Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Our maths teaching in the UK is well behind other countries. I think Indian schools teach trigonometry to ten year olds. 

I went to the first lecture for an advanced econometrics module at university. Me and my (Scottish) friend were lost after about three minutes and sat there looking perplexed while a load of greek and chinese students nodded along and followed proper mad scientist type equations and asked intelligent questions. I think only one brit stayed in that class.

33 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Our maths teaching in the UK is well behind other countries. I think Indian schools teach trigonometry to ten year olds. 

I went to the first lecture for an advanced econometrics module at university. Me and my (Scottish) friend were lost after about three minutes and sat there looking perplexed while a load of greek and chinese students nodded along and followed proper mad scientist type equations and asked intelligent questions. I think only one brit stayed in that class.

You did well to make it to 3 minutes! 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Computers don't understand decimal though. They work on binary. 

Humans don't work on binary so well, but binary doesn't convert well to decimal. Starting a new "level" in hexadecimal coincides with a place value in binary. 0F to 10 is 1111 to 10000, 1F to 20 is 11111 to 100000. I guess it's harder to make typos and easier to spot them if you're typing something more easy to read than a jumble of 1s and zeros. 

I'd be in favour of reinstating the old babylonian base 64 numbers. Far more elegant symmetry than our ape digit based system. 

54b0fb50eeb69ec6d99373aaab2e779c--ladybird-books-foe MATHS.jpg

Edinburgh and it's constant fucking roadworks. My neighbour fell and hurt his shoulder so took him to A&E. - danderhall, no through road towards the hospital,  the wisp - closed at one end for nine weeks.

Edinburgh and it's constant fucking roadworks. My neighbour fell and hurt his shoulder so took him to A&E. - danderhall, no through road towards the hospital,  the wisp - closed at one end for nine weeks.
The whole of Edinburgh is an absolute farce at the moment, pop up over night roadworks with no warning all over the place

Just now, Empty It said:
10 minutes ago, philpy said:

The whole of Edinburgh is an absolute farce at the moment, pop up over night roadworks with no warning all over the place

Same in Glasgow.

Though to be fair, their ability to close multiple main roads in the same location at the same time is top quality trolling

Same in Glasgow.
Though to be fair, their ability to close multiple main roads in the same location at the same time is top quality trolling
Same with Edinburgh, coordinate it so if there would be any obvious diversion to miss the roadworks ensure they're closed completely.

12 minutes ago, Empty It said:
22 minutes ago, philpy said:

It's quicker to walk anywhere in the city centre than waiting for a bus these days in Edinburgh. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Same in Glasgow.

The M8 bridge repairs with associated lane closures at the Charing X underpass are a belter - pretty sure I read something recently where they said they will go on for another four, maybe it was forty, years. They don’t know how to fix the problem apparently. I’m no civil engineer, so I could be talking out my cakehole here (as usual), but surely to Christ they can fix a bridge. No-one is asking them to cure cancer, land a man on Mars, or get St Mirren into the top 6. It’s a road and bridge that has been there since the late 1960s.

Get it fcuking fixed you useless kunts, and don’t take four fcuking years to do it. You’re supposed to know about these things.

There. That’s my take on it, ill-informed or otherwise.

The M8 bridge repairs with associated lane closures at the Charing X underpass are a belter - pretty sure I read something recently where they said they will go on for another four, maybe it was forty, years. They don’t know how to fix the problem apparently. I’m no civil engineer, so I could be talking out my cakehole here (as usual), but surely to Christ they can fix a bridge. No-one is asking them to cure cancer, land a man on Mars, or get St Mirren into the top 6. It’s a road and bridge that has been there since the late 1960s.
Get it fcuking fixed you useless kunts, and don’t take four fcuking years to do it. You’re supposed to know about these things.

You're missing the main obstacle here which is getting roadworkers to actually do something.

1 minute ago, Empty It said:
7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

You're missing the main obstacle here which is getting roadworkers to actually do something.

Damn. Forgot about that. See the big pillars holding the M8 up? Can’t they just put some massive jubilee clips around them and tighten them?

Boosh, job’s a good un’. For my next trick I’m going to sort out the Edinburgh Tram extension and awarding contracts to build ferries without anyone at Holyrood bothering about the small print…. I’ll be back in five minutes on these.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Damn. Forgot about that. See the big pillars holding the M8 up? Can’t they just put some massive jubilee clips around them and tighten them?

Boosh, job’s a good un’. For my next trick I’m going to sort out the Edinburgh Tram extension and awarding contracts to build ferries without anyone at Holyrood bothering about the small print…. I’ll be back in five minutes on these.

I walked under the underpass at Chinatown yesterday, and the only 3 workies there were having a competition to see who could chuck an empty can of coke from inside the fence to the outside, while standing on the outside and reaching through with a set of litter pickers.

It was hugely impressive, but not exactly moving the project forward

Just now, doulikefish said:

Got an email from some mob called Evri about delivering a parcel and have since discovered it's Hermes renamed 

Hermes keep leaving parcels in my "greenhouse".

I don't even have a greenhouse. It just means they have hid it in my garden somewhere.

Got an email from some mob called Evri about delivering a parcel and have since discovered it's Hermes renamed 
Was the email something along the lines of "you'll not be getting your parcel for the foreseeable as we're useless c***s"?

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Hermes keep leaving parcels in my "greenhouse".

I don't even have a greenhouse. It just means they have hid it in my garden somewhere.

Worst game of hide and seek ever. 

6 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I posted this on another thread, but it contains some useful information for you, so I'll repost here

On 28/03/2022 at 17:24, Mark Connolly said:

I noticed they have rebranded themselves as Evri. The good news is they still tell you your parcel will be delivered on a specific day, only to update you one minute before the end of the last delivery window that there has been an issue, and it won't be delivered.

New branding, same useless shite.