anywhere in Scotland is?  You do realise who the majority of English residents vote for, yes?

45 minutes ago, philpy said:

Yup. A contestant on tipping point the other day thought king tut's wah wah tent was at Glastonbury....

29 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Could you name all or any of the stages at Glastonbury, or Reading & Leeds, or Download, or any other English music festival?

King Tut = Tutankhamun = Egypt = Pyramid stage,

Without justifying the stupidity I see the link to the only stage I could name at Glastonbury or anywhere at an English festival.

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

When one flashes* another car to say "I'm letting you go first", only for the other car to flash back to say the same and complicate things in an unnecessary stand-off.

*with headlights

It's the complete opposite here, a flash means, I'm coming get oot ma fuckin way!

According to the Highway Code which we all observe to the letter in the UK

"Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users. Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully."

So @SlipperyP's Singburians have got it right. And we're generally wrong.

There's an urban myth in America that if you see a car at night with its headlights off you should never flash your own to warn the driver, because it's an initiation for somebody wanting to join a street gang: they have to chase down the driver of the car who flashed them and kill him.

There's a rural myth in Thailand, that when driving at night through the paddy fields, you should turn your lights OFF so the ghosts can't see you.  I've been in a few cars and on motorbikes when the driver does it.

Edited by SlipperyP

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

When one flashes* another car to say "I'm letting you go first", only for the other car to flash back to say the same and complicate things in an unnecessary stand-off.

*with headlights

See also flashing someone at tge end of a long line of parked cars only fir them to pull in halfway uo and flash you to go.

Duvits.

6 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

There's a rural myth in Thailand, that when driving at night through the paddy fields, you should turn your lights OFF so the ghosts can't see you.  I've been in a few cars and on motorbikes when the driver does it.

sounds like a good way to become a ghost

Radio stations presumably thinking its a bit quirky or something, to play obscure one hit wonders etc. Aye, it might be a bit of a novelty to hear Hanson - Mmm Bop once every 5 or 6 years, but Central FM literally have it on every day. The whole point of going back years and decades with the music is presumably so that you DON'T have to listen to the same shit day after day.........

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Radio stations presumably thinking its a bit quirky or something, to play obscure one hit wonders etc. Aye, it might be a bit of a novelty to hear Hanson - Mmm Bop once every 5 or 6 years, but Central FM literally have it on every day. The whole point of going back years and decades with the music is presumably so that you DON'T have to listen to the same shit day after day.........

Radio station playlists are dreadful, mostly. 

Take Absolute Classic Rock. You might tune into it and for a week you are convinced it is the best station there is. Two weeks later and Summer of 69 comes back on yet again and you just have to move on. 

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Radio station playlists are dreadful, mostly. 

Take Absolute Classic Rock. You might tune into it and for a week you are convinced it is the best station there is. Two weeks later and Summer of 69 comes back on yet again and you just have to move on. 

aww I love that song

I got my first real sex dream,

I think about you and it's wrong, man, wrong 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

All the 'Absolute' stations are like that. It's like they only have one cd on a loop every week.